1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Phulbani,Odisha - REVISITED

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sandipan_r15, Dec 28, 2014.

1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Contd from previous post---
    We decided to try our luck to visit TIKARPARA forest(SATKOSIA RANGE).We had our lunch at hotel SURABHI.A small but superbly clean dhaba serving great/variety foods.It's situated just outside PHULBANI towards Charichawk.
    phulbani tour 068.JPG

Again it's a dream road NH-157 with min. traffic & two ghat sections in between PHULBANI & CHARICHAWK.Infact the the scenic beauty is better than the PHULBANI-BHANJANAGAR stretch.Just adictingly beautiful.
    phulbani tour 069.JPG

From Charichawk road is single lane but not bad at all.
    phulbani tour 072.JPG
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 4, 2015 ---
    phulbani tour 073.JPG

to be contd.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    SOOZ_P, prabhjot, Ravi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sandipan,
    nice pics and writeup,tempting me for a long drive in my punto.
    Your Punto is silent killer ;) looking very fresh as always.
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ganges.The best part of this tour is Manglajodi(if you love nature) and that is yet to come.
    Kingfisher at Manglajodi----
    phulbani tour 206.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contd. from post 11----
    The worst part was that we were not allowed to use our cameras after the forest check post.And we sincerely follow that instruction that instruction by the forest dept. personnel at the gate.You the people just cannot imagine what I/we missed.
    That dense forest,that magnificient MAHANADI river,that Indian giant squirrel,that resting crocodile on a rock arising out of the river ---- all these things I regret could not share with the TFI-ans.
    Just google 'Satkosia Gorge Sanctuary' for image and you will have an idea.Anyway returned with an everlasting memory of Satkosia(I also stayed in the FRH at TIKARPARA in 2006 on the opposite side of the river MAHANADI in the Angul district.).
    prabhjot and Ravi like this.
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY 4 ::24/12/2014

ROUTE>>PHULBANI-BHANJANAGAR(BARAL DEVI temple & PILASALUKI dam sight seeing enroute) BARKUL-ASKA(KABISURYANAGAR)-BUDAAMBA-KHALLIKOTE-BARKUL

TOTAL km--125.6
    kmpl--17.5

Y
    esterday returned late in the evening so decided to see the BARAL DEVI temple & PILASALUKI dam.First went to the hill view point.Beautiful view from but horribly dirty & illmaintained place. It's a left diversion towards BHANJANAGAR after few kms from PHULBANI.Single lane road with some traffic upto the temple & almost no traffic after that.These are sparingly populated tribal(the name of the district-- KANDHAMAL,comes itself from the KANDHA tribe)villages.While we were on the way to the dam after visiting the temple we first missed the right turn towards the dam,come back,took the turn, then reached a Y junction.And there was none to ask the road direction.We stopped and I walked few hundred meters to find a hut and found an aged person in front of it.Some how made him understand our problem and took the road to the dam.Poverty is immense in these areas & that shows.

Jagannath temple PHULBANI
    phulbani tour 076.JPG
    view from hill view point
    phulbani tour 081.JPG
    BARAL devi temple
    phulbani tour 086.JPG
    way to PILASALUKI dam(most common traffic hazard in this region)
    phulbani tour 087.JPG
    PILASALUKI dam
    phulbani tour 088.JPG
    On the embankment of PILASALUKI dam
    phulbani tour 097.JPG
    view from hill view point
    phulbani tour 079.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Ganges and Ravi like this.
  5. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We had our lunch at BHANJANAGAR but sadly could not see the BIJU PATNAIK Park at BHANJANAGAR due to shortage of time.
    Reached BARKUL @ 3pm and got cottages at OTDC.

OTDC Barkul
    phulbani tour 123.JPG
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 7, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 7, 2015 ---
    I have wrongly written the dates of day 3 & day 4 as 23/12 & 24/12 actually these should have
    been 22/12 & 23/12.
    Please pardon me for the mistake.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DAY-4::24/12/2014

ROUTE>>BARKUL-MANGLAJODI-PURI

KM--125.6
    Kmpl--17.5

MANGLAJODI

I first visited this heaven for birds called MANGLAJODI in 2010.It's an portion of the CHILIKA lake and basically swamp land.Very small boats (only 4 visitors per boat are allowed).The boats are pushed through(with the help of a bamboo only) very narrow & shallow channels inside the swamp.And allow one a good view of many species of resident & migratory birds.It's a must visit if you love to watch birds in their natural habitat.Enjoy the pics---
    phulbani tour 129.JPG phulbani tour 131.JPG phulbani tour 134.JPG phulbani tour 136.JPG phulbani tour 138.JPG phulbani tour 146.JPG phulbani tour 150.JPG phulbani tour 155.JPG phulbani tour 156.JPG phulbani tour 157.JPG
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    More pics of MONGLAJODI-----

phulbani tour 158.JPG phulbani tour 159.JPG phulbani tour 160.JPG phulbani tour 161.JPG phulbani tour 164.JPG phulbani tour 165.JPG phulbani tour 179.JPG phulbani tour 171.JPG
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Some more pics of MANGLAJODI----
    phulbani tour 192.JPG phulbani tour 191.JPG phulbani tour 201.JPG phulbani tour 209.JPG phulbani tour 223.JPG phulbani tour 238.JPG phulbani tour 253.JPG phulbani tour 254.JPG phulbani tour 268.JPG phulbani tour 270.JPG phulbani tour 272.JPG

Some facts about MANGLAJODI

In the last 2 pics of the above pics,many of the people standing with me(in the last but one pic--green check shirt) & my friend(wearing spectacles) in the last pic were notorious for bird hunting.And the whole MANGLAJODI region were notorious as village of bird hunters.But the ODISHA govt. & some NGOs have transformed them into bird protectors.A society named
    'MAHAVIR PAKSHI SURAKSHA SAMITY' was formed and they now promote bird watching at MANGLAJODI.The once hunters now work as guide & boatman.But there is some serious problem of infrastructure(bare basic needed because too many contructions will keep the birds away) like toilet & water.

Anyway this place is a treat for the bird/nature lovers.Anyone interested may contact ;
    JOY BEHERA,(The man wearing cap in the last 2 pics)
    VICE PRESIDENT--'MAHAVIR PAKSHI SURAKSHA SAMITY'-MANGLAJODI
    MOB:09668389773
    prabhjot, punto_emotion and Ravi like this.
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After the expedition at MANGLAJODI we headed for PURI.Found our staying option at DEEP RESORT but the interesting part is that this hotel has cottages(cottage style rooms) on the top floor @ 2450/night(at a discounted rate).
    phulbani tour 282.JPG

Some pics of PURI
    phulbani tour 286.JPG

Me & family
    phulbani tour 305.JPG
    sunset
    phulbani tour 306.JPG
    some mouth watering sweets
    phulbani tour 313.JPG
    in front of Shree Jagannath temple
    phulbani tour 311.JPG

End of day 4.
    SOOZ_P, prabhjot, Ravi and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What a lovely pictures, thanks for sharing.
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi.