1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Planning bi xenon for T-jet

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Imran ali khan, Mar 29, 2016.

1. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Imran ali khan If you want to show off your lights then you can go to xenon planet because at that price no one can give you quad setup.Till now I have found him the best installer which means he sets the height of the throw perfectly.

If you want to install originals morimotos then install it on low beams which actually work , because if you install on high beams then it will be just for show because you wont be using it . First you need to find a local installer . Note Fiat headlights are too dificult to open so you need some one proffessional . If you still keen to install a projector on high beams , I can suggest you a dummy projector which looks like a projector but on behind it works on halogen. Here is the pic of the dummy projector cost is also very cheap.
    Dummy projector 1100 INR
    Shrouds 1900 INR

These are Mini H1 dummy

img_6245_1.jpg
    Naughty likes this.
  2. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    @moksh : Moksh bhai, thank you for suggesting. But since you are using fxr on low beam then what is the probability of the switching to stock high beam when you are on highway? And when you switch from low to high beam whether fxr will still be working or just the stock high is on? And from where have you got your fxr?
  3. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Imran ali khan Stock high beam are faster to give pass light , all morimoto projectors are ON during the high beam as well. Also there is a connection from low beam to high beam where you can connect it to the high beam , and when you switch the metal plate on the projector goes up which means even the fxr cut off goes up with the highs.I got it from USA dealer.Check the wire on this photo which makes that metal plate work .

morimoto_fxr_bixenon_projector_retrofit_1399_1.jpg

Regarding the high beams , I took my car from Mumbai to Kutch trust me FXR was all enough only to flash I needed high. Even my dad appreciated it
    Naughty likes this.
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
  6. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    @moksh : Moksh Bhai, Not yet decided anything, i am in dilemma, I contacted morimoto supplier in India, he is offering me 24k for projector set up ie fxr v3 everything included but no contact person for installation, cause they are just suppliers. And on the other side, I had contacted Mr Rajath (Xenon planet), he is giving assurance about his product and service even after installation. And he even said that he is using the same set up what he is offering in his own car ie punto. So ... i am just stuck...
    Naughty likes this.
  7. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Imran ali khan I would suggest you go with xenon planet because the main problem is installation and not all touches fiat . It is very difficult to open a fiat headlight I have seen during my installation which took 2 days. The only reason I am saying go with xenon planet is for installation. If you have any installer in your area then you can go with Original Morimoto FXR or Mini H1 7.0. The installation needs to be perfect in the case for projectors - - - - This line should match in both left and right.

Now you can go for quad setup as well at that price but make sure you get the best projectors I have no idea what mini super is . But I would suggest if he has original morimoto then you should go for mini h1 in low beams and D2S at highs
  8. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    @moksh : Moksh Bhai, even i checked out some of the places in bangalore but wasnt convinced coz most of them were like we have fixed on vw's and maruti's ... So after seeing their reply, i was like even if i invest in the original one and the installer turned out to be dumbass, later ruining my car's electrical set up would screw my whole car... And since in xenon planet Mr Rajath has already installed on linea's, punto's and skoda, i feel i can go ahead with him only coz of his service and quality of the work. But surely will ask him if he can propose the originals... Lets see, finger's crossed...
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    @moksh : Moksh bhai, one more thing, Mr Rajath said that he can even give me an optional switch inside the cabin for all the four projectors to go on high or low beam at once, So what do you think about the set up? Will it be better or should i stick with stock set up ie two lamps for low and another two for high?
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Imran ali khan

Hope you don't mind my jumping in to this discussion.

Firstly why are you wanting to go the projector route. Is it for better low beam or high beam ? Do you have more highway run or mostly in city ?

The issue with quad setup for Linea would like in the fact that there are separate bowls for high and low beam and so is the control. When you flash high beam its just your high beam bulb that lights up, when you are on low beam only then only the low beam bulb switches on. Your main issue is only if you are in the habit of flashing in day time. I don't do that ever. Only do that at night when flashing really has an effect. During day its just horn, only if needed. HID bulb take a few seconds to warm up and if you flash the HID bulbs its really not going to have any major effect unless you are using ballast from some high end luxury cars which as really quick start-up, but even then cold start of HID bulbs will reduce the life of these bulbs ( again unless you are using the expensive OSRAM OEM bulbs which cost about 12-14K a pair )

To clear some doubts " Morimoto doesn't manufacture projectors" they have vendors too. Their bulbs were earlier manufactured by CNLight and now by Yeaky. Similarly at somepoint their projectors were ( possible could be now also) manufactured by same vendor manufacturing for AES. No points for guessing where the manufacturing happens. Right in our neighboring country. The naming of the Morimoto projectors is no industry standard, so naming projectors is not a big thing. Just cause they haven't come out with a version 4.0 of their D2S doesn't mean that it can’t be made by anyone else. Not ignoring the fact that Matt has really changed, created, and revolutionized the retrofitting industry with his Morimoto Brand. Any manufacturer would be willing to change the production line if they get a contract from Morimoto.

These other non Morimoto branded projectors can really hold their own candle in front of Morimoto projectors. I have seen the Hella G3/5, Hella E55, Mini Super and FXR in action in from of my eyes, one after the other for comparison. The important part is installation and tuning. My installation was done by Xenonplanet and they did a decent job, however there are some issues and since I cant travel again from Delhi to Chandigarh for just the fixing I am living with it. Will fix it myself when have enough time at hand. Even if you get a Morimoto projector, in the hands of a novice installer it could be as worse at your locally available Chinese projectors.

There is an installer in Bangalore called EVO (not sure if there is a suffix or prefix to it ). Have heard they are good and have installed for Xenonplanet customers too. Talk to them for installation work.

