1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

pick up issues and coolant levels down in my punto MJD 1.3 diesel

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sam_likes_punto, Mar 30, 2014.

1. sam_likes_punto

sam_likes_punto Novizio

mumbai
    Guys,

I got my Punto Emotion MJD 1.3 Diesel serviced from Torrid Motors as a part of my final free service on 18th Feb'2014

I had specifically asked them to check vibrations that I was getting in the clutch-accelerator area and that I was also experiencing jerks.However,they had not really sorted this issue out and handed over the vehicle back to me that the problem would be resolved.

However,after a few days of driving,I realized that I was experienced major jerks when changing clutch-gear.Since I was still not happy with the performance of the vehicle post servicing,I had to get my vehicle back to them after 10 days.

I had to ask the guys to test drive the vehicle and the person identified that the clutch switch needed replacement.Torrid asked me to pay 450 Rs for this and I mentioned that this problem had aggravated after the servicing.Finally,after a lot of arguments,they mentioned that they replaced the clutch switch and told me that the problem was resolved.

1. I have been driving since the last 2 weeks and I am finding that pick-up is an issue.I find that in the 1st and 2nd gears,there is a lagging effect and it is felt specially when the vehicle climbs slopes.Earlier,gear shifts and pick ups were faster and now the lag is clearly felt.I continue to feel clutch vibrations and at times when I change for 1st to 2nd gear,it looks as if the vehicle is not responding and I have to accelerate harder to increase pick up.

2. Today,I also noticed that the coolant levels are low. (Please check the pic attached). Are these acceptable coolant levels ? I checked the bill to find that Torrid had also replaced my coolant but the levels suggest otherwise.So,I am not sure if Torrid has not refreshed the levels (I should have checked them) or is it a coolant leak ?

I feel I should not have gone to Torrid for the final servicing.I do not want to go for the 3rd time again as it is utter waste of time and energy.

Before I write to them with my complaint,I want to be sure on these two issues.

Can you please suggest what should be done to resolve this ? I am considering visiting R.S Motors now to get this problem fixed.

Sam

fiat_punto_coolant.jpg

torried_bill_snapshot.JPG
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Same problem list of mine. My coolant level was also going down.
    Checked pipes for leak. No leak. But at the time of EGR replacing it is found that body of EGR cooler which is fitted by press-fitting is leaky. So replacing egr cooler body.

At the same time I have complained about poor performance.
    I am not sure. But leaky EGR body may disturb Air/fuel ratio.
    Will update after changing EGR cooler body.

In addition to that check for adjustment of brake light switch. Faulty brake switch may misguide ECU.
    At the time of using brakes, brake light switch sends signal to ECU to minimize fuel supply.

My former 75 HP Punto was also facing problem of poor performance & coolant loss.
    TATA ASS couldn't solve it. Finally I exchanged it with 90 HP.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If you have gone to Torrid for final service, please stick to them for the time being. You should go there and tell them that the final service is done and most of your problems are not taken care of. As regards coolant levels, it is important to ask them or let them know why the coolant level is not to the mark.

If your job card is not having coolant related issue mentioned earlier, you might have a bit tough time getting it sorted out should there be any leaks. If minor issue is there I hope they will fix it. To save time you could top up with water for a bit and drive around to see if the coolant level drops again to present level. No harm there to wait for small quantity of coolant.

Write them an email first thing and forward the same to Shri. Mangesh Kodalkar. They will hopefully act on his request.

As regards RS Motors, you can always try your car service with them, but again we Fiatians should remember that repeated follow up is the only way to get things fixed since even the best mechanics can sometimes miss out on certain details. Service at RS Motors (Fiat Authorised Service Point), will take care of most major issues and niggles if any, but you will need to be very patient there too, atleast for the first few visits till they know and understand your car issues well.

In doubt speak and request to Shri. Mohan Deshmukh there; he is the best person a Fiat veteran himself to reckon on for us Mumbaikars after Mangesh Kodalkar who is supporting online. Hope for the best.
  4. sam_likes_punto

sam_likes_punto Novizio

mumbai
    Thanks Bhai ..

