1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Phoenix Rising - The GTX Restoration Log

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by teky, Oct 25, 2013.

1. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

Awesome description. t feels like gliding through the story. What a love it speaks about....
  2. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Teky, please do share the cost associated with restoration. 12 year old and the car maintained it figure, complexion very well :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Thanks miteshpunjani. It's airways the case with a Fiat.

I'll share the cost once the restoration is complete. Currently it's WIP. Yes the paint reeks quality.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats teky. Its seldom that dreams come true. I am happy that yours did and keep on dreaming for more and tell us about that when they becomes reality. I have read the description about your hunt and the drama when you took delivery and the posts when you guys introduced us to the fiat tamer aka sathya. keep going.....
    1 person likes this.
  5. Gokulk

Gokulk Novizio

After quite a long time i logged in because of my hectic schedule and am very happy to see such kind of love & affection a person has on his cars and complemented with a very good thread to go with.Im really happy for you teky......Eagerly waiting to see your loved one after restoration
    1 person likes this.
  6. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    Awsome narration , nice write up , It was like a great short film on suresh'um phoenix'um :)
    waiting for next story on restoration ...
    1 person likes this.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Thanks sathishgv.

Thanks Gokul, I'm also eagerly waiting for the outcome.

Thanks Vijay. Regarding the movie I'm awaiting for the original movie release.
    1 person likes this.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

I picked the GTX always to re-build to its original glory. Even before the actual re-build the car was a stonker, I can’t imagine the fun guys had 12 years back when 100HP was a rarity and roads were with less traffic. The car was to be completely stripped down and pending mechanical issues had to be taken care of. There were also couple of threads over the internet which made this my dream. Here are some of them

Arguably the best S10 in this Country

The best restoration log I've read so far on GTX

Beating the factory finish

The car was dropped at Murugan’s workshop to understand the mechanical issues and also to strip the complete car down and perform tinkering. After checking the car thoroughly there was few parts which had to be replaced because of the age of the car and also general wear and tear. The Timing Kit, Clutch Master Cylinder, Front Struts, Suspension Mounts were recommended to be changed. Also there were other Cosmetic stuff like headlights which had to be sourced. I had sourced the timing kit previously through Ramesh and also sourced the cam locking tool kit from UK to ensure the timing is set perfectly. I also made a complete list of parts to be changed including the cost to track the status of each item. Here’s a snapshot of parts which I enlisted - I'll provide an updated list once the restoration is complete
    The List.jpg

Cosmetically there were couple of dings but nothing major on the body. However as previously stated the rivets holding the rubber beadings had given away which means there was water seepage, also there was a spot of rust near the windshield beading. So the car was completely stripped down it took around 1 week for the tinkering to complete including the roof which had an additional portion of metal stuck to replace the rusted portion. The rusted rivets also couldn’t be replaced since it was spot welded in the factory, So we had to use screws similar to that size and weld them inside the body. Here are couple of pictures of the work progressed so far

The car started to be stripped down
    Palio Stripping Down.jpg
    Palio Stripped Down.jpg

The interiors were also stripped down completely
    Interiors Being Stripped Down.jpg
    Stripped Down Interiors.jpg

The tinkering work started post this and since it wasn’t a major work it progressed swiftly. Post the complete tinkering somehow we were not convinced about the front doors as it had some indication of rust and hence it was decided to change them. Instead of just changing one we changed all four from a donor car. The donor car in question is a pristine Palio 1.2 whose engine and gear box was donated to another 1.2 which crashed into a electric pole. Even though the owner could’ve bought the donor car and driven away he decided to restore his car, such is the connect few people have got with their cars. Picture time now

Palio Tinkering.jpg

The car with silver doors from a donor car
    Palio Tinkering 1.jpg
    Palio Tinkering 2.jpg

Meanwhile I ordered the required parts from 99rpm and they were dispatched in good 2-3 weeks. I was even able to source the original cofap struts Made in Brazil. All the parts were Fiat Original except the suspension rubber kit which was an aftermarket as the Fiat OE wasn’t available. If 99rpm was not available I would have had to run around and shop for parts and also have a doubt about parts quality. With 99rpm it was all transparent and easy to make transactions. Pankaj was also very helpful over the phone/e-mail when required, he used to dig the parts catalogue and help me with accurate part names to enable order the right stuff. He even updated a picture on his website just because I wanted to confirm what part I wanted. Overall a very positive experience and highly recommended online vendor especially for Fiat. The only part yet to be shipped is the door beadings and hopefully it will be shipped before the restoration is complete.

Overall mechanical condition was also good and hence the mechanical work was completed in two days. Work completed including front suspension, Clutch master cylinder, all sensors, all belts and timing kit.

Coming up next the Color confusions
    3 people like this.
  9. Puntoed

Puntoed Amatore

Austin / Blr
    Glues to this thread. This is called love!!!
    1 person likes this.
  10. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

So it was your car at Murugan's! I had been there to fix a faulty alternator couple of weeks back.

That donor Palio 1.2 was pristine indeed. I had struck a deal with Murugan to reaplce my hatch with its hatch, however he couldn't remove the spoiler form my hatch :(

However - glued to the thread and eager to see the progress!

BTW on your list - there is no separate Alternator Belt and Power steering belt. Same belt runs them both.
    1 person likes this.