1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plan your trip in Advance..

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Surya, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    There might be several occasions where people are traveling on long routes and many times may miss out on all preparations in hand, i would like to add few drops of info in here to make it a complete one:

This is a short discussion on how to plan your trip:

1. Inspect your car before you start :
    a. Always make a quick 5 min check on your car before starting on a long trip, this pre checkup will be a preventive measure to handle situations on the road. Check your car for all fillings like Engine oil, Coolant oil, Gear oil, steering oil,Filters, windscreen tank to ensure enough supply on the ride. A Fog lamp is a must in case you are driving in extreme weathers or a backup in case of headlight malfunction. A visit to a nearby mechanic will be a added plus point.
    b. Do a check of your electrical systems to ensure they are working fine (Headlamps (High/low beam, focusing),Tail lamps, indicators, fuses) etc..
    c. Fill your tank and Tyre in advance with proper fuel and air at your trusted bunks.
    d. Check your tool kit for basic things like spanner, jack, a triangle, good torch and rope too in case reqd.

2. Checklist/things to carry:
    a. Carry a copy of cars documents like registration book, insurance.
    b. Carry a First aid box with cotton, plaster and ointment in it.
    c. Carry the 24-hour roadside assistance number if you have this service available.
    d. Carry adequate maps or a mobile with GPS when traveling on unfamiliar routes.
    e. carry an extra glasses/contact lens if you use.

3. Planning
    a. Always Plan a schedule on the travel.
    b. Get enough rest/sleep the previous day to avoid headaches/Pressure/strain.
    c. Wear light cotton cloths for trips.
    d. Start early to avoid city traffic and hit the highway.
    e. Take breaks in between.
    f. Keep a active/talking companion to avoid sleep on long drives.
    g. Always keep a day or two post journey to settle down and relax.

Have a Safe and Happy Journey.. :up:car
    7 people like this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Toll tickets will have highway police contact details. Always store them in your mobile. In case of emergency it will help to make a quick call. I use to add them as AAA highway police so that I can ring them even without looking at the phone. Always keep contact Numbers of close relatives in car.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    To add to the list:

1. Fill fuel and check tyre pressure - including spare- the day before.
    2. Carry a tubeless repair kit - you roadside mechanic may know how to fix, but may not have the equipment :D
    3. Carry enough cash for at least a tankful of fuel. Fuel stations on the highway may not accept cards
    4. Get the car serviced, if due, at least a week before the trip. Gives you enough time to fix niggles if any.

Have a nice trip.

Rajan
  4. raj@tfi

raj@tfi

Bangalore
    .. Thanks for all the advise here... Small things matters lot....It never came to my mind to checkk the air in the spare tyre....
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Very important. Once I got a puncture on a flyover(vellor). Luckily I had checked the spare tire before the trip. It was Sunday and there was no puncture shop that was opened.
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Carry a trekking tent in case required
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    In Case of breakdown and no network signal in the area there will be helpline boxes reach to them and dail to get help ..
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Pen and papers are as well necessary items that you may have in your gloves department. This will allow you to make notes in case required..
  9. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Nice write up @ surya. You have pointed very useful info here. Planning trip in advance and doing basic checkup will save you from bigger surprises :evilsmile
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I always keep 42 psi pressure in the spare wheel and check it once in 3 months. The routine check up does not include the spare wheel.:)