1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for LEH trip on Punto in aug-2013

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vipin.rai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My Linea will visit Leh again this September! :)
    4 people like this.
  2. PuntoMJD

PuntoMJD Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Me and my friend planning to visit Leh in July-August this year with either Punto or Vista. PM me if anyone will be interested to join us from pune?. Planning is in progress and will update detail planning once finish.
  3. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    As mentioned earlier I am starting on Aug 22nd and returning Sep 13..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thats great to hear. Are you going to take the Manali route?
    1 person likes this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, ramjn. Manali route is subject to road conditions; if bad, I may climb up and return via Srinagar.
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Any tentative dates that you have planned? Sathya and Sundhu will be doing leh between 22'Aug-13'Sep. I may or may not join.
    1 person likes this.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I have sent a PM to you, Ramesh, containing the details.
    1 person likes this.
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Ravi Sir, Are you talking about this route which will bypass lots of major traffic areas?

Untitled.jpg
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    While going, I will be taking Bangalore>Bijapur>Dhule>Indore>Kishangarh>Ratangarh>Ferozepur>Amritsar>Dalhousie>Srinagar>Leh while going and for returning, Leh>Manali/Srinagar>Bikaner>Palanpur>Vadodara>Pune>Bangalore. I will be bypassing major metros like Jaipur/Delhi/Chandigarh on both up and down journeys.
    1 person likes this.
  10. venka

venka BANNED

Hello All ,

I am lazy enough to write a complete travelogue.

Here is my experience in one post.

We had been to the Leh last year this time , we started on May 19th came back on Jun3rd following is the plan. We had been to there by two Royal Enfield (CL-500, Electra –350 ) and a Tata Safari .

Day Started by Missing flight ended up in rebooking the flight tickets which costed me 54k . What a disaster start right :evilsmile !!! It was dream trip for me from 2007 , cancelled previous year after all the plans due to cloud burst. so didn't back off rebooked the ticket in the next available flight . We reached Delhi, Tata-Safari was waiting for us in Delhi airport. Where did the Safari came from ?? Yeah it was left a day early from Blr our friend and his 6 yr old daughter!!! :eek:

Bullets were booked to Jammu from blr through Gati transport (Packing was just superb – no comments on it.:) ) Journey started from delhi to jammu in Tata safari . Five adults and a kid . :) once we reach Jammu collected bullets and started journey towards Sonmarg via Srinagar.

We went in May Mid , so snow was there all over and it is yet to start for melting. So only few nallahs are crossed. Water was clear we used to get to know the depth of the nallahs hence didn't face any problems of stall of bikes. Hardly we came across 3 to 4 we crossed them without any issues in later part of the trip.

We started From sonmarg around 3PM after lunch and taking petrol for bikes targeting Kargil, we are about 10kM far from India Gate or Capt Mod. It started to rain then Snowing ::O started slowly later point when we are away few Km's from Capt mod it snow started heavily , between trucks were moving slowly due to land slide.

Once we crossed India Gate Snow started heavily barley i can see 4 to 5 feet distance, following a truck made road so that snow will not be there on the roads which was done by cement blocks in 2nd gear at less than 10km speed. By this time only wrist and feet was working everything else feeling numb. :confused:

Asked truck drivers will you take the bike to drass ? No, its not possible was the reply. One driver told there is army post in another few km's go over there they will help you guys. So now we ride our bullet now behind a xylo it was clearing the snow on the road. At last we are about to reach army post , A ferocious Dog came out barking :evilsmile , I was like what a bad luck , We just stand like statue with out any movement . Then two Jawans came out , they called the dog it went inside .

They welcomed us with a smile , Looks like they are familiar to this kind of surprise guests, First point they removed the snow on our jacket and took helmet kept them aside. we are shivering like hell. asked us to sit infront of the stove which is the warmest place in the army post. next offered hot water to drink, dont remember how many glass we drank , By this time all the investigation on our part and road part was done . From where we are , why we are here , any road slide behind ?? same updated in Kargil HQ , they got the permission to keep us for that day in the post.

one Guy from KA , TN , KL were there they made us more comfortable by talking in Kannada and Tamil , later offered their shoes and jackets to wear , by this time a Major from KL came and took us to his room , He connected us to our parents by booking a trunk call to Blr got to know many things about armys secret phone lines how they work irrepective of harshest weather conditinos. Later offered us to drink though i had quit my drinking habit five years earlier i desperately needed a drink :) Food was served their hospitlaity was like heaven. then contects exchanged at the end , with all these things happening A truck driver came saying his truck has got slided in a road side nallah before caption mod none of vehicle can move :eek: untill unless his truck is moved. how lucky we are ?? As our Tata safari (with our wives ) was behind we are here in the middle how to communicate ??

We got up next day , came out to see a white wrapper on the entire mountain range . had BF over there and we got the clearence to go ahead. cleared snow on the bullet. voila it started in one kick !!!! my Frind CL-500 started in 3 cranks !!!

This is why its called as made like a gun .

came to tiger point spent time there reached Kargil waiting for Safari . one day got wasted in Kargil as Tata safari had not come. next day morning we met them . From then on wards trip went uneventful :) by the time we reached our last leg of the trip yes we came across more more slushy roads due to melting of snow.

always Keep the buffer day if your driving . Next dont get panic .

our plan and remarks is as below.

