1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Petrol poured in to diesel Tank & leakage in tank - How to fix it

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varoon9999, Jul 10, 2012.

1. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When this incident happened i was like utterly shocked with wide mouth open.like this :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was one fine Saturday 6th june i was at HP petrol bunk @ defence colony (New Delhi).Everytime i go for refueling i get down and see the meter starts with zero and diesel should not spill over on the car's body.A 20 yrs old boy at bunk asked me sir speed ya normal ??? I thought he asked Hi-speed ya normal.I replied normal and he without seeing the inner lid with sticker DIESEL,poured petrol for 1000/- bucks in my car.Fortunately before cranking mY car i looked at the bunk's meter and found out 14 ltrs only???I was like diesel that to 14 ltrs for 1000/- bucks....goooshhh it was petrol poured in to my diesel tank.Shouted at that poor chap(petrol bunk employee).Mistake was done by both of us,then we pushed the car to the garage/workshop at petrol bunk itself and then the garage mechanic was called up and he said sir dont worry i can get this petrol out of the tank.I was skeptical and not comfortable with the local mechanic opening my diesel tank.Then i called up our TFI vetran nitin bro (nkapoor777) shared my horrendous experience with him and he said,"mere sath bhi hua tha kuch time pehle".(same thing happened with him).Then i allowed local mechanic to open it carefully under supervision of nitin bro,2.5 hours it took for whole exercise,lastly fuel guage was taken out and then sponge was plonked in to the tank and i could see the empty tank, guage,gasket and bolts were put in place.

Here starts the problem of leakage when tank is filled fully,as i was aware of this leakage might happen,nitin bro had this leakage prob so i was ready to accept that it can also leak in my case too.Drove for one week 3000kms without full tank,only top ups.Taken my car to ABS motors gurgaon and enquired same issue,advisor suggested no remedy only tank need to be changed.I was like ha ha ha for sometime and did not discuss this with him again.last saturday been to him motors (patpatganj) showed it to Mr.Op sharma and got it rectified in 1 hrs time.A rubber gasket sized 3*2 inches was replaced with older gasket and leakage vanishes.

(NKapoor777 brother thanks for the help)

Once the diesel tank is opened this old gasket losses its strength and cant hold diesel in.

*TANK SEALING GASKET PART NO.0051782450 Rs.214.22

Total bill Rs.522
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanks for putting this up Varoon 22 ji.

These service centre guys will one day start replacing entire engines when it's time to get it serviced. (" Sir, why keep old engine? New one better na!") :)

Cheers
    4 people like this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    A similar incident happened with me few months back but it wasn't my car which was the victim. It was a dealer's loaner linea which was with me while my punto was getting repaired! The loaner car had its fuel lid missing on which diesel is written and there was no sticker on the outer lid also. After filling I started the car and would have drove for around one km when it started jerking! something like handbrake is engaged. It was moving very slowly. First I thought handbrake has got stuck. But white smoke started coming out slowly and it increased. I came down and opened the bonnet to check if I could find something! Then it struck me that it might be due to petrol! I ran back to the bunk to ask if he had filled petrol. To my horror he said yes! That time I was not aware whatr could be the outcome of this so I got really afraid! It was 9:30 pm friday night. I called the dealer service manager to inform. He told the car will be towed to the SC but it would be possible only on monday because next day was some annual function of theirs. In the meantime we had pushed the car to the bunk! It was left there overnight with their permission.

In the morning we found some mechanic who said this is a very common problem and they are used to dealing with it everyday. He did the same procedure mentioned by varoon above and the car was back to normal after two hours.

However I was not aware of this leaking issue as I returned the car after couple of days. Its more than 1.6 years now to it, hope the leaking problem didn't happen!

My friends and I even managed to get the 1500 rs back from the petrol bunk after some haggling!
  4. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    You're welcome dude!! Thank god you didn't buy ABS's genius advice and went to Him Motors.

Lol Gurjinder for the engine replacement comment!!
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Varoon and kapoor bro, how far is Him Motors from Gurgaon? What is the best route for the same?
  6. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bro, here you go.

NH8-DHAULA KUAN-CROSS 11MOORTI-CROSS TALKATORA STADIUM-FOLLOW ASHOKAROAD-INDIA GATE-PRAGATIMAIDAN-LAXMINAGAR ROUTE-KEEP GOING STRAIGHT-THEN YOU SEE PATPATGANJ IND AREA BOARD THERE.

(if you are planning to visit him motors reach there by 9 am in the morning,cars are flocked there like anything and they have sooo many cars to work upon.)

congrats on your purchase,we all delhi TFI members are planning to meet this weekend plz make it if possible.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/teamfiat-meet/2611-any-teamfiat-meet-delhi-26.html
  7. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Varoon are you sure, work has been done by him motors patpar ganj, anand vihar. Cause they work only on tata vehicles and not fiat, at least some time back. That is why i have to go to the Oberai cars noida.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, bro vivek they have started full fledged TATA-FIAT service center now.earlier they were entertaining only tata cars but now they do both tata and fiat cars.Witnessed some 20 fiat cars there other day.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Am very careful when filling fuel as I have heard about sch great mistakes by the owner /pump guys. I always get out of the car and check the right fuel and then let the guy pour the fuel.
  10. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Thank you for giving me such a nice info.