1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Re: Peted, K&Ned, 22K Kilometers, 4 Months

Epicenter.

New shoes at 25K. ? I am surprised and worried. Looks like you have been blasting and showing a clean pair of shoes to the guys behind you.! I guess your brake shoes would have also taken the hit of intense brakingwhich matches your acceleration.
    Keep us posted . You are a gem of a guy doing R & D with the Punto in all forms of driving. Appreciate your passion and intrerest .

Abdul
  2. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

@ abdul
    i've always been biased for goodyear tires on any kind of vehicle. the tires on the punto have reinforced this bias to another level. the way they wear out unevenly, even after rotation and flipping on the rims, the way their noise intrudes into the cabin and makes everything hum with it, the way they show their character on the road is utterly hopeless. goodyears even otherwise havent ever worn true on a lot of vehicles leading to an earlier tire change incident. the guys at the tata authorised service center claim to have changed more goodyear gt3s on the quadrajets than air and oil filters together. and what i am deducing from all this feedback is that tata fiat have either purposefully or knowingly or unknowingly opted for an inferior set of tires with no market value or character whatsoever.
    i've used jk, mrf, apollo, continentals, yokohamas and hankooks on a lot of my cars and believe me the only tires i am impressed with are the yokos and the contis. nothing beats them when it comes to performance and wear pattern.
    the swift i had earlier had a set of premium contacts of 195 section which had already seen this side of 50k kilometers and were good to go for another 20k without a shady wink. and all this with only a couple of alignments and balancing sessions.
    about the brake shoes, they bite perfectly and the feedback on the brake pedal is delicious. will get the cleaned when the car goes in for a check to the service center before going to delhi and thats the time when i'll come to know the exact position of the shoes.
    one thing i've learnt by practice is braking in stages instead of just mashing th brake pedal and trying to take it out on the other side of the floor board, i brake in 3 or 4 stages by applying and releasing the pedal on instinct. also gives time to the disc and the shoes to cool down a fraction.
    about the r & d, this car, like the swift has a lot of potential that one can exploit. i am just trying to do that and being a bit tech savvy and having friends in the right places does help a lot :D
    as always, my tubbits..
    drive safe guys
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Mandeep

My friend took up the Goodyear dealership in a big way and convinced me to change to GY when I was changing for my Santro. I went back to him a year later and he was peddling Michelin. When I asked him why he moved from a big brand GY, he said he had big problems with his regular customers with the Good years.
    As for me MRF and Bridgestones have served me well over the years.
    About the brakes: I felt that after a little rain or going thru water, when you take the car out after a couple of hours , they tend to lock up big time on first use. It takes a while to warm up. Is this normal ?

Abdul
  4. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

goodyears' days have gone. i think the only good tires sold by them are the assurance series and i am apprehensive even about them though a couple of friends are all gaga over them when they shod their fiestas with them. i drove one of the cars and it wasnt exactly a confidence inspiring situation, but then to each his own.
    about the brakes, i suppose this is the case with most of the brake setups, though i am not very sure about it. i tend to brake once when i start moving, just to check up on the pedal or just because its been pre programmed in my subconscious.
    after that braking is multistage and that too after de accelerating from quite a distance so i wouldnt know if they actually lock up before warming to operating temperatures.
    still will give it a shot tomorrow and get back to you.
    regards
    mandeep
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Fellow members can please pump your brakes a bit after a wade thru water to flush out the water initially and also feel the brakes a bit on resuming after a water run. It will help to warm up and clean the rust in the brake disc and may help avoid locking up when you really want to brake in a n actual situation.

Abdul
  6. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

abdul
    did try out the brake thingie but there was no lock up feel to them.
    actually tried it out during the first start in the morning when i leave for work and the brakes are absolutely at ambient temperature. they worked ok.
    also tried them out after about 3 hours after the car had been stopped and they worked ok without hassles again.
    since there was no rain, couldnt have the actual conditions to work out with, but the car is washed everyday and the brakes are wet when i leave.
    will try again when its raining prim and proper.
    drive safe
  7. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

to be honest i hate the GY GT3 thanks to the noise.. The road grip is amazing though
  8. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore

:eek:fftopic Hi Mandeep

Great to see you here . :nicethread I was hooked to your reviews in TBHP. however im trying my luck to get in there but got to know about Teamfiat & im here.

Anyways got a chance to meet you here & get some feed backs about PETED PUNTO. :redcar
  9. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

didnt find them very confidence inspiring in wet weather. a slight drizzle makes them go north.
    but now since they are almost dead, just cant wait to get the yokoz onboard :D
  10. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

anytime brother....
    will try to help out in any ways i can!!
    thanx for the compliments....just put what i feel on paper :D