1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pilgrimage Trip to West Karnataka

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, Jan 28, 2014.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    A pilgrimage trip is in the planning cards and will be with my office collegues. The dates are from either 15-Apr-2014 to 19-Apr-2014 or 16-Apr-2014 to 20-Apr-2014 (5 days, 14-Apr is holiday for tamil new year and 18-Apr-2014 is good friday). Hence I have decided to apply leave in between days and make a trip. The drive will be in my Linea. Almost confirmed the places, but still not able to conclude it because we aren't sure whether we will be able to cover all these places and near by places to visit. In my opinion we may not be able to stay in one place and visit all temples.

Hence want experts opinion on the plan. The planned places are,

1. Kollur, Mookambikai Temple
    2. Udupi, Krishna Temple
    3. Horanadu, Annapoorneeshwari Temple
    4. Sringeri, Sri Sharadamba Temple
    5. Subrahmanya, Kukke Sree Subrahmanya Temple
    6. Dharmasthala
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Horanadu is very near to the Kudremukh National Park. I have stayed there and have also visited this temple. You can probably include Murudeshwara as well.
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ramesh. If I include Murudeshwara temple, will we be able to cover all temples within the planned days?
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    you can cover Gokarna also its near to murudehswara..
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Since you are driving from Chennai, you could use the following iternary. This would be a bit relaxed one if you may call that.

Day 1 - Chennai to Kollur - Around 770 kms via Bangalore. It involves night driving and fair amount of average to bad roads from Ayanur to Kollur. It could easily take anywhere between 15-18 hours.

Day 2 - Kollur Temple Visit - Murudeshwar - Udupi (night Stay) - Approx - 180 kms - Road condition average.

Day 3 - Udupi - Srigenri (via Agumbe) - Horanadu (night Stay) - Approx -163 kms - Road condition Good to average.

Day 4 - Horanadu - Dharmastala - Kukke - Approx (155 kms) - Road condition good to average

Day 5 - Kukke to Chennai via Bangalore - Approx 650 kms with 10-12 hours journey - Road excellent except for the Shiradi ghats.

This can be done in the reverse order too.
    1 person likes this.
  6. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Krishnap. Your suggestion looks fine to me. Enroute if any other place that we can accomodate is also fine to us. Let me have a word with my collegues as well.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Don't forget to stop by Maravanthe Beach running adjacent to NH 17 on RHS while driving from Honnavar towards Udupi and click some photographs. However, don't step into the water as there are many vertical falls not visible to naked eye.
    2 people like this.
  9. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ravi Sir for your kind input. How is the road condition? If I take this route, I am sure reaching Kollur will be a daunting task. Don't want to take late night drive, since we don't know these places. If Murudeshwara is achievable then we will stay there and start next day.

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely we will stop for photographs. Thanks for your advice and we definitely don't take any risk.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    BTW, dhaya who is that 'We'? Is Gopi also accompanying you? ;)