1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for LEH trip on Punto in aug-2013

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vipin.rai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi TFIANS,
    Finally I have decided to get LEH’d this year :redcar after getting lot of travelogues teasers since more than one year. Now I cannot resist myself and do not want to be teased for another year.
    I have finalized the date from 14[SUP]th[/SUP]-25[SUP]th[/SUP] Aug to utilize 15 Aug and 20 Aug holidays, so total 12 days in my plan. Total 4 people, I, my wife and parents will be travelling.
    I am still not able decide whether to go from delhi to leh via manali or via Srinagar. I am more inclined to go via manali as it has more scenic beauties, but read that it’s more difficult and challenging like crossing Rohtang slush. Whereas going via Srinagar is comparatively easier as crossing only hurdle Zozila is not as difficult as Rohtang. Also my punto mjd emotion pack-2011 ground clearance is major hurdle for going via manali. :A. I am considering to do pangong tso, khardungla and of possible Nubra valley.
    For this trip, I am planning to go for punto upgrade ground clearance. Also all four OEM accelres are almost worn out after 28K, so I am thinking to replace them with YOKO’s A or S drive.
    So I request to kindly give suggestions on following points.
    1. Will it be possible cross rohtang during this time on punto? Or should I take Srinagar route and return via manali. Or going and returning both via Srinagar and giving miss to manali route.:sad1Is 12 days time is sufficient including visit to pangong tso, khardungla and nubra valley?
    2. Will increased ground clearance kit will be worth for this trip or is there any other way to increase the GC. Also, should I consider to change the under body protection plate as my car’s under body plate was got hit several times on bad pothole road, though I have changed my driving style for that.
    3. Which tyre (195/60-R15) will be best for Leh terrain keeping price in consideration.
    4. What others logistics are required other than spare air filter, tyre air pump.
    5. What other precautions should I take?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    hi vipin, im also planning a leh trip this year on my Punto. plz post lots of pics of the trip if you make it.
  3. 1) take rhe srinagar route if you want to drive on good roads, if you want to drive on mountainous roads take manali.
    2) increased GC is very much necessary.
    3) its not that you will be desposing the tyre after the leh trip, so buy a tyre which is best suitable for all your requirements.
    I would suggest to have a look at yoko-a drive and c-drive.
    4) First aid(diamox must, rantac, norflox, paracetamol etc), towing rope, jump start cable, puncture repair kit, air pump, tyre pressure gauge,a 20 lit can of diesel, engine oil, coolant, 20lit can of water,enough cash(dont rely too much on atms), some basic tools, enough microfiber cloths to clean your glasses, glass cleaner,get a pair of good headlight,a stick/baseball bat anything(keep it handy), air filter, dry food(atleast of 2 days), torch with extra battery, a good camera to treat us with good pics.
    5) no need of changing the engine guard plate, see to it that it is not bent.

From which city you are starting your journey you didnt mention that.
    If possible extend your journey by a few days, you need 15 days min to enjoy your journey...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  4. LineaDriver

LineaDriver Novizio

KL-07
    I am also planning to visit Leh this Sep, starting from Kochi in my Linea MJD, my plan is to start on 7th Sep 2013. I would suggest you to go via srinagar and return via Manali-Delhi.
    2 people like this.
  5. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sure sumit...nd same to u :p. Btw in which month you are planning?
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    OT.
    It is one of my dreams to be in LEH and ladak after my trekking in himalayas in 2011. Man the whole terrain is heaven. You sure are lucky one to be there. Please post alot of pics.

Thanks. Sorry i do not have any info which you are asking in this thread.
    1 person likes this.
  7. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks a lot Arnab for your valuable information. I will be starting my journey from Delhi. For the stuffs suggested by you, i m planning to visit kashmiri gate market. Heard that all kind of automobile stuffs are available at nominal cost. I am contemplating to complete the circuit in clockwise direction i.e. delhi-sringar-leh-manali-delhi. Because it will result in better acclimatization, descent drive in rohtang, no need for permit from manali. Yes I agree, 12 day will be very tight schedule and i may have to drop the plan of nubra valley depending on the situation at that time.

- - - Merged Post - - -

That would be great journey from ocean to mighty himlayas...i am also thinking of doing it via Srinagar and returning via Manali.
    1 person likes this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Is it a year of Leh for the TFI'ians? I think it is very much possible to have a TFI meet in Leh this September. :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes...it would be a life time trip. Now a days, most of the Ads are showing the leh terrain...its really a paradise on earth.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Nice idea...sure we should plan it :) It shows that TFI'ians are truly passionate about their driving...and FIAT cars are robustly built.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  10. Buddy from where ever you buy the stuffs buy good stuffs dont compromise on quality..
    And for some stuffs I would suggest if possible borrow from your friends for the trip, else you would be spending too much money at once and you wont be using most of them after the leh trip..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2