1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plan to drive to Shiridi from Chennai, need advice

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Kohlapur to Hubli is 4 lane in excellent condition.
    Hubli to Ankola via Yellapur is a Smooth-fast 2 lane Road, usually maintained without pot holes. very less traffic as well.
    Ankola to Murudeshwar is NH and expect the progress slow.
    All in you should be reaching Murudeshwar in 8-9 hours drive time from Kohlapur
  2. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks @Sujit508, if Kholapur to Murudeshwar takes about 9 hrs to complete, then roughly it will take about 15 hrs to reach from Shirdi, I calculated as 12 hrs journey and 15 hrs may be little stretch that I need to make and I hope it should not be an issue even though it is third day travel in continuation.

Any suggestions pls....
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
  4. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I think you need one more day as buffer and you do not have strict time plans. Shirdi to Hubli is doable as one day stretch.
    And Murudeshwar to Tumkur also is a stressful drive as its 2 lane, NH 206. expect a town every 30 kms and all the villagers on the road during day time :) ... I usually Travel twice a year from Bangalore to Honnavar, and I prefer Night drive, as the villages are usually deserted during night times.
  5. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks PradeepM, yes I am comfortable taking ~13 hrs drive, but so far did on known route, however this time is different, and let me experience this as well. My fear was only the Ghat section between Yellapur and Ankola where I will be driving in the night around 8 pm to 10 pm, as confirmed by Kiran this should not be an issue.

Thanks Sujit508, I am doing an alternate plan on staying in Kukee rather than Tumkur to have 4th day drive is leisure, and the other reason is that I can start around noon from Murudeshwar (after visit to temple and beach) and don't want to rush too much. Kukee I will be able reach around 7 pm after having Dharshan in Kollur.
  6. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Ghat Road between Yellapur and Ankola is a wide one. and the Curves are not very sharp, steep. It shall be a easy drive. I am sure, you ll enjoy this stretch.

Compared to Murudeshwar to Tumkur(via shimoga), I believe Murudeshwar--Kollur --Kukke might be interesting. The traffic sparse, and you will be driving through the greenery most of the route.
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Finally I was able to complete the trip as per the plan. I did the trip solo and this is the first time long drive more than 3K. The plan was

Day 1: Chennai to Kolhapur
    Day 2: Kolhapur to Shirdi
    Day 3: Shirdi to Murudeshwar
    Day 4: Murudeshwar to Kukke
    Day 5: Kukke to Chennai

The day before I start the drive, had my feelings that day 3 will be the toughest one and since I am driving alone decided to change the plan. Cancelled my bookings in Murudeshwar and booked hotel in Hubli and Day 4 was changed to Hubli to Kukke and rest the same.

Day 1 - 27th Feb 2016: Chennai to Kolhapur

Had my plans to start at 4 am however I was able to start at 4:40 am. As per plan, I packed my breakfast and Lunch for the day. Progressed slowly until Walaja since the roads were having lots of patching and there after was driving at 100 kmph and had my breakfast just before krishnagiri and then progressed with the same speed. Reached nice road around 10 am, at the end of the nice road, there was a big traffic jam and was able to join the Nelamangala road after 40 mins. Refilled in COCO bunk before Tumakuru and continued my journey. Had my lunch before Rannebennur and continued my journey and reached Kolhapur, had my dinner and crashed to bed.

Statistics

Distance Travelled: 960.8 kms
    Average Mileage: 23.8 kmpl
    Average Speed: 70 Kmph
    Drive Time: 13:38 hrs

Day 2 - 28th Feb 2016: Kolhapur to Shirdi

I was having my plans to start from hotel at 7 am and visit Mahalakshmi temple and then continue my journey towards Shirdi. But I started at 6 am and visited Mahalakshmi temple and started towards Shirdi. Had my breakfast after Satara and continued my Journey. I took the right route towards Lonand from Satara however I took a wrong turn near Nira, instead of right I took the left which was Nira-Pimpri road which I realized after covering around 5 kms, switched on my google maps again and it showed me another route to catch up the Satara – Shirur, due to this I lost about 30 mins however the roads were good. After catching up the Satara – Shirur highway, there is a bridge work going on and hence I have to take a detour. Google maps was showing a different route and I checked in a shop and who asked me to follow a TATA ACE who is also going to Shirur and followed him. Initially I thought the guy was taking me through a wrong route, yes it was going through muddy sugar cane field where two trucks will have tough time to cross. After crossing about 5 kms we crossed the bridge. I didn’t switched off my google maps and it was showing me a route to catch up the same highway and followed the route, lucky me the roads weren’t that bad. In this I lost about an hour reaching Shirdi. After hitting the Pune-Shirdi highway, it was a smooth drive and reached Shirdi around 3 pm. Other than the bridge repair work alternate route, the rest is good and able to maintain good speed.