Now coming to how the set-up should be.
    1. If you have a habit of flashing then don’t install projector in high beam bowl. Install projector in low beam bowl and get the wiring of the solenoid joint to the high beam wiring, so when you flash at day time the high beam bulb will switch on and the solenoid of the projector will activate which will move the shield, but the ballast will not switch on, so you are safe. When you flash at night time your high beam will switch on and the projector which will also be on will move to high beam mode. So this is the safest bet. You can go for 50W ballast in the single projector setup, with zero extra effect on battery and no extra heat on HL glass and not extra switch

2. If you can avoid flashing at day, and have the budget and want much more better low beam and high beam then go for quad setup, but keep both ballast at 35W only. These will be taking a total of about 60-70W power from battery with the help on relay wiring. Your options here are how you want the extra switch to be wired. Lets name the projector installed on low beam bowl as L and the one on high beam bowl as H for better understanding.

A. Have a switch wired to the solenoid of both and the stock high beam wiring to be linked to the ballast of the H projector. This way when you are on low beam only your L projector will be active (in low beam mode), when you are on only high beam your H projector will switch on ( in low beam mode) and you will have both the projectors active ( in low beam mode ). To get high beam you will have to reach out to the switch and once the switch is on you will have both projectors on high beam mode.

B.Have a switch wired to the power supply of the ballast of H projector. The wiring of the solenoid of both projectors to be linked to the stock high beam wire. So when switch is off you will have only L projector on and when you flash or are at high beam the shield will move on both, but Projector H will be not active. When you have the switch on ON your low beam and high beam will be functional for both the projectors at same time. In city you can use just one projector, and if required break all hell loose with both flashing at same time. On highway of-course you can have both functional. You can go for 50W in Projector L and 35W in projector H in this case as in most city cases you will have only 50W taken from battery, and during highway runs you can have it taking 85W from battery, but am sure highway runs are long enough to keep battery charged. But the other factor is the extra heat generated with 1 50W and 1 35W ballast. Safer option is both 35W, and trust me even that is more than enough for anyone.

3. Would suggest to go for both Mini version projectors in quad setup. 2 projectors will give enough illumination even for high beam. You wouldn’t need a D2S. Here’s the benefits
    • Cheaper bulbs
    • D2S bulbs would need a bulb adapter too which means they would need more space at rear, though the high beam bowl has enough depth to accommodate that, but opening is small and hence changing bulbs would be difficult . Also the adapters have a cost. If the adapters develop a crack of fault you gotta change that too.
    • You will need to keep stock of backup of only 1 type of bulb instead of 1 set of both ( if you are in the habit if keeping back-up). I always have a backup for those highway runs
    • D2S bowls are wider and installing them on the high beam bowl ( which already is small ) is doable but not guaranteed reliable. Better to have the D2S on low beam bowl and Mini on High beam bowl.
    Hope the above information was helpful. Feel free to reach out to us for any more information.
    Regards,
    Team GMWorks
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    The metal plate / shield actually goes down and not up.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Naughty and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  10. Imran ali khan

Imran ali khan Novizio

Muscat, Oman
    Mysore
    Linea T-Jet
    @kunwar.g : Thanks a ton man for such a detailed write up about the whole set up. First thing, i want projector set up on my because most of the times when i am travelling in car i always prefer to travel late night, i always tend to start after 12am, since the traffic is at ease , no idiots on roads, vehicle will be at ease due to temperature(not a major factor but you can feel the differnce) and last but not least can cover the distance much faster. So last few times i had started my journey at night and at that time i was there was mild rain and the roads were a bit damp, like the road color had changed from grey to black, during this time no matter how good your halogens are 70% of the roads are not visible and especially at this time, the road humps which are installed by the villagers are not visible due to which you tend to get the vehicle jump on it if you miss it by few seconds too. I actually ended up jumping two road humps in my whole 700kms stretch. So after these kinda incidents i started to search for better headlamps and ended up with xenonplanet.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    @kunwar.g : Trust me, i am not the person who wants to trouble people on road by throwing high beam deep in their eyes and getting cursed by them, coz i myself being a night driver 80% have experienced the same and at the end of journey end up with red eyes and surely swollen too, thanks to those trucks with four high beam lamps. The quad set up is just for the sake of good lights at front to tackle those roads when you are travelling especially to kerala where there are no street lights and you gotta pass through jungle (Just for an example). Once while travelling back to mysore (My home) from kannur (kerala)with family, there is a certain section of road which is like curvy and uphill. There at night, you wont believe that a state govt bus was coming from the opposite side without headlamps kept on at night 1am. And in one of the curves i had to take a left since the road was turning towards left on uphill and this bugger was coming down. I was on high beam, but when i was entering the curve i couldnt see the bus entering the curve since he had switched off all the lights and was like slow moving ghost, believe me i applied my brakes on instinct thinking i saw some red colored panel thing, thanks to fiat i the vehicle stopped just two feet away from the bus. I came to know its a bus when i was about that close. So after these incidents i have made up my mind to get good quad set up for my car.
    @kunwar.g : I am planning to go with quad set up of 35 watts, i didnt know that the bowl for d2s on high is not that much enough, thank you for suggesting it, let me get it re-checked with xenonplanet if its doable or not. If not then will stick with your suggestion.
    @kunwar.g : I am planning to go with quad set up of 35 watts, i didnt know that the bowl for d2s on high is not that much enough, thank you for suggesting it, let me get it re-checked with xenonplanet if its doable or not. If not then will stick with your suggestion.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Naughty likes this.