1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

pick up issues and coolant levels down in my punto MJD 1.3 diesel

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sam_likes_punto, Mar 30, 2014.

1. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

I'm facing a coolant leak in my Punto MJD. Last week I got it serviced from Vecto and they had replaced the coolant. Then on Sunday I did a long drive for 530 km and the coolant is at the min level now.

I've faced this problem earlier as well a few months ago. KHT told me that there was a leak in the EGR cooler and changed the tightening clamps , but the problem hasn't gone away it seems.

The leak happens when I drive at high speeds between 120-130 kphfor a few hours. In usual city driving or even moderate speed highway driving ( < 100kph ) I haven't seen the leak - or it's too low to be noticeable.

Any suggestions on what to look for ? And where exactly is the EGR cooler located ?

EDIT : attached a photo where there's a patch below the radiator , possibly a coolant leak ??
    <fieldset class="fieldset" style="margin-bottom: 6px; font-size: 11px;"></fieldset>

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

The pictuer isn't clear but that spot is not from coolant leakage, the area would have been red after it dries. That patch is most probably from oil which got spilled during filling as there are marks on pipes under filler hole.
    Get the coolant topped up again and see if level goes down again because as you said they worked on cooling system some air might have got trapped inside which have now got released cuasing level to come down.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Thanks Vijay, I realized later that the patch mark was from the oil , must've been during the oil+filter change during service last week. I've topped up the coolant and waiting to see what happens.

I had checked the coolant level after about 40 km of driving after the service and it was OK. Usually any trapped air should get released by then after a few km of driving -so I'm not sure if it was from trapped air inside but anyways have to wait and see.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Black solonoid just under the air cleaner (Right hand side when you stand before bonnet)

You will find big socket fitted in black body. That's a electronic EGR actuator.

EGR actuator is fitted on EGR valve. & EGR valve is fitted on upper side of EGR cooler.

Recently I got changed due to leak in EGR cooler body in ext.warrantee.
    Due to leaky EGR body excessive air was entering into inlet manifold
    & Air fuel ratio was incorrect in my MJD.

Now idling of my MJD is better.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014