1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pilgrimage Trip to West Karnataka

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, Jan 28, 2014.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    The last time I drove on this stretch was in 2010. So, my information is outdated. I understand that NH 17 is getting 4-laned on many reaches.
  2. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    2 people like this.
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I will be very happy if Gopi is also joining :)

I meant "We" as my colleagues.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The Shiradi ghats and the Charmadi ghats both are doable. But not sure of how good the road is between Udupi to Someshwara. Agumbe is anyways the concrete road ghats. Ayanur to Kollur one will find good stretches and bad bumpy stretches. NH17 should be too patched up but definitely not a smooth drive because of the road condition as well as the traffic mainly private buses menace.
  5. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Shiradi ghat is fine now, patch work is completed and only @ 1 place bridge construction is going on. been to mangalore last weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks a lot Fiat-Yamaha for the information.
  7. adigabnp

adigabnp Amatore

BengaLooru
    BengaLooru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had been to my native Udupi over the last weekend. I also did the Murudeshwara-Kumta-Shirasi-BengaLooru from there, later.

Updates which might help you:

BengaLooru - Haasana: Excellent 4 lane roads.

Shiradi ghat: Still patchy, but doable as others suggested. It is far-far better than the usual Shiradi ghat roads, that we are used to.

MangaLooru - Kundapura: Slow moving highway traffic from MangaLooru till Mulki. You may find a traffic jam near MangaLooru port.
    Note: Road widening [4 lane work] is in progress from MangaLooru to Kundapura. There is utter chaos on the roads during daytime due to people driving in wrong lanes as none respects the lane deviation boards. Add to it, the usual, hyper-aggressive private buses there.

Kundapura - Murudeshwara: Bit patchy and crowded from Kundapura till Maravanthe. After that, it is an absolute bliss.

In case you are taking the BengaLooru-Honnaavara road as suggested by Ravi sir:
    The roads from Saagara-BengaLooru are awesome [2 lane NH with no tolls] with very small patchy stretches, in between. The Tumkur bypass is an exception. It is pathetic with full of potholes [for about 4-5km].

Just for your reference [to and from Bangalore]. Not sure if this helps.
    http://goo.gl/maps/OwYVS