1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Phulbani,Odisha - REVISITED

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sandipan_r15, Dec 28, 2014.

1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here is the trailer--

phulbani tour 001.JPG phulbani tour 002.JPG phulbani tour 032.JPG phulbani tour 059.JPG phulbani tour 081.JPG phulbani tour 093.JPG phulbani tour 155.JPG phulbani tour 129.JPG
    Ganges, asimpleson, limraj and 7 others like this.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost! Eagerly waiting for the full story specially around the drive on the village road as seen in the last pic.
    sandipan_r15 likes this.
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes dost,bahut sara pictures baki hai(pardon my poor hindi).Willnot be able to start the detailed thread before this week end.Till then enjoy the pics---
    phulbani tour 087.JPG phulbani tour 091.JPG phulbani tour 150.JPG
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    INTRO::ODISHA is my favourite destination so far as tour by own car is concerned.The most compelling reason is hills;I love hills/mountains and there are plenty of hills(most of them greens) in ODISHA.Second reason is roads,most of ODISHA’s roads(broad or narrow) are generally well maintained.Third is cost;barring regions in and around PURI & BHUBANESWAR every place in ODISHA provide economic fooding and lodging, so it’s more touring at less money.ODISHA also provides variety of destinations;you can cover jungle,hills & sea beach in the same tour .

I have toured ODISHA numerous times(and so max Bengali does in the form of PURI) but the basic diff of my tour from that of most other Bengalis is that I mostly covered off track destinations rather than PURI.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTDC::One observation from tour of ODISHA this time is that OTDC has become a crap. Not that OTDC was very good before(I stayed in many OTDC hotels/resorts previously—at TAPTAPANI,CHANDIPUR,SAMBALPUR,BARKUL,RAMBHA) but things have deteriorated for sure.I stayed in the cottage at BARKUL this time & paid @ 2300 for a single night. The rooms and other things are very poorly maintained---

1)worn out & torn bed sheets,

2)damaged mirror in the bathroom,

3)misaligned door scratched floor & made noise every time it was opened/closed,

4)colours peeling of every here and there,

5)shortage of staffs,

6)every staff (except at reception)expects and openly shows their gestures to have some tips.

Over all very poor experience & I definitely will not opt for OTDC if otherwise not compulsory to do that.
    prabhjot and Ravi like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very sad to read this.
    Most if the OTDC is greatly located and very spacious rooms. Problem is govt employees doesn't care about these advantages.
    prabhjot and sandipan_r15 like this.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This was my 4th major tour on board my PUNTO. The previous tours were--
    1)HALDIA-NORTH BENGAL-HALDIA(covering SAMSING,JHALONG,BINDU,SUNTALEKHOLA) in 2012
    2)HALDIA-NORTH BENGAL,SIKKIM-HALDIA(covering JALDAPARA,GORUMARA,COOCHBEHAR in WB & PELING+UTTARE in SIKKIM) in 2013
    3)HALDIA-VIZAG-ARAKU-JAGDALPUR-SAMBALPUR-HALDIA in 2013

The term 'revisited' has been used as it is my 3rd visit to PHULBANI,though it is the first visit for my micro family(wife & son).I first visited PHULBANI driving my 1st WAGON'R , probably is 2006.And the second visit was to deliver my 1st YAMAHA R15 to the buyer at PHULBANI;me & the buyer rode the bike to PHULBANI in 2 days.

This is for the first time I drove overnight in any tour.Started at 08:30 pm on 20/12/2014 & reached PHULBANI on 21/12/2014 at 12:30pm.Took a 3 hrs break at a INDIAN OIL petrol pump in between CUTTACK & BHUBANESWAR.

The young man,PRASHANT to whom I sold my R15 helped me a lot this time also.
    Ganges and prabhjot like this.
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY 1 & 2 :: 20/12/2014 & 21/12/2014

ROUTE>>> HALDIA—NANDAKUMAR—DIGHA—JALESWAR—CUTTACK—BHUBANESWAR—NAYAGARH—BHANJANAGAR—PHULBANI

Total km = 665.2
    Kmpl=18.5

My friend could not start with me on 20/12 as his parents strongly objected against an overnight journey but I decided to go ahead.This was my first ever overnight journey; was tensed, but not too much.Started from HALDIA @ 8:30 PM.Reached DIGHA around 10:30 and had our dinner with precooked food.