Booked two dharshan, one for the evening 8 pm through online and another for Kakad Aarthi next day morning at 4 am.

During day 2 drive I also reached the milestone of 70,000 kms.

Statistics

Distance Travelled: 420.5 kms
    Average Mileage: 24.7 kmpl
    Average Speed: 52 Kmph
    Drive Time: 8 hrs

Day 3 - 29th Feb 2016: Shirdi to Hubli

This was one of the tiring drive in the 5 day trip because, the day I got up at 2:30 am for the dharshan and back to room at 5:30 am after dharshan. Had breakfast and started around 7:50 am. Wasn’t decided whether to take the Pune route or the same route I took onward journey, called up my friend in Pune and he advice me to take the Shirur – Satara highway to avoid the Pune traffic. In this journey, the route google maps shown is better than the regular route which all the vehicles were taking due to the bridge repair work. The regular route had many speed breakers and filled with heavy traffic and hence it was a slow moving and also the roads aren’t that good. Reached Hubli around 7 pm and crashed to bed, realized that the decision taken to stay in Hubli was a right choice. However I missed to visit Murudeshwar and Kollur in this trip, but will cover these two in my next trip.

Statistics

Distance Travelled: 598.7 kms
    Average Mileage: 24.8 kmpl
    Average Speed: 55 Kmph
    Drive Time: 11:00 hrs

Day 4 – 1st March 2016: Hubli to Kukke

Had breakfast in the same hotel and started at 8 am. I checked in google maps, and decided to take the route Hubli - Rannebennur – Honnali – Shimoga – Bhadravati – Chikmagalur – Belur – Shakleshpur – Kukke. The moment you take the route to Honnali, I thought it will be good, but my guess was wrong. It is narrow in some places and no roads for about 10 kms. After Honnali the route was good except two patches between Honnali – Shimoga. Maintained good speed and reached Kukke around 5 pm. Refreshed and went to the temple for a dharshan and back to hotel and crashed to bed.

Statistics

Distance Travelled: 439 kms
    Average Mileage: 23.6 kmpl
    Average Speed: 54 Kmph
    Drive Time: 9:00 hrs

Day 5 – 2nd March 2016: Kukke to Chennai

Had breakfast in the same hotel and started at 9 am. Took the route via Hasan – Nice Road – Krishnagiri – Vellore. Since it is home drive, was more relaxed than the rest of the days. Usual speed and reached home at 7:45 pm. Since my colleague already warned me about the speed breakers I was careful.

Statistics

Distance Travelled: 626.4 kms
    Average Mileage: 25 kmpl
    Average Speed: 60 Kmph
    Drive Time: 10:19 hrs

Overall the trip was good and enjoyed every single movement. Below is the trip statistics

Distance Travelled: 3076 kms
    Average Mileage: 24.3 kmpl
    Average Speed: 58 Kmph
    Drive Time: 51:40 hrs

Overall stats and 70K photos shared

Day 2 - 70K reached.JPG

Overall Distance.JPG

Overall Average Mileage.JPG

Overall Average Speed.JPG

Overall Drive Time.JPG
    ravikn, pdash and Sujit508 like this.
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Congratulations on completing the drive !!

Great stats there . 24+ kmpl and 59 km/hr throughout. Murudeshwar and Kollur was always a squeeze. and yes, you can do it next time with more leasure
  9. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Sujit508, next plan is to cover Murdeshwar and Kollur along with Jog falls. May be I will plan it in late November.
  10. krish1484

krish1484 Novizio

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Dhaya76 - That was a hectic trip - Glad that you made it safe! Just curious how do you keep yourself engaged with no one to talk to during such long drives? Though I play music, but they are no match to talking to a co-passenger.