I am writing to Torrid now .. please let me know if your problem resolves so that I can get an idea as well and take it up accordingly ..

Everytime I visit a service center,new problems arise .. this is becoming a never-ending story..

Sam

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks asimpleson ..

I am writing to Torrid now .. but I don't want to go again as my 2 experiences have not been great.

Lets see what their reply comes in.

Sam
  5. sam_likes_punto

sam_likes_punto Novizio

mumbai
    Hi,

Another visit to Torrid Motors.

They checked for any leakages and concluded the there were no leaks.The logic that they gave was the air must not have been let out properly when the coolant was refilled during the 3rd servicing.They have the topped up my coolant tank to max.I will be monitoring it closely to check if there is a further drop.

They checked the clutch settings as well and the test drive suggests that the vehicle is doing ok.The turbo looks ok at around 2000 rpm.

I drove around 18 km back home and found the the coolant levels look ok as of now.

Let me drive for a week and update if I face an issue.

Thanks
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Got car back yesterday. Replaced Steering Rack,Alternator,Starter & leaky heat exchanger (EGR Cooler Body) in ext.warrantee. Problem of poor performance solved.

I asked the cause of problem.Team of Aadyam Auto Aurangabad told that they cleaned MAP sensor.

But IMO leaky EGR body was sucking extra air in inlet manifold through atmosphere.
    That's why car was running on lean mixture. So problem was there.

Now car idle behavior is more smooth. Before replacing EGR cooler body car was suffring somewhat rough idle.

I put fuel of Rs.500 at bad COCO pump of Waluj MIDC Aurangabad.:evil:

Put bad fuel and travelled for next 50 km. Then I found that performance degraded slightly
    but up to the bearable limit due to bad fuel.

But positive side is due to improvement in performance, problem of poor brakes solved automatically.

Anyway ! I will give Aadyam Auto 9 out of 10 for overall work done.
    1 mark less for not doing any work of complaint of bad gearshift quality.

Photo of EGR cooler body. It is not mine. Photo is hi-jacked.

EGR cooler 2.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That is an extensive list of things you got changed under extended warranty. I suppose it could have costed a lot had the car not been in Extended Warranty. Good to see you problems are solved now for the most part. As regards bad gear shifting quality you will need to check for sure that problem is not with Master-Slave cylinders or cables. Eitherways if the clutch is not working properly that there could also indicate performance issues.
  9. sam_likes_punto

sam_likes_punto Novizio

mumbai
    Hi Bhai,

Good to know that your problem is finally resolved ..

I have been monitoring the coolant levels in my vehicle since it was last refilled at Torrid on 1st April'14

It was concluded from Torrid earlier that there are no leaks in the coolant compartment.

I have seen the coolant level now mid-way between MAX and MIN level currently after the coolant was refilled to MAX value on 1st April'14 (attached snaps for your reference and comparison : 1st April'14 vs 8th Apr'14)

I need your inputs and that of other members if this is within safe limits as I have seen the coolant level drop from MAX to halfway mark in a week. cleardot.gif

fiat_coolant_level_010414.jpg fiat_coolant_level_080414.jpg
  10. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Sam,

It is perfectly OK to drive with Coolant level between Max/Min...

The level dropping of the Coolant in 1 Week is strange, it points out for a Leakage or if the Coolant was filled when the Engine was Hot.
    It is always that the A.S.S. fill/top up Coolant to Max when the Engine is Hot, I don't blame them because it does take a lot of time for the engine to cool down.

I suggest you to just top the Until Max Level using plane Distilled water say early in the morning before starting the Engine and then after a week you do a inspection before approaching the A.S.S.

The color of the Coolant looks good and does not look very diluted.

Marginally there will be some drop in level of the coolant because of usage of AC/Heater but again it does not drops that drastically.</SPAN>
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.