1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Place in Chennai to remove dent?

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by cliffhanger, Nov 21, 2014.

1. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Guys

One of the kiddos near my home jumped on my car's bonnet and left a dent of about A4 sheet size. The dent is near the wiper area, it is not too deep and not too shallow and there is no paint damage.

Like, Trend Automobiles in Bangalore, is there any similar garage in Chennai which can do works likes these?
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I haven't come across such a dent removal centers in Chennai.

Did you get quote from FASS? If the quote is high, you can probably take the insurance route.
    cliffhanger likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Can you attach a pic. Repairs are possible either by suction, but rarely so in bonnet area, mostly possible by Stud MIG Weld, dent pulling, grinding and repainting method. But many FASC will rather offer to change the whole bonnet is what is seen often.
    cliffhanger likes this.
  4. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Car will be going for 60k service to Ramkay next weekend, will check with them for quote.

Having experienced Trend Automobiles first hand, I do not think the bonnet will warrant repairs suggested by the service center.

The other idea I'm thinking of is plan or club a trip alongside Bangalore and get it done in Trend.

@asimpleson

I will try to post a pic, but as I said the dent can be removed by the techniques you mentioned, as the dent is not deep. But the thing is, in Chennai, I'm yet to find a garage that doesn't say Replace and Repaint.
  5. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    @ramjn I spoke to Ramkay and they are quoting 6500 + taxes.

I also spoke to a tinkerer near my home, he quotes 3000 and assures a good job.

I have a 0 dep insurance with Bajaj Allianz. I'm not worried about NCB as I 've planned to change the insurance provider in next cycle as BA is charging high premium for existing policy holders.

Since the thing here is bonnet I'm a little wary to hand it over to the local tinkerer and I'm thinking of claiming insurance and get it done from Ramkay.
  6. (Apart from cheaper to be done at neighborhood garage)
    You might be aware that NCB does not have any relation with 'change of insurance' provider. So if your have a bigger NCB% already running, then better don't get it reset to 0 with this seemingly less expensive/ less risky job. You can carry your NCB to your new provider.
    Personally I have found Royal Sundaram offering competitive rates for insurance (not sure of zero dep)(dont have cashless facility here with FASS too :( ). I also have alternated between icici lombard and Sundaram once to get a better rate, but this time RS itself was cheaper so stayed. Just to keep the premim low I have also, since last 2 years, opted for a minor 5k voluntary deductible with a plan in mind that for smaller works (< 10 to 15k) I will not opt for insurance claim (This assuming I drive rather safe, if at all it matters, sigh! due to other countless idiots on our roads)
    cliffhanger likes this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Agree with ThePunter. Your NCB will carryover to whatever insurance company you select. If you are comfortable with your neighborhood tinkerer/painter, think about going with them.
    cliffhanger likes this.
  8. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    I believe this NCB thing is just an eyewash. Because whether I've a good or bad NCB, I still get good and bad deals. I'm of the opinion that this NCB thing is just a way to reduce the number of claims by the customer. Am I missing something?

Has anyone had remarkable price difference in premiums because they had a very good NCB %?

The guy whom I deal with for insurance is of my age group so he generally talks about the nitty gritties in insurance business, and he indirectly has mentioned NCB as a kind of eyewash
  9. Many a thing in Insurance world is/ may be an eyewash- those with better know how in the business know that for sure, but not me.:)

What I have observed while getting online quotes (having experienced with RS and IL) is: basic premium in the calculations doesn't change 'dynamically' depending on your NCB%, leaving you with the fact that you either get a 20% or 50% of this Basic premium figure (just taking 20 and 50 as random examples at the lower and higher end) as "direct deduction" while the OD premium is calculated. So, the higher this deduction, the happier you are bound to be.
    Only when I am getting the calculation in front of me, I go ahead to purchase, else I will ring up the support and get it- in case of online/phone quotes.

Another Year on Year pattern (in the last 3 years) I have seen sadly is: the Third party premium keeps on increasing (yes, you get to see minimum one news article per year on this subject) there by even if my IDV is reducing every year, because of this TP portion increase, the net reduction in overall premium is really not much!
    mchanna and cliffhanger like this.