1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning for a trip to Coorg/Yercaud/JogFalls, Is it the right time?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by pra.agar, Mar 3, 2015.

1. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    I've been planning to travel somewhere out from Bengaluru from long time, but due to some reasons could not. Now finally 13th March/20th March is what I've in mind. This would be my first long drive.

My criteria is
    • 300 - 350 Kms/4 -5 hrs one way drive.
    • Peaceful place
    • Safe for couples and can enjoy time together
    • Temp should be moderate. Hot would not be a problem but then also.
    • Enjoy the place.
    Thats when we short listed
    • Coorg - 275KM
    • JogFalls, Gokarna and Mundeshwar Approx - approx 8 hrs drive
    • Yercaud - 237 km
    As Coorg and Yercaud can be reached in 3-4 Hrs (thats when we have this more prefered over Jog falls), Jog falls will at least take 7-8 hrs.

People travelled to this places please share you opinions.
    How good is the place, roads, safety wise and hours taken to reach those places?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even though it is raining, the weather will be hot, and should avoid Jog/Murudeswara.
    Choose between Coorg and Yercaud.
    pra.agar likes this.
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    JogFalls, will be Dry now. and the coast might be little hot and humid.
    pra.agar likes this.
  4. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks! We are more inclined to Coorg trip.
    Can someone share their experience ? Like time taken to travel and route taken, days stayed, best hotel and places visited ?
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Coorg cannot be reached in 3-4 hrs from bangalore. It easily takes ~6-8 hrs depending on where one goes in Coorg.

Yercaud can be reached in 4 hrs.

Weather would be hot in all the places you mentioned with Yercaud being least hot and cool during night time owing to its fair height of 4500 ft above sea level.
    pra.agar likes this.
  7. Omar

Omar Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I visited Yercaud in April last year and found it to be pretty hot. The only upside is - the relatively straightforward route from Bangalore, except for a bit of traffic once you hit Salem. Otherwise its a drivers delight.

My personal recommendation would be Virajpet near Coorg. Its less crowded and always a treat to the sore eyes from city. As Shams mentioned, Coorg cant be done in 3-4 hrs - especially not if you use Mysore highway. An alternative would be to use the Mangalore route - the drive would be much smoother, albeit the time taken would be higher.

Not sure if its going to be a day visit for you, but if you intend to stay, then I would always recommend checking out some of the homestays in Coorg. They offer a fantastic ambiance for couples/family looking to spend some time. Please check trip advisor for the reviews / ratings. Guess there is one called as Casa Coorg - which is supposed to be the best.

Also if you visit Coorg, you can always visit the Tibetan Monastery in Bylakuppe/Kushal Nagar. Very beautiful and serene atmosphere.
    pra.agar likes this.
  8. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Omar and Shams,
    One of my friend had a recent visit to Yercaud and he suggested the place is hot during day time like most of the places at this season of time, but the evenings are too good and cold. As this is my first long-drive, looking for less KM at first, and I think Yercaud fits in perfect for my requirement.
    Do suggest places one can visit in Yercaud.

And Ya all the mentioned points are noted and I've a long list of places to visit, so please keep suggesting.
  9. Omar

Omar Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You are welcome mate. Not much to visit in Yercaud, except maybe the lake for boating and Killiyur Falls
    pra.agar likes this.
  10. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Ya true, Its more of a get away and peace time we are looking for then visiting places.