1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Petrol pump safety: Do not get in and out in petrol pumps

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by sungoa2010, May 13, 2012.

1. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    sungoa! really scary moment. Just imagine we and our punto in that situation. We can't leave the punto there and neither dare to stop the flame and rush in our car.

But one thing, without getting out of the car, how do you ensure zero on fuelling instrument and how to trust the guys there? Just a factor of belief i guess.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    @Nithrath: If you look in to video you will notice that the lady hasn't touched the door after reentring the car. She was simply touching her shirt and there was no place for the charge to discharge. If she had atleast touched the door for closing some charge might have transferred to the car and the probability to catch fire could have been reduced.
    So the highest risk is ENTERING AND COMING OUT WITHOUT TOUCHING ANY METAL PART. In india the accidents are very rare because we don't do the filling. But still we cannot rule out the chances, when we touch the lid. Remember the edges are more prone for sparks.
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    There are a few ways to reduce the chances ..
    1.) Be sure to discharge all static charge by touching anything metal after you get down from the car, maintaining a safe distance from the car.
    2.) Dont go close to the pump or the fuel tank when the guy is filling , just ensure the pump reads 0 from a far distance.
    3.) Throw that stupid fiber floor mats and get a decent looking plastic mat or an anti-static mat. ( if not anything at least the design is going to be better than default mats)

In bangalore I had major issues last year from sept-jan'12. During winter seasons its really bad. I almost got zapped every time i touched anything. I was very careful to not go close to the pump at all..