1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning bi xenon for T-jet

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Imran ali khan, Mar 29, 2016.

1. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Imran ali khan

A 55 watt Halogen lamp draws a constant 10 Amps, while an HID lamp in steady state draws in 3-4 Amps (50-60% less power).So I think Power consumption is not a problem , Until you car is running a decent kms.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    @kunwar.g

I totally disagre your with your 35W+35W=70W information.

Modern SLI batteries are lead-acid type and provide 12.6 volts of direct current, nominally 12V. The battery is actually six small batteries, or cells, connected in series.The alternator, which includes a voltage regulator to keep the output between 13.5 and 14.5V.

HID headlamp burners produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V.

The highest-intensity halogen lamps, H9 and HIR1, produce 2100 to 2530 lumens from approximately 70 watts at 13.2 volts. A D2S HID burner produces 3200 lumens from approximately 42 watts during stable operation.The reduced power consumption means less fuel consumption, with resultant less CO2 emission per vehicle fitted with HID lighting (1.3 g/km assuming that 30% of engine running time is with the lights on).
    A 55 watt Halogen lamp draws a constant 10 Amps, while an HID lamp in steady state draws in 3-4 Amps (50-60% less power).
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Naughty likes this.
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Doubt even a quad set-up will help you here, unless you have 3000K bulb in 1 set and 4300K bulb in other set. Does your Linea have fog lamps ? Here’s the kicker suggestion

1. Get Mini D2S projectors with 5000K bulbs in Low Beam projector only. No cutting of reflectors required

2. Get Mini H1 projectors with 3000K bulbs in Fog Lamps / or maybe the 2.5 inch version instead of 3.0 inch version.

a. If not then just upgrade to HID with H1 3000K bulbs in fog lamps

3. Upgrade High Beam H1 bulb with Phliips Xtreme Vision or Osram Night breaker. This is a cheaper option and you can do this right away

http://www.amazon.in/Philips-12258-...e=UTF8&qid=1459812860&sr=8-1&keywords=H1 Bulb

http://www.amazon.in/Osram-P64150-N...e=UTF8&qid=1459812860&sr=8-5&keywords=H1 Bulb

I doubt you would get a better option than this. Go with option 1 + 2.a + 3.

Maybe I made a mistake or a typo error. I went with the assumption that you would be getting the Mini D2S on the high beam bowl and mini H1 in the low beam bowl and hence said that the installation would be challenging. However either of them will fit the low beam bowl without any cutting. Again, go with my above suggestion

Your choices and same as mine. I too like to travel at night only. All my long distance trips have been done at night since 2008 J . That’s the year I got my first car J. I too don’t like to unnecessarily be on high beam and blind the drivers in car in front of me. In fact even at high speeds on highway if there is car in front of me, unless very necessary I switch to low beam till I overtake the car. Glad to know that you are one of the more responsible drivers.
    Agreed.

I didnt want to get into too much detail of information which the OP might not be looking for. But comparatively the 55W ballast will take more amps than the 35W ballast and will also generate more heat

55W ballast = 4-5Amps ( decent ones )
    35W Ballast = 2.5 - 3.5Amps

2016-04-05_4-50-58.jpg

Considering the 55W halogens take 10Amps even with 2 55W ballasts its just drawing 9-10amps. Where Linea has 2 Halogen lamps it would be drawing 20Amps and 2 ballast will draw about 9-10 amps which is still just half, so no need to ample running required I guess.
  3. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @kunwar.g Ok this point is been cleared from both of us. 1 more point I would like to discuss is D2S vs Mini H1.Mini H1 has finner throw cut on low beams and D2S has finner highs. I can give you with comparision photos today
  4. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    Anways, going with 35watts on all would'nt be a problem. And moreover the quad set up would be used only on highway runs and not in the city, so i guess no need to worry about the car battery i guess. And in the city i will be using only low beams with 35w with factory fit fog lamps.
    @kunwar.g : Bhai, i know the problem of giving a pass keeping the projector set up with HID since they require few seconds to burn at full potential. But i had used OSRAM nightbreakers on my father's car ie Tata Indigo, but to be frank it didnt make much difference. I had given a thought of going with those before thinking of projectors, but later it would've been like the same thing, So going with the ultimate option of projectors on all with fog lamps kept as factory fit.
  5. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Mini D2s Low (Sharp but not better then Mini H1)
    Mini D2S Low.png

Mini H1 Low (Sharp)
    Mini H1 Low.png

Mini D2S High( Clean Sharp Cut)
    Mini D2S High.png

Mini H1 High ( Disturb Cut)
    Mini H1 High.png

@Imran ali khan You car alternator may take load .
    kunwar.g likes this.
  6. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    These pics say a lot...
    @moksh : Bhai, Anyways i will be going with quad set up but the only difference would be, i wont be using all four on low or high at once for sure. So now since you are telling that the car's alternator may take the load, then you tell me whether should i go ahead with that switch to go with all high/low or not?
    And another thing is, i'll be going with 4300k bulb on low and 5000k bulb on high. So any suggestion about this???
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @moksh . Thanks for the pics . I seem to have seen these somewhere else too. The D2S has always had better distance lighting that the H1 and that's more to do with the bulb. The bowl too has its important role to play. But a H1 bulb in the D2S bowl and it wouldnt give the same results as a D2S bulb in a D2S type bowl. D2S has less wider throw than the Mini H1, but better consistency of light across its spread and better distance lighting. Mini H1 has wider throw and easier on installation, cheaper to install and maintain too.

What i was merely implying at was the actual benefits vs the extra cost and cumbersomeness of D2S. Having said that I also went with an assumption that Imran was planning to have the Mini D2S on the high beam bowl. Well the Mini D2S should fit the low beam bowl easily and the rear cup will have enough space for bulb changes..etc..

I would still suggest to get the single projector installed and then see if you want to add another projector. End of day its your call, we can only suggest. My take is get quad only if you need it else the single Bi-xenon Mini D2S with 5000K bulb and 50W ballast should be enough for most purposes.
  8. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Imran ali khan First tell me what all colour HID kits xenon planet has . As per his website he has just 4300K and 6000k. If this is the case then I would suggest you that you go both highs and lows on 4300K . You can take this example as a reference , but it depends from brand to brand .
    4500 (Warm White with a tinge of yellow) - 3500 Lumens
    5500k (Pure White) - 3400 Lumens
    6000k (Cool White with a tinge of blue) - 3200 Lumens
    With 50W ballast (+20% intensity) (-20% lifespan)
    Here its your call what you want to choose which colour .

Now the point is on what base you use highs . Just to flash or you keep it on for sometime.
    If its just a flash then you need a switch and control all lows and highs together.
    If you keeping it on for sometime then you can go switchless.

@kunwar.g Even i suggested him first to go with single projector . But if he is going with single projector then i will recommend him to go with official morimoto. Mini H1 are easiest to install and slightly difficult is Mini D2S.

What did xenon planet suggest you @Imran ali khan

See With the lows there is minor difference in both so you can choose any even D2S has a fine cut , you dont need to worry about the highs because we have dedicated one.
    1) D2S ( better output then mini H1 & Slightly difficult to install)
    2) MiniH1 ( Finner Cut then D2S by a very low margin & easy to install)

Now choose one.
    Some more samples

D2S.png

Mini H1.png
    Naughty likes this.
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    XP team would have all the colors IMO. The website is not regularly updated. If going with quad..get all 5000K.. Enough lumens to make way through thick n thin IMO.

Or 4300K on one and 5000K on other
  10. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    XP team is proposing to go with all mini super with 5000k ...