1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Hey Mandeep.... Congrats Buddy for making it to 131K on the odo...
    You literally living the life we dream for... You almost spending your life with Italian Beauty - FGP ;)

I also need some info from your end buddy... where did you get your Vento's lights done?
    is it from Surat or from Baroda or From Ahmedabad?

As I am put up in Ahmedabad, Its great if that vendor is in Ahmedabad or will try in Baroda or Valsad or Surat in my next trip there... Does that Vendor will also do some attractive headlights work for Punto?

Please post high Res. pics of those Vento lights....

Neel.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    That was a lot of reading. Just a quick question, how is Pete's different from Racechip.De?
    Somebody is traveling to Germany and I am thinking of asking them to pick up the Racechip as it will save me shipping and cost me just 129 Euros. Are both Pete's and Racechip play & play or do they involve any mods?
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    AFAIK both are plug and play
  4. Both are plug and play but with race chip you can play around with the settings, but in the case of pete's they will tune it for you and the settings can be altered only by them.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Which one is better than? I am guessing RaceChip? Also, who deals in Pete's in Chennai?
  6. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    Hi Magnanimousdude,
    Carbon deposits accumulate over time in the entire diesel fuel system, including the fuel lines, injector pump, fuel injectors and combustion chambers.
    This causes rough idle, vibration at idle, loss of power, decreased mileage, increased smoke, slowed throttle response.
    Decarbonisation process is designed to remove these deposits resulting in:
    Better fuel economy
    Better combustion & increased power
    Faster starting & warm-up
    Reduced emissions
    Reduced injector & pump wear, thereby resulting in savings in maintenance costs
    It is approved for low sulphur diesel fuel and EGR equipped diesel engines

Hi Neel,
    Got the lights from Retro Rides Delhi. Very decent people. I dont know the cost as my brother was doing it for his car, i only helped him install them.
    No high def pics but will surely take some and post them across. The retro guys do it for all cars.

I use the Petes box in the Punto and the racechip in the vento. Both are good when it comes to performance. But one thing that i'd avoid is to fiddle with the settings on the racechip. They wont harm your car but I'm not very confident doing it. Each setting puts in a different trait to the car and its a big headache getting it just right. Took us two days to get the best setting (as we would want the car to run and nobody else) for the vento.
    For the petes, its just plug and play. And one correction, nobody tunes a petes box for you. They come with generic maps on them. The box that runs on the punto will run on the swift, the desire, the indica qjd, the scorpio, the verna and the optra.
    Since i havent driven a racechipped punto, i cannot comment on how it runs, but i am running the +1 settings on the punto since the last 30000 kilometers or so and its fun. Even with the stock settings the car is very enjoyable to drive. The jumper settings on the petes box can be changed to standard or +1 and back and that is just about the tuning you can do with it.
    It may seem expensive at first, but i havent seen any car thats had problems with the petes box. on the other hand, i havent seen much feedback on the racechip either. It was just that my brother was in Europe and we ordered it just for the hell of it.
    Choosing what to put in your car is entirely your prerogative. But dont forget a better flowing filter whatever box you choose.

Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
    Crossing 1,33,000. New tires next week with the much needed decarb job.
    1 person likes this.
  7. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    hi gaaij,
    Was trawling the highways some days back without the ac doing around 70 - 80 kph and here is what i got.
    clicked it just for kicks!
    Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!

IMAG0073-1.jpg
    10 people like this.
  8. Booking my Punto on 13-Aug-2012

:eek: That was something out of the 1.3 Multijet engine. I read your post, both in TBHP and again here in TeamFiat. Should say that, you have put down your words in a way, that amazed me to read your review again.

Anyways, I have a query. I am booking a Punto 1.3 Multijet DYNAMIC on Aug 13. I need your help in this aspect, and seek it earnestly. Please help me to jot down the technical details, which I may require while buying a new car and also handling it in the run in period of Punto D

1. How to find mine is a new car , or recently manufactured :

2. How to get discounts from the dealer. Dealer promised me already 20k Insurance Discount & 7K corporate discount. Anything more ??? :

3. Will I be able to ask for tyres of my interest. I read Michelin tyres perform well. If any :

4. What is the run in period or the period to season the car ?? :

5. What is the service interval, right from the day of purchasing ?? ::

6. What is the ideal drive mode in the run in period or till 5000 KMS. Please suggest :

7. I have read that, Punto will decrease the FE after the second service or XYZ kms ??? Is that true.

Please help with my queries , and also open for all forum members.

Happy Miles !!! :)
  9. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    Hi Heartlin,
    Go ahead and book the car by all means. This is one car that will put a smile on your face every time you even as much glance at it.
    I dont know what kind of after sales service network you have but rest assured, it is not a car that needs special knowhow to rectify faults. If you are mechanically inclined or have been around cars for a long time, most of the things can be diagnosed by you immediately and they will be spot on 99 percent of the time.
    Coming onto your points, here goes:

1. I think there is a thread about this somewhere.
    Finding the VIN & manufacturing date/year on Indian cars - Team-BHP
    See if this helps. For me, i just trusted the dealer for it.

2. Dealer discounts are pure negotiation skills. First, get to know the offers being put onboard by the parent company, then move in for the kill. If you know your way around, the dealers may let go of some mandatory charges, extended warranty fees, accessory costs, etc.

3.No. Tires will be aftermarket only. I have never been a big fan of Michelins, though i am a fan of the continentals and an avid yokohama user (used all the yokohama series available in india on different cars), you can take your pick once you get your car. Stick to the stock size, the tire dealer may want you to upsize but what i've learned from experience is that nothing beats stock sized tires when it comes to the roll of the car unless you are willing to mod a lot more.

4. I ran my car in for around 5000 kilometers, never exceeding the 2500 rpms. But its ones own prerogative. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, even water jacketed engines need to be run in.

5. Service intervals are 15000 kilometers or one year whichever is earlier.

6. See point 4.

7. If you have gone through my thread, i havent written that anywhere. But then its not only the service that is responsible for the decreased fuel efficiency. Climate, driving style, etc. all work hand in hand. Usually, after a service, it is human tendency to just take the car to the 140 kph mark to verify whether it will still go there. I dont know how that makes a difference but then thats how the human psychology work. Add to that the MID where the tripmeters are not set to zero and it compounds the matters. If you see the pic above, you'll see that the car gave roughly 32 kmpl and that too at almost 1.4 lac kilometers with the 135k service still pending.

I think i've covered everything i could.
    Dont forget to take the PDI checksheet with you when you take delivery of the car.

Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  10. Thanks epicenter. All the information you gave helped me a lot. Will come back with a news of owning a Fiat GP MJD.

Happy Miles :)))