1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Picture's speech : Coorg Calling 'Mansoon drive'

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is very difficult. Some SLR's do have the weather protection but the entry level SLR's would not have that. We should be careful to handle such situation. When I went to Sabarimala, it was raining all day and night and I did not dare to take out my SLR there.
    1 person likes this.
  2. may be entry level DSLR's need to labeled as dry only SLR's :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

You may feel Coorg over rated place when you don't know where you are going, forest and Coffey estates are every where but delightful scene are going to be on the foot hills of huge mountains or nearby to them. We walked in that little stream in the picture although bit slippery to find out where the water falls is but gave up after legs started paining due to chillness.
    South of Coorg is beautiful, if you are any where close to Tadoyandmol mountain.I have other mountains in the radar, will update the thread when i make it.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Sat just ensure you cover the the lens circumference with your hands while shooting. or get a lens hood that's all.
    There is nothing to worry about water getting in. I've shot photos in medium rains because I wanted a smudged look to my photos when water droplets fall on the lens. Nothing has happened till date.

You can get some breathtaking snaps with that.

NOTE :: Ensure that you wipe the lens clean after use and the whole camera as well. If its wet you will start having fungus inside the lens if you keep it that way.
    NOTE 2 :: This is for light and medium rains only torrential rains would kill both the camera and the operator!! ;-)
    2 people like this.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Sat, nice location and pictures .
    Even I was at Coorg on the same weekend, stayed near Madikeri at Wild Cat Ranch homestay.
    It was a nice weekend since it was sunny for sometime in the mornings to roam around.
    Visited Kushalnagar while coming back.
    1 person likes this.
  5. I was there weekend of june 21-22.
  6. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Same here, 21-22 Jun :)
  7. Oh man, I should have opened thread,we could have met in coorg.
    1 person likes this.
  8. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I have used my SLR during rain many times, although not under heavy rain and always used under some kind of hood.
    I feel its the lense which is in more danger due to moisture getting inside than the camera itself.
    While in US I took several picture from the boat near Niagara Falls and it was all wet.
    Later I found there are some moisture inside the lense and I had to dry it with a hair dryer.
    Camera (Nikon d3100) was absolutely fine and just wiped it with a dry cloth.

I still suggest better not to use unless its a lifetime picture worth taking the risk :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes, we could easily meet.
    As most of us know, Coorg comes to its best in rainy season and I jump to my car whenever anyone plans for a trip especially during Monsoon.
    Few weeks back ,I went to Kasargod to attend a function :), It was also a awesome drive through Sakleshpur and shiradi Ghat, and it was just pouring while I was driving
    in the ghats !! what an experience actually I could see nothing only the lights of the volvo bus infront of my car as my guide.
    1 person likes this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Dont use hair dryers please. The heat produced is just too much and the lens casing seals will break.
    It will also break the sensor seals.
    There are many such cases and one 7D that my friend owns happen to die because he used the same technique to dry his lens only to find out after a few weeks that the body just gave up.
    2 people like this.
  10. This good information theblack