1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Mandeep,

Good write up. Makes me wonder if this is the state of the EGR in your car where you rev so hard and go so fast, what will be the fate of many of our cars where we drive light foot and low rpm to acheive good FE? .Also puts a question mark on the kind of fuel we are filling. Its all sooting up very quickly. So the service manual is not the bible of service. one has to hear and listen to the car.

Abdul
  2. same thing happened to my poor 90 today. I believe I need to replace the windshield. How much would it cost
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @cyberdoctorind & @epicenter,

Similar thing happened to me and I too got a crack on the left bottom of the windshield (in front of the co-driver).

I have TATA AIG insurance, and I got it changed through insurance - my liability was only Rs 500/- (processing charges, I think). Cost of new windshield is 6K+.

Regards
    Johnny
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    79300 done

bhai amne to maja j hoi ne...punto wala chhaiye etle..:D. never went through the manual, its just that after the swift, the egr valve cleaning has become an integral part of the car service schedule. as soon as the car started behaving badly, my thoughts went right to the egr and i was right...again :D!! drive safe.

like i said ravi, it was that the car had been showing the engine check light time and again at the first start since the last few days. also a friend had noticed black smoke billowing out of the exhaust endcan. except for a malfunctioning egr, nothing else will do that.

i'll let u in on the big secret of these workshop guys. u'll only get star treatment if you are on good terms with the service advisor and the mechanics. they will never get their hands dirty for you if they think they can get away without doing it. an egr valve clean will never be recommended by the workshop guys because it means they will have to block a set of mechanics on one specific car for the whole day while on the other hand, they can put out atleast 3 to 4 cars in the same amount of time. about the service intervals, please note that the fiat engine uses synthetic oil from day one. a synthetic oil can take abuse upto 25000 kilometers if your driving is mainy on highways and for about 20000 kilometers if its a mix of city/highway driving. the fiat guys and all other european car manufacturers have wisely put the service intervals at 15000 kilometers. you dont need to reduce them to 10k. this will only increase your maintenance costs as you will be doing it thrice in the next 30k kilometers instead of doing it twice. the 60k interval is also perfectly logical for the fluids/lubricants change. again, doing it at 40000 will only increase your service cost. the guys at the workshop here dutifully changed all the lubes and fluids in the car at the 60k service. if the guys at your service center are not aware, maybe you need to change the service center and not the fluids and lube. the clutch getting hard is routine. maybe a normal bleeding will help it smoothen up. dont challenge the service intervals in the manual. you'll only end up finding the car more expensive to maintain. hope you get my drift.

abdul paaji, i think my revving the car so much is the culprit. the more i rev, the more the fuel burns and the more carbon is deposited making it difficult for the egr to function properly. but then, even with all these mad dashes i make, i havent found a lot of impact on the fuel efficiency. the last couple of weeks, ive been coming late from work and around midnight the roads are relatively empty. i travel 86 kilometers one ways to work every day. the morning drive takes me anything between an hour and fifteen to an hour and forty minutes to reach factory. the late night drives, ive been able to push the car to its limits time and again and my official best timing has been 45 minutes for the entire route. some time back during winters, when i had gone with dad to udaipur, i had managed to cover 285 kilometers in two hours n thirty minutes. ive stopped reading the mid fuel consumption readings frequently but even with all these most of the time 3 digit speeds, the average consumption B figures have not ventured below 18.5 kilometers per liter, which according to the state of tune of my car is not bad at all.
    i'll agree with you on one point, that the service manual is not the bible, you have to listen to what the car is saying. i havent had problems with bad fuels except for a couple of times but during those times i was lucky enough to fill up only for around 500 bucks or so. i also tend to use the diesel additive by wuerth every 10k kilometers or so just to clean up the insides of my fuel system. drive the car, listen to it and most of the problems will only be in your mind than actually on the car. this is the most fun hatchback i have ever owned.

i dont think i'll have to pay even that. mine is a zero depreciation policy. that means that even if i hurt the car on the fibre and plastic parts, the insurance company will reimburse fully. i'm allowed two major claims per year.
    i think i will be filing one claim in a couple of days :D
    thats all for now guys, all of you drive safe, drive hard, have fun and always wear a seatbelt.
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @epicenter

Mine is also a zero depreciation policy from TATA AIG. This limits your liability in a claim to Rs 500/=. If you manage to not pay this amount, please let me know. I will then take it up with TATA AIG.

Regards
    Johnny
  7. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    i will manage. dont ask me how. you can take it up with tata aig.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Perfect. +100.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Mandeep Paji,

Try this test, take white cotton or tissue paper,open your cars filter cap, try wiping the intake.
    I have posted pictures of the how i did this test in the link below.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/sho...s-and-con-s-of-after-market-airfilters./page4

while i was in autozone, i checked many K&N filters they all had noticeable pores in them.
    with turbo trying to force more air though the filters,these pores + oil (NoToil) is going allow dirt inside, i guess multilayer foam has more dirt trapping capability as it's at least tick as much as 25mm they use same ooil to catch the dirt but eventually small microns of dirt passes through.
    This I found out in hard way and one of my fried who was using K&N in Santro threw it out after seeing minute dirt inside the air intake after the filter,he had the filter for over a year and used to do proper cleaning and oiling.

Nothing beats paper filter when it comes to filtration part,I know you are a knowledgeable man, i am only bring out the facts about these things where we put our hard earned money and it went waste.
    -Sat
  10. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    sat paji,
    no offence meant but you can go by all the articles you can read. i will go by my experience.
    try opening the air filter box which has a stock air filter in it. you will find it more dirty than with any performance filter.
    and also note, i already said that i am not advocating k&ns or any other filters and neither am i saying that foam filters are bad. but then like i said, i'll go by experience.
    trust me on one thing, i too, like you am very conscious about where my hard earned money goes. i'll not spend it on anything that inturn will WASTE it. so chill and keep your car stock.
    drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.