1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for LEH trip on Punto in aug-2013

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vipin.rai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So you are going Leh, not Nepal?
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    yeah going to Leh
    i will start a new thread today evening after i get home. I have all details built up.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    ^^. Looking forward to this thread. With the amount of research you guys do, the thread can become a treasure house about the information about Leh.
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Hi mads, I m travelling to leh in june in my linea.
    I.m driving from mumbai and will be in manali by 10th June.

There is lot of sceptism on Linea s low GC nad the route itself. I think you are going via same route I mentioned in your punto. Whats your plan?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Ok this might be a bit too late to post considering you guys are travelling in June but anyway.
    BCMTouring India Travel Forum and Community
    ^^ That is the best website/forum to know the current status of Leh and around .
    If you spend a day or 2 on that site you will be well versed with the route and its status.

Now my thoughts.
    June might not be the most ideal time unless you want to be adventerous. The roads for the better part (epsecially manali and around) will be slushly . So please be careful to the max extent possible.

Secondly with the luggage you are carrying 4 people might sound a bit too much for a car like punto on those roads. You will have underbody scraping because of the extra weight.
    Please thread carefully.

Make sure you are aware of the entry and exit timings at the following
    1.) Sonamarg
    2.) Manali , keylong

From 2013 the BRO have closed the manali route on "Every tuesday" for road work
    Make sure you plan accordingly or get first hand info from BCM touring website about the status.

How do i know so much ?
    I"m driving to Leh from bangalore in sept end !!:dancing
    2 people like this.
  6. venka

venka BANNED

I have been there and done that from May 18- Jun5 last year. . I have ride my own bullet and Tata safari. We were about to take the ticket due to Frostbite . Its just coz of Indian Army , i am alive today . They provided shelters and treated us like their relatives with Food , alcohol, chicken nuggets, almonds ... its really nice right. All these things happened in Zozilla PAss. while going from Sonmarg to Kargil

Yes , BCM touring is the wikipedia for Leh trip . Kudos to yogesh sarkar for helping the trip aspirants.

These are kind of roads you can get at the max , You can see Maruti is passing over there. . One can do aramse with Punto and linea (2012 Model onwards) with out any iota of doubt . If you have previous models you need to be bit careful.

921289_10200830124853344_464438685_o.jpg

currently roads are closed from sonmarg to kargil due to rains and land slides.
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Venka, did you do the leh-manali route at all or returned via the srinagar route itself?
    What exactly happened and was it your first trip? I am more concerned about the nallahs that have 2-3 feet water flowing that can just stall the cars.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  8. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After going through many threads in TeamBhp and BCMT, I have also postponed my Leh trip to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] week of September as during that time; roads are in best condition with less slush and water streams. Also TFI'ans like J. Ravi Sir have done trip in month of September, so this gives me more confidence in September
    Another factor is that since this would be my first adventure in Himalayas, so do not want to take any risk in June :).
    1 person likes this.
  9. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    so how many of us are driving down this year to leh in September???

From 2013 the BRO have closed the manali route on "Every tuesday" for road work

Himachal Registered vehicles can go on Tuesday's too.I have an edge here on Tuesdays loll.
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm leaving on sept 28 return by Oct 12

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2