1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Petrol pump safety: Do not get in and out in petrol pumps

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by sungoa2010, May 13, 2012.

  1. sungoa2010


    I have a habit of getting out of the car in petrol pumps to check whether the operator is closing the lid properly.
    This is a potentially dangerous act. If we are wearing a shoe and the coming in and out happens while pouring petrol the chances of fire is more.
    The culprit here is the static charge. You might have noticed a shock while touching the door. In US there are lot of accidents that happens because of this.
    Do not go to operator while he is filling. Let him finish his job and take the park to a safe area and get out and check. The static charge related safety norms are very much neglected in our petrol pumps.

    Here is an article which gives more information
    Don't Get Burned at the Pump- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

    Static Electricity Problems In Petrol Stations
  2. Tony

    Tony Esperto

    Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Agree with your Sungoa, Here in kuwait every pump has a sticker on the pump, saying touch here to discharge the static,
    Even i feel this but only when i am wearing the Reebok sports Shoes, But never with the Nike and the Leather shoes,
    But when in Bombay at the filling station i just open and watch the operator when fuelling and ensures that he closes the lid properly.
  3. nice info... but one doubt... is this applicable for diesel cars as well???
  4. pemmasg

    pemmasg Regolare

    There is one important factor influencing static electricity, HUMIDITY. If your place is high in humidity then you need not bothert about static. It is more obvious in USA because of its climatic conditions.
    I myself have notieced even sparks energing out when I touched car doors especially in winter.

    Chennai is soooo COOOL and safe in this angle, I think even GOA too???

    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010


    The risk is very high while filling where some of petrol get evaporate and this can easily burn in case of a spark. Once the lid is closed the risk is very less. Diesel which is very denser than petrol evaporate very slowly. Boiling point of diesel is higher than that of water but petrol is very less.
    So the risk is more for petrol compared to diesel.

    @Tony: I think the problem is more common in foreign countries where we fill the petrol. But we cannot avoid it completely here. I have seen people here using mobile phones inside the petrol bunks.

    ---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

    But in Goa I use to get quite heavy shock in my alto. Some how I didn't felt it in Punto. The reason will be I use to wash the punto every day and the static charge developed decays but alto, which gets wash very rarely have less chance of decay.
  6. theblack

    theblack Esperto

    There is actually a video on either "Myth busters" or "Fifth gear" (TV serials) where the test this claim and from that result out of a 1000 trials not once did any spark or short circuit happen because of mobile usage.
    This test was also done to falsify the claim put across by the air crafts that using phones will disturb the radio frequencies and disrupt aircraft function..
    Both these claims have been tested.
    But yes i do agree its always to better to be safe.

    I used to get out of the car and stand beside that guy to see if he was honest .. from now on I will just sit it out and then check these things out.
  7. ramjn

    ramjn Staff Member Janitor

    Linea 1.3
    I always have the habit of getting out of the car while fueling. But, this piece of information from you is raising alarm to me. The saving grace is I have never faced any static electricity in Chennai so far as said by pemmasg. But, still I will refrain from getting out of the car from now on.
  8. sungoa2010


    1 person likes this.
  9. Cinju

    Cinju Esperto

    I think what pemmasg really makes sense. When I used to drive in the Middle east I used to get this static shock like anything when I touch the door while getting in /out. My friends used to make fun of me saying I am more of an electric conductor :). But I have never ever felt this back in my home town . By any chance speed adds to creating static electricity ? I mean in Middle east our average driving speed would be 80-120 kmph where as in India it would be 40-60.
  10. sungoa2010


    Speed definitely is a factor. But the charge also decay through tire. Also when we close the door some of the charges also get discharged. Even waxing is also a culprit.
    I did a internet search just to find the effect of waxing on static charge. I have observed my car becoming a dust collector after waxing. The amount of dust was more than pre waxed car. I used to buff the glass with newspaper and this also attract dust particle because of static charge developed because of rubbing with paper. All this static charges are not harmful except there are vapors of explosive things. A fuel tank leak is a potential harm.

    The following link will tell what hell can cause because of static charge in a wind(Not related to automobiles)Discovery Channel :: News - Earth :: Study: Dust Storms Are Electric

Share This Page