1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for LEH trip on Punto in aug-2013

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vipin.rai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Great idea Ramjn. Love to join the meet, if materialized.
  2. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    vipin exact date is not finalised. but anytime between august to oct.
  3. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    All these places have decent roads, even back in 2009! We went in a local Innova and only bottomed out while crossing THE nala on the way, but I hear a bridge is now being built. These places also see significant tourist traffic in the window you are planning, so even if you have a breakdown you can catch a lift to fetch help. I remember having a puncture (sharp stone - un-repairable gaping hole) on the way to Tso Moriri in late September and passed absolutely NOBODY for a quite a few hours. Thankfully the spare was in working order. Another puncture and we would have had to get creative :)
  4. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hoping to see you there alongwith other TFF'ians :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks caffeineam for the info. My main hurdle is Rohtang, if that is conquered, then half of battle is over :dancing. Pangong is mandatory and rest two can be optional based on time availability. By the way, based on your experience from trip, can you categorize these three places, based on the easier accessibility, so that i can plan to those first.
  5. puneet mehra

puneet mehra Amatore

Hey Vipin,

Go buddy July and August is the very best time to Visit Leh. Even my biker group went there everyyear on their Bullet.

Regards
    Puneet
  6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Both Pangong and Nubra need going over a mountain pass each. You will cross Chang La for Pangong and Khardung La for Nubra valley. Both are accessible places. You can visit Pangong after a break in Leh for acclimatization. Do spend a night in Pangong (on the banks I mean), we had planned a day trip and regretted not renting a tent for the night. Rent it early in the day as prices will climb in the evening because the owners know they have a captive audience (as per experience in the 'other' forum). Don't miss Nubra valley and especially Hunder sand dunes and Diskit monastery. Diskit town also has hotels and you will need one to stay overnight in the valley.

If you are out of time for Nubra, you can go up to Khandung La and turn back to Leh in less than half a day. Personally I would say go the distance and visit the valley, the scene of Snowy mountains, Desert and Stream in the same place is enough to confuse your expectations of what you are used to.

Do keep in mind that though the distances may seem not that huge, driving can be slow due to narrow roads and the fact that you are driving along side sheer drops. It's not butter smooth but drive so you are comfortable and not tired when you get to your destination. Honk at bends and keep an eye out for oncoming heavy vehicles or army supply convoys on the mountain so that you can find a place to pull over so they can go past you, because they WILL NOT reverse :)

Also keep an eye out for rabbits on the lower reaches of the mountains. Anytime we saw one, it would scamper away and camera would have nothing left to do.

PS: I hope you like Maggi Noodles, because outside Leh that's about all you will get. Of course you look harder there can be options.
    1 person likes this.
  7. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    Members..I am an ardent travel freak, in fact driving freak to be apt. I own a 2011 Punto MJD EMo Pack. My best pal was so moved my my Italian beauty that he traded his swift for a Punto too. Now we have finalized to take both our Italian ladies for a trip to ladhak from Delhi. We have not finalized the dates, however it going to be in the month of June. 1st or second week. Initially we decided to take the srinagar-kargil route, but then after much research we have finalized on the Manali route. Much more scenic and adventurous trail for sure it will be. Now the concern is the ground clearance of our cars. After some R& D and advices from fellow travelers, we have summed up that, if we treat our cars like our women, we will for sure not damage 'em. Not like the paid ones though ;-). So driving with love and not pushing em hard will do the trick. Lots of people have complained about wrecking the bottom of their cars and bumpers too. However the good news is, lots have bought back their cars back home safe too. The mantra is how you drive and how well you know your car. I have taken my Punto till Gulaba and it was neat. My friend took his swift to Manali and he wrecked the under body. Punto having much less GC as compared to the swift was bought back home without a single scratch underneath. After all I was the driver :). So to Vipins query on should you take your car thru Manali, I would say why not, but that entirely depends on your driving style. If you are a delhite driver then God bless you ! Also the load on the car plays an important role. I believe you will be four people plus luggage. So there is more chance of scrapping the bottom of your MJD in this case. We will be 3 guys on each car. So if any of team fiat members have plans around that time, lets make it together. More the merrier !
    2 people like this.
  8. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello Mads, all the best for your Ladakh trip. Due to some project related work, I am unable to plan in month of June. Since you are planning to do it in 1st or 2nd week of june, i read that it raod conditions are not good due recent snow clearing activities. But in that time you would also encounter less water streams and slush because of cold weather and absence of monsoon activities. I have decided to go for GC upgrade before the trip and i will be doing delhi-srinagar-manli-delhi loop if rohtang allows us at that time :).

Do post travelogues and treat us with nice pics :)
  9. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi

Hello Vipin, thank you for responding. I am also thinking of GC upgrade before the trip. But somehow I am worried abt fiddling with the dynamics of the car. The 2011 Punto has got better handling then the 2012 and thats because of the lower GC. I am a ardent driver and pay much heed to the dynamics of a car. that why I bought the Punto :cool:. I know that the fiat GC upgrade kit costs abt 12k. But someone told me that we can also increase the GC by putting metal bushings in the shockers. So not sure what to do. Can you put some light on this?
  10. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ride and Handling is also my concern because it is here Punto scores over other cars and obviously its awesome looks :) . But after going through many GC upgrade kit threads, there is very little difference about 5-10%. Correct me if I am wrong, total cost for GC upgrade is around 15k including the labor.
    Regarding metal bushings in the shockers, i do not have any idea, but i remember that somewhere in team-fiat thread, it is strongly not recommended.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013