1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Plan to drive to Shiridi from Chennai, need advice

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, Sep 3, 2015.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the suggestions

@ Ganges, I am driving alone and have done more than 800+ kms plus about 5 to 6 times and hence driving 900+ Kms a day should not be an issue. I have decided to take some packed rice from home for lunch (day 1 & 2) so that I can stop near a toll booth and have my lunch and continue the journey which can save about an hour to find a restaurant and back to highways.

@ Ravi_M, since I am not sure about the route condition, I preferred to go during the day time. I also came to know that the route Satara-Lonad-Shirur-Nagar is filled with lots of truck movement, is that so?

@ Sunil Kumar, thanks for accommodation suggestion and I too have my plans to stay in RNS residency.

My plan is to back to Chennai from Murudeshwar via Kollur and my colleague planning to travel to Kukke Shree Subrahmanya Temple from Chennai next weekend and hope the same route I will also be taking, any alternate route to reach Tumkur? He drives his Punto 75 BHP.
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, we came across many trucks on that route. I guess they want to avoid the heavy traffic and toll on the Satara-Pune-Shirur route.
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ravi_M, no issues with heavy traffic as long as the road condition is good.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @dhaya76, I guess you missed something from my earlier post - I wrote the road Satara-Lonad-Shirur is not that good. It is single lane, broken at places and with truck traffic. At some places it passes through small villages and at one place a baron hill. But no issue, if travel time is not very crucial. At one place when you cross Bhima river, you get jaggari and other product (road-side) from naturally cultivated sugarcane farm. I took this route for the fear of Pune traffic jam, though I don't know how bad that is actually.
  5. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Ravi_M, yes I missed the post, I need to reach Shirdi by ~3 pm (plan to start around 7 am from Kolhapur and visit mahalakshmi temple and continue the journey). One of my ex-colleague works in Pune, will also check with him about the traffic condition during the time I tentatively pass and take a decision on the route on that date. I hope, since I am travelling on Sunday through Pune in the afternoon should be okay compared to working day and that is also not a long weekend.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    no worries mate the route via lonand-shirur is driveable,satara-lonand patch work is done.i have driven on this route 2 weeks before.The only question is between Lonand to Shirur and I don't think that, it will be so bad that your linea's wheel fits in pothole.Just drive the route.Happy Journey.
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ganges will take Satara - Lonand - Shirur - Ahmadnagar - Shirdi

The only pending thing now is the hotel booking, any suggestions/recommendations from you all.
  8. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    While doing the detailed planning from Shirdi to Murudeshwar, I could see that I will be going through ghat section around 6 pm, are there any restrictions? Also I have changed my plan to stay in Kukke instead of Tumkur because reaching Tumkur from Murudeshwar will be tough since I am planning to Visit Kollur and Kukke on the way.

Advice needed here.
  9. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Are you talking of Yellapur(Arbail)Ghat? Yes Yellapur to Ankola the traffic is less hence avoid stopping in between though nothing to worry. The road though a single lane is too good drive. Enjoy Drive Safe :)
    Kiran
  10. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Kiran, yes I was referring to Yellapur to Ankola ghat section.