1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Phoenix Rising - The GTX Restoration Log

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by teky, Oct 25, 2013.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Thanks Puntoed

The S10 spoiler comes along with the body unlike the GTX isn't it. He has got mine removed and the hatch door is still available on the 1.2.

Oops - Thanks for this, I will update my list.
  2. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

S10 spoiler is glued onto the glass unlike the GTX which comes with holes in the glass and bolts on the spoiler. It was stuck very firmly and hence couldn't remove :(

My hatch had a rust problem similar to your front windsheild. Few sections had to be rebuilt and the job completed yesterday!

y3mlJKe.jpg
    2 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That is sweet work Teky. Palio tugs at the heart strings like no other.

Enjoy!
    1 person likes this.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Thanks Gurjinder. Very true about the heart strings part, the sweet motor is pretty addictive.
    1 person likes this.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Ever since the restoration work was planned I had thought about the color option for the GTX. I didn?t want to retain the original Fern Green even though it was good looking. Since the Punto was a Silver shade I wanted something bright to go along with the character of the car. I quickly photoshoped Palio to find out how it suited the car, here are couple of pictures. Original picture was picked up from this thread
    Palio Front Blue.jpg
    Palio Front Brown.jpg
    Palio Front_Focus Green.jpg

The Brown was dropped due to black beadings not standing out and I didn’t want to go for green again. So there were other options left around the color and we decided to sample them on the car to get a suitable match. The colours tried were two shades of blue and blood red. The original Blue shade we wanted wasn’t readily available in Indian cars and hence we gave the color code at the paint shop and wait a complete day before they got the formula. After looking at the Paint it wasn’t quite what we wanted and hence asked the paint shop guys to remove black from the mix. That’s the reason we’ve ended up with 2 Blue shades. The red shade wasn’t going to be tried however my other half who visited the paint shop along with me was impressed at a Honda Activa standing there and she wanted to try that. I also liked that Red and since Red on Palio was my favourite I agreed for that.

Sample shades painted
    Colour Options 1.jpg
    Colour Options 2.jpg

Closer look at the shades
    Closer Look at Colours 1.jpg
    SWMBO's choice
    Closer look at Colours 2.jpg
    Closer look at Colours 3.jpg

Post the sample painting after a mini-meet with fellow Fiat’ians in Chennai we unanimously decided upon a shade. Once we gave a go ahead for the colour the car was supposed to be moved to paint shop for preparing the ca for further painting. However the car wouldn’t start and on probing Murugan found out that one of the plastic hoses carrying fuel to injector was cut-off. Finally Murugan sourced it from SM Automobiles in GP Road, Chennai and the car was moved to the Paint shop after 2 days of delay.

Once the car was moved to Paint shop the painter started working on rubbing the car and preparing the surface including removing of the rust. The white vinyl which was stuck on the roof by previous owner was also removed to aid re-painting. The roof fading away was common problem with Palios and hence the previous owner had stuck the vinyl looks like.
    Palio Moved to Paint Shop 1.jpg
    Palio Surface being Rubbed.jpg
    The roof line fixed
    Palio Roofline Fixed.jpg
    Another Interior 1.jpg

As of last Friday evening the primer has been applied and plan is to get the car painted by end of next week. So what color did we choose - that's going to be unknown until next weekend atleast.

Another Interior.jpg
    11 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wow teky. This is one of the detailed restoration thread I have seen so far. Good going.
    1 person likes this.
  7. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wow teky... detailed naration with appropriate pics. needless to say you have dedicated a good amount of time on this restoration. Good going..
    Mind sharing the wheels for a spin.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Thanks Ramesh - I hope to document the complete process for future reference and get advice from fellow members

Thanks Sreehari. It's been more than a month into restoration and I expect this to go for another month. Will definitely provide the wheels once the job is complete.
  9. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Simply Wow.I m seeing this type of detailed restoration log for the first time:p.Awesome.Excited to see how ur car looks Restoration work is completed.loved that S10's exhaust note,just like a Race car which pumps Adrenaline in you.Palio has more Fan following than new gen Fiat's.
    1 person likes this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    how about orange?