1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    Re: Peted, K&Ned, 22K Kilometers, 4 Months

@countrock
    the pics are very much there.
    if they are not visible, just click on the thumbnail thats there n you can see the actual pic.
    thanks.
    drive safe n always wear a a seatbelt!
  2. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

so it was 65100 on the odo a couple of days ago and the car had been behaving a tad on the rougher side.
    slightly more nvh, an anaemic growl from the engine bay. also the performance had dwindled down a bit and the car had lost its appetite to eat anything (well almost) that came its way.
    took time off to check out what was going on and plonked open the bonnet. the first thing that hit me was that the air intake hose had come loose and was hanging disconnected from the system. that explained the odd growl from the bay. the air was sucked directy into the filter instead of going through the length of the hose and that was causing the turbulence. fixed it and was a happy man, but not before cleaing everything thorougly.
    fired up the car, a bit smoother but not upto the mark. bad diesel was ruled out since the family prefers only two diesel bunks locally and the car hasnt been out on a spin since some days.
    zeroed it down to the air filter (shouldve been the first checkpoint but i suppose i am getting old :p)
    got the spanner out to open up the filter lid but nothing had prepared me for the condition of the filter. i'd cleaned it some while ago (the logbook said 10000 kilometers) so throwing caution to the wind, i took the filter out.
    the pics will probably be the best way to make you understand what havoc all the dust, dirt, grit, and all the other elements play with the induction system of an engine.
    tapped it down, applied the k&n filter cleaner, washed the filter once and let it drip dry, not satisfied, applied the filter cleaner again and washed it down again till the water ran clear.
    drip dried it overnight and sundried it for a couple of hours the next day, wicked and charged it and its all ready to go back into the car.
    in the meanwhile the car is running on a stock filter. the low end is fantastic, but as the speed builds up, the car starts to pant. will have to put the k&n back asap.
    enjoy the pics guys, drive safe and always wear a seat belt.[attachment=5:2lj4uagh]IMAG0199.jpg[/attachment:2lj4uagh][attachment=4:2lj4uagh]IMAG0204.jpg[/attachment:2lj4uagh][attachment=3:2lj4uagh]IMAG0205.jpg[/attachment:2lj4uagh][attachment=2:2lj4uagh]IMAG0205.jpg[/attachment:2lj4uagh][attachment=1:2lj4uagh]IMAG0201.jpg[/attachment:2lj4uagh][attachment=0:2lj4uagh]IMAG0200.jpg[/attachment:2lj4uagh]

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

Woah! ::OO You must have made the car lighter by at least one kg when you cleaned up all that stuff ::V
    BTW did you weigh it? ::D
  4. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

@roy
    didnt get the time to weigh it but i guess it would be close to a 100 grammes i suppose.
    drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
  5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat

aah your car must have felt relieved.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2

OMG, Your car must be inhaling fresh air now, :car
  7. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

yup guys,
    the car sure does feel relieved and running more freely.
    The restriction that the clogged air filter was causing was enormous.
    now, even with the stock air filter in place of the k&n, the car seems lightfooted and raring to go just at the tap of the accelerator.
    i suppose, with the summers n monsoons, i'll have to bring down the air filter cleaning period to around 7500 kilometers or so. with a lot of activity going on on the highway as they are being six laned, all the dust and dirt finally take its toll on the air filter.
    drive safe guys, always wear a seatbelt.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

i clean my air filter(stock one in P-90hp) every 1000km... and it shows the difference.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2

Do we need to take the car for the TASS to clean the airfilter, My car has run 4900 kms since Jan 2010. I had done with the 1 year service and they have changed the filter it seems. :car
  10. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    hey guys,
    so the car is 69000 kilometers old as of yesterday.
    had taken the car in for the free service n checkup camp a couple of days ago. had a few issues that needed to be checked out asap. the front left suspension was making a lot of rattling and the car swayed a bit during high speed jaunts. fearing worn bushes n leaked shock absorbers, i asked the service advisor (old faithful bawaji) to check out the car.
    a short drive later he was back saying that the mounting pads (stuff that actually lets the shock absorbers rotate from the top) had gone kaput and would need replacement. no damage done, because they would be covered under warranty. the price was a bit too steep at 2600 bucks odd a piece.
    During the replacement, one more thing that was noticed was that the brake pads had only about 500 kilometers left on them and the brake disc rotors were also scoured out and needed replacement.
    not wanting to compromise on the brakes, i told the guys to go ahead and get the parts and change them. bad news, the brake pads were out of stock and changing rotors without pads would be foolishness. so its been postponed to saturday when the parts would be available. the rotor set is 3000 bucks odd and the brake pads cost around2500 bucks.
    Tragedy struck yesterday afternoon.
    Dad was driving back home, when a state transport bus rammed into the car from the right side at the back. before dad could stop the car and check the damage, the bus guy had vanished.
    Dad got home and we checked out the car. The rear door has been dented and so has the rear body panel right on the wheel arch. called up the trustworthy shabbir and i have an appointment for saturday when atleast all the denting work would be done. Most of the scars would come off after a polish job but the rear body panel may need painting.
    Will be putting up the car for touch up work in any case by the end of next week.
    Till then i am riding the bullet to work.
    Will be putting up the pics for your viewing pleasure later in the day.
    Take care all you guys out there. Always wear a seatbelt.
    And tony, you dont need to take the car to TASS to clean the filter.
    @ Jayadev, how old is your car? You'll do this for some days then you'll leave it to the mechanics to clean up. Enjoy it while you can. Even otherwise, cleaning a filter every 1000 kilometers is not gonna make ay difference. Its just in your head.
    I'm out of here.