This is the just inaugurated 'Gateway of DIGHA'—Digha is one of the most popular tourist spots in Bengal
    phulbani tour 002.JPG

And we are at NEW DIGHA—had our dinner here
    phulbani tour 003.JPG

Took the DIGHA—JALESWAR road which had almost no traffic.But some fogs were definitely there so I had to reduce my speed to about 10-20 kmph.I was keeping the speed @ 80kmph.rThis stretch of road(about 38km) was not generally good with some repairing on & some occasional path holes(not very big).Reached NH-5 safely.There was medium traffic on NH-5 & many of them were buses.At @ 3:30 am(21/12) reached the toll gate just before CUTTACK.And decided to have a nap/break.But changed the programme due to noise from vehicles near the toll gate.Went ahead,crossed CUTTACK & found a well lit and open INDIAN OIL pump with good space to park my car.Filled diesel for 500 bucks; parked my car on a side of the pump & took a nap for about 2:30 hours.Upto Cuttack got a kmpl of 19.9.
    phulbani tour 004.JPG

Started about 7 am on 21/12 and took the road for NAYAGARH after crossing BHUBANESWAR(crossing BHUBANESWAR was a breeze in that early morning hours).

Took our breakfast here with some cakes & other dry foods ----

phulbani tour 006.JPG

to be contd.-------
    Ganges and pabhishek like this.
  8. puklujonty

puklujonty Timido

India
  9. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In the above pic,me & my friend (from left).Pics taken at PHULBANI in front of our hotel.
    (He started from HALDIA on 21/12/2014 in the morning & reached PHULBANI in the evening.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    contd. from my last post----
    I took the NAYAGARH-BHANJANAGAR-PHULBANI route rather than NAYAGARH-DASPALLA-PHULBANI route because of the fantastic scenic beauty of the BHANJANAGAR-PHULBANI route;even though the former route is longer than the later one.And surely it pays.The road is now fantastic.The Bhanjanagar-Phulbani road is under VIJAYWADA-RANCHI corridor & is NH157.That's a beautiful road with almost no pathhole,every possible road symbols,fully installed reflectors & guard walls on the ghat section & negligible traffic;this road(85km) is a dream for any motorist & nature lover.

At BHANJANAGAR
    phulbani tour 009.JPG

BHANJANAGAR dam
    phulbani tour 010.JPG

It's time to take a nap;beside the road from BHANJANAGAR to PHULBANI.One can see plenty of them while travelling on this road--
    phulbani tour 012.JPG

On the ghat section--
    phulbani tour 032.JPG

Beautiful NH157
    phulbani tour 036.JPG

Beside NH157
    phulbani tour 039.JPG
    Chori in broad daylight--
    phulbani tour 043.JPG
    Yaah!happy to be here.
    phulbani tour 028.JPG

Reached PHULBANI @ 12:30 pm.Had our lunch at a family restaurant named'TOURMALINE',that's one weird name.But food was really tasty and rate was really cheap.(Also good cleanliness was there).
    Checked in the hotel
    ROYAL PLAZA(06842-255355,08895594734).It's a new hotel--well furnished & very clean rooms with AC & geysers--@1100/day--24 hours check out.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Ganges, Ravi and Saket Sidana like this.
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY 3 :: 23/12/2014:: PHULBANI SIGHT SEEING(covering drive on village roads & TIKARPARA forest,Jagannath temple)

km--225.5
    kmpl--17.9

Took a good rest on 21/12 & went for sight seeing on 22/12/2014.
    As such there is not much to see differently as sight seeing--the nature around PHULBANI is beautiful and the best thing to enjoy.
    PUTUDI FALLS:Last few kms of the road to the falls is in very bad shape & even autos refused to do that stretch so we abandoned the programme.
    Took village roads and went upto KATRANJIA(BANDAL,PANGA PAJU,BELA PADARA,DADAKI).Enjoyed some 'mitha bada' from the roadside village shop & came back to go to TIKARPARA.

Some of the pics taken on 23/12.

phulbani tour 048.JPG phulbani tour 049.JPG phulbani tour 052.JPG phulbani tour 062.JPG phulbani tour 064.JPG phulbani tour 067.JPG

The RITZ on the 3rd & 5th photo is that of my friend.
    The RANCHI-VIJAYWADA corridor is NH-157.Took the road for TIKARPARA from CHARICHAWK.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    prabhjot and Ravi like this.