1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for Delhi to Bangalore trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sonofpoi, Jul 12, 2011.

1. sonofpoi

sonofpoi Timido

Delhi
    I recently got a new job offer from Bangalore and planning to drive my beautiful MJD all the way from Delhi to Bangalore.

Planning to take the following route:
    Delhi>Jaipur>Udaipur>Ahemdabad>Mumbai>Pune>Bangalore

Reason for taking this route:
    1. I believe it will be more scenic.
    2. Probability of better road (Not too sure)
    3. I know people on this route, so it will be fun meeting them all on the way.

Travel time:
    I would be traveling around 2nd week of August. I want to make this a 5 day trip. Should be easy driving and watching the places and visiting people. (~2500 kms in 5 days and meeting people on the way, should not be hectic??)

Never drove farther than Delhi-Jaipur, Delhi-Mathura/Vrindavan or Vrindavan-Jaipur, so this would be fun drive but would be like a life time experience for me (one who doesn't travel much without any reason :) )

Would also love to meet TeamFiat'ians on the way.

If anybody has already done this route, please throw some light on things to take care of. I love night driving, but being a new route, i am not too sure if i should go for night driving.

Suggestions guys!!
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    "J Ravi" is the travel guide of this route :p, he recently did this route and has recorded all the details about road, hotels, places to visit etc etc. Check his thread or PM him.

Happy Journey :)
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I drove on this stretch twice in Nov/Dec 2010. Road widening work [4 lanes to 6 lanes] is going on in full swing on NH 8 from Gurgaon/Manesar to Ajmer and from Surat to Mumbai. I spent more than three hours in traffic jams thanks to a lot of diversions due to construction of flyovers. The old Narmada bridge on Ankleshwar BP on NH 8 was also closed restricting the carriage-way to 2 lanes creating traffic jam on either side of the bridge, although I didn't get caught in any jam there.

I am considering taking Bangalore>Hyderabad>Nagpur>Sagar>Jhansi>Gwalior>Agra>New Delhi route [N-S Corridor] for my Kashmir trip in a couple of months in view of these bottle-necks. I understand, except Gwalior-Jhansi stretch [~100 km], the route is fine all the way. It is also shorter by about 500 km compared to NH 8.
    I propose to drive in night/day from Bangalore to Nagpur in one stretch! Let me see.

Viny: You overtook me while I was preparing to reply!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My travelogue will throw more light on this route!:)
  5. sonofpoi

sonofpoi Timido

Delhi

Ravi Sir, Great Travelogue!!!

I would specially mention the pictures taken are really classy.. I live in Delhi and never shot the pictures of India Gate/Akshardham/Lotus temple as you did. It asks me to go to these places all over again :D

Regarding the route, I also thought of going through the UP/MP route, but i know more people on RJ/GJ route. So that makes me prefer that route. (and who does not prefers free food and free stay with known people ;))

I recently got through my Linea's 3rd Service so the car is in great condition to go for India trip (Well this is my dream.. 6 months off from work.. All India tour in my car or my Royal Enfield..)

I also checked the Fuel cost you mentioned.. Now the same trip would cost atleast 5-7k more due to increase in fuel prices. (Thank god i have the Linea MJD.. Save money.. go traveling :D)
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, sonofpoi, for the compliment.
    Then, the best route is NH8/4. There is nothing to beat it!;)
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sonofpoi,

I had just recently done Delhi - Mumbai. My experience & suggestions are as follows:-

Delhi -Jaipur is a bit busy, though the road is quite good.

Short of Jaipur take the bypass which comes up on the left. Once you are on the bypass the road is really good.

Short of Ajmer, take the left fork towards Nasirabad/Chitaurgarh. This road goes on to Udaipur. I forget the NH number, but the road is excellent with very little traffic. Only, you will not get many eating places etc on the way. But, on this stretch, you can 'fly'.

Entering Udaipur, take the byepass to the left. This stretch is so-so with traffic. Then you meet the NH and "fly" up till Ahmedabad.

Ahmedabad - Mumbai road is good. The Narmada bridge is a slight bottle-neck, and closer to Mumbai highway expansion is in progress. However, the diversions will not slow you down too much. It is better managed than the present work on NH1 towards Ambala.

On the whole it is an enjoyable drive. We started from Greater NOIDA at 430 AM, and reached A'bad at 6 PM (about 980 kms). A'bad-Mumbai is easily doable in a day, though we made an unplanned night halt at Damman (a bit off the NH).

I had done the Mumbai - Bangalore trip way back in 2002. The road was good at that time. Cannot comment about present condition.

By and large, this is one of the better long drives that you can do today. I am sure you will enjoy the drive. PM me if you have any queries.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. sonofpoi

sonofpoi Timido

Delhi
    @Johnny

Thankyou for your valuable inputs on the route. I will plan the route accordingly.

Right now in the process of looking out accommodation in Bangalore (still have around a month to get there). Have asked few friends to help me with that.

Also, I have a query, what if i don't transfer the registration after taking my car to Bangalore and continue with the HR number. Would this cause some major issue???
  9. vks

vks

Bangalore
    sonofpoi,
    where are you on this trip you planned for Aug 2nd week.. :?:
    I am starting my tip :car on 10th August afternoon from Pune to Kochi, via bangalore..

Ravi Sir,
    Any status update possible on Bangalore to Kochi road condition, after all those rains?
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Both the routes NH 209/47 and NH 7/47 are reportedly not affected by monsoon. You can drive on either of these routes.