1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for LEH trip on Punto in aug-2013

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vipin.rai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    J Ravi, you have spoken my heart. I was never in a mood to alter my GC. Now you have given me that courage to take the decision. Also thank you about the info on stickers. I have already touched base with a local guy and he says he can do it for me. but not sure about the quality though.

- - - Merged Post - - -

- - - Merged Post - - -
    Thank you for your reply LineaDriver. I have driven mt friends 2012 Punto from Delhi to Leh. While cornering it has got much more body role than my punto. Not sure if its because of the tyres. Mine is Emo Pack, his is Active. But I feel more secured in my 2011 Punto. And as per J Ravi if he has done it with his Linea, I think I can also do it with my Punto. Just that I need to love my car not rush it ! Now my main concern is the slush. I have seen lots of videos where small gets stuck most of the time. Are there any tyre toppings ( chains. ropes) which can be fixed to avoid this?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. I am not sure about Linea but I did the GC kit upgrade about a year back, to test I have taken corners at speeds from 80 kmph to to 130 kmph , there is no issue on like too much body roll, in fact when was doing this test in early morning near to junction of Ranganthittu and srirangpatna, an XUV 500 guy stopped me and asked "have you modified suspension i said it is still OEM" with smile on my face. People who are driving to mysore will know this section it may be the second largest curve after Bidadi.
    P.S: Before people start advising me on safety, I did it with all the care i can take with my friend waiting on the road to inform me of the oncoming traffic from both the sides.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    I think you guys are too concerned about GC. Few people have already done this circuit at least one person on this forum multiple times on similar roads, so it is clearly doable. There will be some knocks so prepare mentally for it. Focus on the route and the things you need for the drive and places you want to visit. If you think of the road conditions too much (and they do change seasonally) then you will end up without enjoying the break. Just take it as it comes.
  4. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    You have a point. Maybe as I driving my friends Active the instability might be because of the tyres. Did you get the fiat GC upgrade kit. How much was it for?

- - - Merged Post - - -

I hear you caffeineam :). I am not going to fiddle with my GC. yes I am ready to bear some thuds on my under body however i will take full precaution in driving and now will concentrate on planning the itinerary. We have decided to drive till Manali and halt for the night. Second stop at Sarchu and then reach Leh on day 3. We have finalised 2nd week of June. DO you think the time will be apt for a small car? Or should we plan it in first week of July. With your advice shifted focus to route and time rather than GC, this time :p
  5. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Looks doable but I personally have not done that drive. Since it's a 1000+ km drive one way, it's good that you have spread it over 3 days. June is good, but some snow may still be on the road at higher altitudes. It won't be ice due to the temperature I think so you should still have traction. In July you may encounter mud and slush (and a LOT of traffic) before you hit Ladakh due to the monsoon. Carry a good quality tow rope should you need somebody to pull you out. If a road looks in questionable shape flag down an oncoming vehicle and inquire about the conditions.

If after getting in to Leh you feel tired or unsure about the roads towards other destinations, then you can always take a local taxi. It's a vacation after all :).

PS: I have seen Altos and M800s bumbling about in Leh and the mountains and they seem to be doing okay. So relax.
  6. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    Nice. So I am fully geared up for the trip with my Punto. Thanks for the encouragement caffeineam. Now one imp thing that you mentioned is tow rope. What else shud I be carrying?
  7. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
  8. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Due to some reasons, I will be free from my project commitments in month of june. So now, I have decided do leh in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] week of june for duration of 12 days. I have made below two plans. I prefer plan-2 that is to go via manali as monsoon will not be hitting the rohtang at this time, whereas in plan-1, monsoon may hit rohtang while returning. However, due to uncertainty of road clearance because of avalanches/snow, depending on it I may have to opt for plan-1.
    Plan -1
    Jun 19th wed Delhi to Jammu/Udhampur
    20th thu Jammu/Udhampur to Srinagar
    21th fri Srinagar sightseeing to sonamarg
    22th sat sonamarg to kargil
    23rd sun Kargil to leh
    24th mon leh to pangong tso
    25th tue pangong tso to leh
    26th wed leh to nubra
    27th thu nubra to leh
    28th fri Leh to sarchu
    29th sat sarchu to manali
    30th sun Manali - Delhi

Plan-2
    Jun 19th wed Delhi to manali
    20th thu manali to jispa
    21th fri jispa to sarchu
    22th sat sarchu to leh
    23rd sun leh to pangong tso
    24th mon pangong tso to leh
    25th tue leh to nubra
    26th wed nubra to leh
    27th thu Leh to kagil
    28th fri kargil to srinagar
    29th sat Srinagar to jammu
    30th sun jammu to delhi

Mads, when you are planning to leave for Leh in June? And which route, you are planning?

Experiences TFIans, please let me know which plan is more better.
  9. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi

Vipin Rai, here is my plan-

June 8th Delhi to Manali
    9th manali to Sarchu
    10th Sarchu to Leh
    11th Leh to Nubra and back
    12th Leh to pangong and back ( might stay back at pangong)
    13th local site seeing/adhog plan
    14 Leh to Sarchu
    15 Sarchu to Manali
    16th manali to Delhi

However we might decide to come back via srinagar. But that depends on the mood and the vote from others. Incase we decide to come back via srinagar we will make the return trip in 4 days. So we will reach delhi on 17th.
  10. LineaDriver

LineaDriver Novizio

KL-07
    Leh to Nubra and Back, is this doable in a day even if you start very early? Also Leh-Pangong-Leh ?