1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    Re: Peted, K&Ned, 22K Kilometers, 4 Months

get it done by all means. but make sure its done by somebody who's done it before. and the headlamps...only doing the indicator part would be advisable. not the entire headlamps. something like those of the innova.
    nowadays even the new civic gets smoked headlamp units.
    drive safe.
  2. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

hey gaaij
    just wanted to share an unexpected thing that happened to me yesterday night.
    we just left the factory and slotted into third. there is a bad patch ahead and we have to downshift to second to pass those 50 odd meters of craters.
    the stick failed to go into second. and even the first gear. the stick simply wouldnt go to any gear except the 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse.
    baffled, i took the car out of the bad patch fearing the worst and riding the clutch a little.
    stopped the car, turned the ignition off, declutched a couple of times and tried again. it didnt work.
    called the service center guys, and since it was after 7 in the evening, they decided to meet me on the highway at vapi since they were already closed for the day.
    putting all my faith in God and all the driving skills i'd accrued in the days gone by, i crawled to a start in the 3rd gear. once the speed built up it wasnt an issue. coming to the highway, i have to cross 4 diversions and one toll plaza.
    three of the diversions didnt have any traffic (Act of God i suppose) and i breezed past, even now feeling a bit grumpy. the toll plaza was a different story altogether. jammed. had to stop.
    came to a halt behind a truck and was waiting my turn to cross the gate. the problem was also making me irritable.
    tried to take out my frustration by shaking the gear stick vigorously and voila!!! the problem was gone. all gears were as good as nothing had ever happened to them. couldnt believe it initially and tried it a couple of times, but since it worked alright, called up the service guys to tell them not to wait for me and i'd be at the service center today to check out what was wrong.
    this has happened to my swift also, but in that case a small lock on the linkage had broken and it was replaced within minutes and the problem was solved.
    here nothing seems to be broken, but it has to be checked out soon.
    my guess is that the heavy moisture content of the weather and all this driving on wet and sometimes water logged roads had played some mind games with the clutch master cylinder and maybe there was a hydraulic lock there.
    on the other hand, some linkage may also have jammed up and freed out when i shook the lever.
    any guesses on what couldve happened?
    will be waiting for your replies. but till the time something concrete comes up, please note that if your gear stick jams, you just shake it like its the end of the world and most probably it'll start working.
    take care guys, drive safe all of you.!!!
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

You are giving life saving tips :up
    Thanks a million and glad to see your problem is resolved.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Yes problem is resolved and now we know some workaround, but better get is checked properly and try to get real cause of the issue.

Why you didn't call Fiat RSA?
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

This happened to my Linea in Peak Hours B2B traffic :( The gear refused to move except for 2nd or 3rd gear. The clutch got jammed, flat to the floor & refuses to come up even after stomping foot in it. Because of B2B traffic in peak hours, I had to drive almost 700 meters to 1 km to get to the side of the road. I turned off the engine & pulled the clutch with my hand. Thank god 11 it came back to its position. Never had this problem again (a few months later Fiat changed the Clutch Slave Cylinder in all cars)
  6. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

So i guess after reading VP's post Epicentre , better get your clutch cylinder checked at a TSS ASAP..
    Also let me know if you know someone in and around Mumbai who would help me get my taillamps and heal lamp cluster to moist black finish...
  7. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Mandeep,

I an speechless with the details you have provided of ur experience with the Punto. Keep it flowing :)
  8. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

no worries. yes the problem is resolved and i am happy :D
  9. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

@ ravi and vp,
    no this was not what happend to the car. infact what happened is still unknown but the guys at the workshop were most helpful. they not only changed the gear oil and bled the clutch for no cost at all they also insisted in ordering a new clutch master cylinder just to check out if anything was wrong with mine and replace it under warranty if necessary.
    these guys turned out to be better than roadside assistance i suppose.

@ andy,
    mumbai...i dont know who will do a good smoking job but i suppose you could enquire with n1 racing at haji ali i suppose.

@ashpalio..
    u'd be doing the same thing in my place. thanx for the compliments. will also keep on posting as and when stuff happens or gets done.

drive safe all of you.
  10. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

had the car for the 30k service some days prior to the gear lever incident.
    they had mentioned a changed lock on the bill which was not chargeable as it was replaced under warranty.
    upon enquiry i found out that the courtesy light (cabin light) switch is integrated into the door lock assembly and not a seperate item like conventional cars.
    since the courtesy light in my car didnt operate when i unlocked it (didnt notice it myself), the guys checked it out at the service center and replaced it.
    just for your information guys.
    oh and yeah, the service charges were a shade over 4600 bucks this time around too.
    so at 33000 kilometers on the odo if i consider 9000 bucks for total service money spent at the authorised service center and exclude the tires from the deal, it amounts to a nice 27 paise per kilometer.
    will put up a detailed expense report for references soon.
    drive safe everyone and have a nice day.