1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for LEH trip on Punto in aug-2013

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vipin.rai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. Both are possible one one-day trips.
    1 person likes this.
  2. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    LineaDriver, you got me :p Infact it was a typo. I meant to say Khradungla. But agian if J Ravi says it is possible, i cant counter him. He is more experienced then us all and if you talk about guts, I stand no chance in front of him :) However I and my team are brainstoriming on doing a round trip rather then going and coming via manali. Maybe we change plans and go via kargil and come back via manali
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    The distance between Leh and Khardungla is 39 km only. The road was freshly laid when we drove there except for the last 12 km. We left Leh after breakfast at 8:30 am, drove to Khardungla and returned back to Leh for lunch by 1:30 pm. The details are here.
    That's the best way to do this circuit. I plan to do it again in this September this way. :)
  4. LineaDriver

LineaDriver Novizio

KL-07
    J Ravi Sir, If I may ask you, would you have attempted going to Nubra valley and Pangong Tso, if you had 185mm GC in your Linea?
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    In this September, I am planning to drive to Nubra valley and back with stock 165 mm GC. Not yet decided on Pangong Tso. With 185 mm GC, Linea and Punto transform into SUVs! :)
    4 people like this.
  6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    If you like clear starry skies and spend the night in Nubra you will be able to see the meaty part of the Milky Way towards the South after sun down in early September and late September. It will set by 10:30pm. Mid September will be full moon so it might flood the sky. Thought i'd mention as I was there in late September 2009 and witnessed the sight (sheer luck!). The only reason I went back in the room was because it was quite cold outside :)

PS: I cross checked in Stellarium for this year.
    5 people like this.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot for kind information, caffeineam. So, I am prepared for some late night work for me, my Canon 550D and the tripod. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, after going through post from J.Ravi and caffeineam, i am just counting my days......for ladakh :)
  9. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    I have recently inquired with one of my Army friends based out of Srinagar. He said June will not be a good time to travel through Srinagar because of the Amarnath yatra. He said there will be lots of traffic. Any light on this please?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Vipin Rai..from the day I read J Ravi sirs post, I have been counting my days. I would say he is a rockstar. An ardent driving freak...we all get so motivated by him :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Just thought i'd update what you should expect to see on 5th September 2013 (New Moon night). Below picture is a render from Stellarium for Diskit.

Place: Diskit, Nubra Valley, Ladakh, India
    Coordinates: N 34° 32' 45.00" & E 77° 33' 25.99"
    Decimal :34.546106, 77.557283

MilkyWay_Diskit.jpg

Sunset and Moonset times from www(dot)sunrisesunsetmap(dot)com

Sun_Moon_Times.jpg
    4 people like this.