1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pick-up issue

Discussion in 'Technical' started by samyakmodi, Jul 28, 2014.

1. samyakmodi

samyakmodi Novizio

Indore
    Hi,

Like all here I simply love my punto. The only thing that is irritating is that the service centre here is as clueless as it can be.

I have noticed that my car's (90hp) performance is very sluggish from quite some time. I had got the service centre to change the ECU as the car had some problems - but ever since then i have never felt that the car is running the same way as it did before the change.

I need to understand from all the fellow punto owners here - is it possible that the dealership might have put in a regular car's ECU instead of a 90hp ECU - hence the drop in power?

I have always been careful of letting my car heat up a bit at idle before driving off - so faulty turbo might not be the problem, but can't rule it our either.

while accelerating I've noticed that the gear stick moves a bit. also happens during de-accelerating. is it happening with everyone? the service engineer says it's there with all cars - but then according to them all the problems are with all the cars - can't trust them at all.

any light on these issues would be much appreciated.

and since we are on the topic of light - any recommendations on upgrading the headlamp bulbs?? i find the current ones quiet lacking - especially during the rains. need something which gives our a good bright light without blinding the on coming traffic. any suggestions?
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not sure on the ECU part. Do you mean to say the it was fine and now its sluggish ? Did they check the Turbo hoses ? A little tug in the gear level during sudden on throttle and off throttle is normal nothing to be alarmed about unless it is too pronounced.

Go for a wiring Harness and 100/90 light Bulbs. Use the headlight level adjustment and it shouldn't blind the oncoming traffic. Should set you back by some 1200 to 1400 bucks. It will not require any splicing of wires, but you need to stand by the Electricians when he does the job. Warranty for Headlight will be voided if we go for higher rated bulbs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check if there is any turbo leak (see this thread - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/engine-compartment/11802-oil-leak-turbo-hose-punto-75-hp.html).
    Check this thread for Punto headlight upgrade - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/electrical-systems/804-100-90w-bulbs-punto-headlamp-upgrade-thread.html
    Change lamp to 100/90 bulns, with relays.
  4. samyakmodi

samyakmodi Novizio

Indore
    yup - read in a lot of forums about the tug. it's not too pronounced but is noticeable.

Will get the turbo hoses checked too. i doubt they had checked them - and they never felt that the power was lacking. since I'm the only one who uses this car (for a good 100 kms a day on an average) i am quiet attuned towards any difference in the way the vehicle behaves.
    Ever since the ECU has been changed i've noticed that the pick up is quiet sluggish (compared to how it was prior to the ECU change)

thanks a lot buddy - was intact just going through that thread before reading your reply. since you are a moderator here - would like to ask you one thing - i looked for this thread in the electrical modifications thread, and couldn't find it there. can a link about all these basics be provided there too?
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    All Electrical threads are in Electrical Systems section. Other section, under Modification will be removed shortly.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    After the ECU change, did they do the proxy alignment? Ideally the same should have been done (knowledgeable folks please correct me if the proxy alignment is not needed when ECU is changed).
    Also, did the car undergo any major service i.e. all major oils flush? Did this acceleration issue come after such a major service. If yes, please check that proper oils were used and the container for pushing the transmission oil was clean (this you would only come to know by talking with service engineers)
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    01. ECU is a very specific part. 75HP's ECU can't be installed in 90HP.

02. Regarding movement of the gear stick, do you notice a small movement if you have kept your hand on the gear stick. Yes, it happens in all cars and is normal. But please do not rest your hand on the gear lever in case you are doing it.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Whenever the Multijet is feeling low on power, the first point of enquiry should be the hoses : the intercooler plumbing as well as the vacuum piping which provides the vacuum for the turbo solenoid to operate.

These 2 areas cover 9/10 instances easily.

Cheers.
  9. samyakmodi

samyakmodi Novizio

Indore
    OK

so the problems have been diagnosed - or so it seems

the EGR valve wasn't performing the way it was supposed to - hence the black smoke
    There seems to be something wrong with the ECU too, and add to that one of the pipes leading from the turbo had cracked - resulting in the sluggishness!!
  10. samyakmodi

samyakmodi Novizio

Indore
    so finally they have changed the ECU which has resulted in better pick up and no smoke

now any advice on some tuner chips anyone??