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {
    border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: <?php echo $tableFont ?>;
    font-size: 12px;
    }
    .tableizer-table td {
    padding: 4px;
    margin: 3px;
    border: 1px solid #ccc;
    }
    .tableizer-table th {
    background-color: #104E8B;
    color: #FFF;
    font-weight: bold;
    }
    </style><table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th></th><th>&nbsp;</th><th>&nbsp;</th><th>&nbsp;</th><th>&nbsp;</th><th>&nbsp;</th></tr>
    <tr><td>Date</td><td>Day Plan</td><td>Break - Up</td><td>Distance Breakup</td><td>Total Distance</td><td>Remarks</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 22nd</td><td>Srinagar - Kargil</td><td>Srinagar - Sonamarg</td><td>85</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Roads are good , Start from Sonmarg ASAP better to be before 12 PM if you have plans to reach Kargil. </td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Sonmarg - Drass</td><td>62</td><td>205</td><td>Sonmarg to Drass road is horrible. A bit Rocky and plain roads . You will pass through Zozilla pass Army saved us here else TOI would have posted Two techies died in Zozilla pass due to Frost bite!!!</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Drass - Kargil</td><td>58</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Not good roads, most of the places road widening work is going on</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Halt at Kargil</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 23rd</td><td>Kargil - Leh</td><td>Kargil - Lamayuru</td><td>110</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>This road is really good, now in most of the places you can see double lane tarmac (Still in some places road work is in progress)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Lamayuru - Leh</td><td>125</td><td>235</td><td>Road is good with double lane work. </td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Halt at Leh</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 24th</td><td>Leh</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>Visiting places at Leh, getting your bikes checked, and taking inner permits</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>don’t forget to go for Lamayuru Restaurant in Leh you will enjoy the food here </td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 25th</td><td>Leh - Diskit</td><td>Leh - Khardung La</td><td>40</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Leh to Nubra vally ( Road for Leh to south pullu is good, road between south pullu to north pullu is non existent - again road widening in progress, south pullu to Diskit and Spangmik is in good condition)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Khardung La - Khalsar</td><td>58</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Khalsar - Diskit</td><td>20</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Halt at diskit</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Diskit - Sumau</td><td>40</td><td>178</td><td>These 2 places can be covered on return day i.e. during Diskit - leh</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Sumur - Panamik</td><td>20</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 26th</td><td>Diskit - Leh</td><td>Diskit - Leh</td><td>118</td><td>118</td><td>Halt at Leh</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 27th</td><td>Leh - Pangong Tso</td><td>Leh - Karu</td><td>45</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Leh to Pangong Tso (roads till Sakthi and some more distance is in good condition and road deteriorates once you start climbing chang-la and roads are good after you descend from chang-la)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Karu - Chang La</td><td>35</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Halt at Pangong Tso</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Changla - Tanksey</td><td>58</td><td>176</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Tanksey – Spangmik (Pangong Tso)</td><td>38</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 28th</td><td>Pangong Tso - Leh</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>176</td><td>176</td><td>Halt at Leh</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Leh - Upshi</td><td>55</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Leh to Sarchu route ( From Leh to half of Tanglang La roads are good, after that till you reach More Plains roads are so bad that I felt my brain is bouncing. From there new road starts which ends after some 20 to 30 kms. Then good roads come only once you are some 40 to 50kms away to Sarchu)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 29th</td><td>Leh - Sarchu</td><td>Upshi - Pang</td><td>125</td><td>260</td><td>Morre plains and Tanglang La</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Pang - Sarchu</td><td>80</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Gata Loops and halt at Sarchu</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 30th</td><td>Sarchu - Manali</td><td>Sarchu - Darcha</td><td>84</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Sarch to Manali ( Here roads are good, except here and there road work patches. Roads in Barchla was in excellent condition even with snow walls on both sides of the road. After keylong one can expect best roads till they start descending from Rohthang La towards Manali, again here some road widening work is happening)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Darcha - Keylong</td><td>28</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Keylong - Tandi</td><td>9</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Tandi - Kokhsar</td><td>38</td><td>230</td><td>Stay in Manali</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Kokhsar - Rohtang La</td><td>19</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Rohtang La - Manali</td><td>52</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
    <tr><td>May 31st</td><td>Manali – C'garh-Jaipur-Blr</td><td>Manali –chandigarh - Panipat - Rohtak– Jaipur –bangalrore</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>We wanted to avoid delhi so took c'garah route once we hit Jaipur used GQ to reach blr. </td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td></td></tr>
    </table>

I used GATI for shipping my bikes from Bangalore to Jammu. The packing was good and bikes were delivered without any damage in time
    However on return I again went to GATI from Mandi (Manali) packing was horrible, self start is not working (god knows why) rear left foot rest is broken.Petrol tank had scratches.

Bikes didn't gave no troubles whatsoever. I could start the bike in below freezing temperatures with first crank. No clutch cable cut, no punctures

This journey again proved me that INDIA is a very beautiful country

376515_4268083737030_1857588709_n.jpg

Please let me know if you need further info
    10 people like this.