1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Places around SHIMOGA

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Fiat-Yamaha, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Hi All,

As Jan 26th falls on thursday, planning to take off on friday would give me a 4 days time.:drinks

Wife got some suggestion from her work place to visit BADRA WILD LIFE SANCTUARY near Shimoga. Thought even my 1yr daughter would enjoy seeing few animals as she already recognizes few from books. However I'm not much familiar about this place.:roll:

Can any of you from or visited Shimog/chikmagalur....help me to plan my trip. Please let me know good places to visit in & around shimoga.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Jog falls is near shimoga on the way to Honnavar. The road from tumkur to shimago is not very wide. started from banglore around 1PM and reached shimogoa around 7:30 PM.
  3. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    The only 'so-called' decent place nearest to Jog Falls is Stay@Matthuga. But having stayed there 1 night, I would not recommend it, unless you have NO other option.

Maybe the only other option is Hotel Jewel Rock.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Jog Falls [100 km from Shimoga] is at its best during SW monsoon from July to September. During January, only a trickle of water could be seen. Sagara [30 km from Jog Falls] is the nearest town [taluk headquarters] for good food and accommodation. NH 206 is a decent single carriageway, two-lane highway from Tumkur to Honnavara via Shimoga/Jog Falls.

Kemmangundi [72 km from Shimoga] is a hill station.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  5. You can Also visit Hosanagara fort, I am not sure about the distance though.
  6. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Very good choice you have made thinking to visit malnad.
    I am staying in shimoga from the past many years. I would suggest,
    1. Jog falls - 100 kms from shimoga.
    Shimoga to Sagar- 70 kms, one of the best state highway roads
    Sagar to Jog falls- 30 kms, not so good curvy roads, ghat section.

2. Lion Safari - 20 kms from shimoga.
    Situated at a place called Tyavarekoppa. Your daughter will definitely enjoy this place. They will take u a round in bus where you can see lions, tigers,deers, peacocks and many other animals. Nice place to hang out.

3. Honnemaradu - 70 kms from shimoga.
    They will give you a boat for your family and provide all the instructions. You can go boating yourself wearing the life jackets. Only your family in the boat with no guide, boating in the calm river enjoying scenic beauties in the surroundings. One of the best experience.

4. Mandagadde bird sanctuary - 30 kms from shimoga.
    Many birds from different countries visit here. A relief to your eyes seeing those birds. U feel yourself lost in the sanctuary. Make sure u come with ur cam. As it's winter now. you won't get a great collection.

5. Sakkarebylu - 25 kms from shimoga.
    A very nice place indeed. Here you can see dozens of elephants moving around. You can see bathing of elephants in the river, they are made to carry logs of wood. A treat to your daughter.

6. Hebbe Falls - 70 kms from shimoga.
    It is in a hill station actually. you can enjoy in the river. water falls from a minimal height. very very calm place. google it to know more. afternoon is the best time, u can get a blend of sunlight and cool river.

7. Balehonnur Boat stay - 70 kms from shimoga.
    you can spend a night in the boat. They will provide you with everything you want. You will be in the middle of a river inside a boat spending a wonderful night with your family.

8. Suzlon wind mills - 25 kms from shimoga.
    It is situated in a place called savalanga. if you are technically interested to know the working of a wind mill, you can visit here. There are dozens of wind mills. You will be so near to those wind mills, that you can touch it.

I suppose I have listed most of places near shimoga. But wait for a day or a day or two, I'll update few more places.
    5 people like this.
  7. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will share my experience once i'm back
  8. abhis

abhis

bangalore
    place around shimoga

you can visit kudli where there is kudli sringeri mutt,a ragavendra swamy mutt,narasimha swamy temple,hanumantha temple,tunga badra sangama.W her you could have a luxury stay at kudli sringeri mutt.It is roughly 30 kms from shimoga

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

you can visit kudli where there is kudli sringeri mutt,a ragavendra swamy mutt,narasimha swamy temple,hanumantha temple,tunga badra sangama.Where you could have a luxury stay at kudli sringeri mutt.It is roughly 30 kms from shimoga

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

kwah super places have been recomended by you .Thank you
    1 person likes this.
  9. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    How about the water in Jog falls now. is it good to visit those places If iam planning in 1st week/2nd week of november ?
  10. addy

addy Amatore

Bangalore
    Jog Falls will not have the usual amount of water because of the failed monsoon, but water flow will still be decent. You can do a trip around November as the weather will be pleasant and cool.