1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pick up problem of my punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sam_likes_punto, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sam_likes_punto

sam_likes_punto Novizio

Dear friends,

I recently purchased punto MJD (12 days ago to be precise).The car has only run around 250 kms now.

1.However,at times,I feel that the car is not giving me a good pickup. (Note that I am driving the vehile almost once in 3 days since I bought it)

For instance,when I drove the vehicle today,I felt that there was a slight lag and to reach 70 kmph to a while on top gear as well.

When i initially bought the vehicle and drove it 4-5 times (and also during 2 test drives before buying it),I never felt such a lag and the pick-up was excellent.
    This just gives me a slight spot of bother and worry.

Is it just because the vehicle is currently new and needs some time to "free up"? Is this normal ?

2. Also,when I drive the vehicle,i hear a sound along both the doors as the vehicle picks up speed.All the plastics have been removed but its difficult to gauge if it is the sound of plastic or dust particles hitting the vehicle at higher speed.

I would really appreciate your suggestions.

2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Sam,
    Welcome to TFI.
    Unfortunately your first post is about a problem...
    Please post your buying experience and initial ownership review, don't forget the snaps.

I use my car only on weekends and felt the same sometimes but goes away within sometime.
    Check the RPM when you are feeling that it is not pulling well.

Enjoy the drive...
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Punto 's turbo kicks in at 1800rpm if I remember well so unless your in the right gear for the speed its not going to pull well
    Having said that at 70kmph of you are in 5th gear and the ac its on the might be some hesitancy in the pick up.
    Do let its know under what exact conditions you face this issue
  4. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

The sound you hear should be the sound of doors auto-locking...

Other sounds are minor mud particles hitting areaabove tyres..both are normal..
  5. sam_likes_punto

sam_likes_punto Novizio

I figured out the sound for sure is the door noise.It becomes prominent when the vehicle picks up speed.

The continuous "krrrr" sound is heard from both doors when the vehicle picks up some speed.

I found that it is emanating due to some plastic components on the dor.If I hold the door handle firmly from inside as I drive the car,the noise reduces.

Nevertheless,I am considering visiting the workshop to figure out and resolve this problem.Any DIY suggestions which can save my workshop visit and resolve this issue ?

6. HMV

HMV Timido

Hi Sam,
    I bought my Linea MJD (my First Diesel) in the first week of January. Before that I was driving a WagonR and you know for the first 2 weeks I really repent my decision of buying the Linea. I felt the acceleration very slow and overtaking was a pain.( I am relatively a rash driver) But now after 2 and half months and 3500kms I am really happy and I love the way she accelerates. I don't know what had changed, now i understand my car better. Now my Linea glides and rockets through as per my wish. Just enjoy/study your car for a few more weeks and she will obey your commands faithfully

1 person likes this.
  7. mads2849

Sam I too had the same problem initially. My car has done 6000kms now. Normally diesel cars take come time to come up to expectation. Also the car has got something called an ECU. The ECU gets adapted to the way you drive. If you do not rave up the car and is not a fast driver, the ECU will adapt to a slow driving style. if you press the accelerator more ( just like me) your ECU adapts to it and you gradually see the car picking up. So dont think much, just take out the car for a long haul on the highway, do some more kms and the Punto is going to obey you soon. Bu the way its a fantastic mean machine :)
  8. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Hi Sam,
    Prior to punto 1.3 MJD I had Swift 1.3 petrol after buying the punto initially I didn't felt peppyness as like swift later gradually I changed my driving style for diesel engines following is my gear shifiting method against RPM, for upshift I usually shift up when RPM reaches to 2000 and for dowshift I usually shift down when RPM downs to 1200.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto shows it charm after 15000 Kms and there on grows day by day with its performance,well one has feel for sluggish in 1st and 2 nd gear and that's how it is.
    other side of coin one doesnt like to roar engine at 1st and 2 nd gear :) as it sounds more.
    Atleast for few 1000 Kms try to be little aggressive with the drive so that ECU adapts new driving style,may be helps out in better acceleration....
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Hey, who said it is slow in 2nd Gear. Just throttle it & see how briskly it takes off till 5200 RPM. I know it's a FGT but even then i am sure it will climb more than 65 km/hr from 20 km/hr in 2nd gear in 4 secs. Engine sounds a but louder on above 4000 RPM but you can test it once to arrive a conclusion that only 1st gear is rubbish, rest is all fine.

Also point to be noted that absolutely fantastic & carved with utmost expertise, the chassis & suspension of Punto carries those shoves very well, absolutely gallops whiplashes & have wonderful ability of speed masking. Whereas in a swift, you feel like riding a rocket which might make a "U" of your backbone but It's hardly 60 km/hr with all that speedo error:mrgreen:. If you watch a video coverage of the same incidence taken from outside the swift, you would be pretty embarrassed to notice that it was moving normal. That's just an illusion created by it's immatured suspension:mrgreen:.

@Ganges, Bro it's fast enough when it is newly delivered. I think user get to know it's gearing, it's turbo range & should try to stay among 1700 RPM - 2500 RPM each time a gear is changed. It's non stop fun & one doesn't need to wait for 15000 KMs.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012