1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Petrol-Diesel pricing is free from Govt control now

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Ravi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Manmohan Singh announced that even Diesel prices will be completely freed. Expect more price rise !!
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    With prices being deregulated I am guessing oil companies will be able to make more money. Does this mean that fuel quality will also improve? As of now, our emission norms are not being upgraded as fast as the government wants because every time the oil companies say they are not ready with better quality fuel. Do we see changes in that? Funny that the manufacturer's take barely a few days to upgrade their engines to meet stricter emissions while the government owned oil companies keep asking for more time to upgrade their product!

About diesel being deregulated, with difference narrowing between the two fuels would we see better diesel engines coming soon? The reason to buy a diesel car will then shift from long term savings to better driveablity wouldn't it? Does that mean we would see Euorpean companies coming out with their 1.6 MJD's and better diesel engines to offset the performance advantage of petrol's? :-D

PS: FIat!!! Get the Punto T-Jet in asap. And this time tune it to 150bhp with a 6 speed M/T!
  3. Still Shell Petrol (normal) price is higher by Rs. 6 in Chennai !!

If the price is determined by the market, the price should be more or less same for PSU and private players, right ?
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    You have a point there. Even I am a little confused with this 'petrol is now de-regulated' theory. If it is really de-regulated, it should have gone up by much more then Rs.3. I read somewhere many years back that the subsidy on petrol is about Rs.8 per liter. Also, shouldn't the system be like abroad where prices fluctuate through out the day if it's purely market dynamics determining prices of petroleum products? Also, in many places abroad, diesel is sometimes a little more then petrol , when I was in Canada, it was always almost on par with petrol and sometimes costing higher then petrol too.
  5. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Because both petrol and diesel are not COMPLETELY regulated is what I understand. I guess we need to read the kirit parikh committee report in detail.

Even in US : diesel is expensive than petrol.

Shell price according to me is the correct "market driven" price. But even they don't change their prices frequently.

Any fuel pricing mechanism experts here ?
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    This figure changes frequently depending on international crude price.

Cost of manufacturing (distilling) diesel is more than that of petrol as petrol is more volatile and distills faster.
    The reason why US has BIG Gas Guzzlers :devilface
  7. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    OT : are you a chemical engineer roy ?
  8. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    Diesel prices decontrolled

Guys, if govt finally decontrols the price of diesel cars, will diesel cars attract same premium as its getting now. If petrol and diesel cars are priced same, wont it attract more ppl to buy Punto MJD considering its better on mileage and engine is as good as petrol engines.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So after de-control the Diesel price might be more or similar to Petrol?? This will reduce the Diesel cars sales.
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Re: Diesel prices decontrolled

In fact, it would discourage people to go for Diesel. Today the key reason for diesel is low diesel prices & FE. If Petrol & Diesel prices become the same, the only reason for diesel would be slightly better driveability at low speeds due to torque & turbo.