1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Re: Peted, K&Ned, 22K Kilometers, 4 Months

Mandeep,

Can you pls tell us how to clean the K & N filter periodically. I too found a lot of soot and tried to take it out by tapping it on the surface.

Abdul
  2. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

will try to get the details from the service guys!!! looks like a batch of faulty pumps like sdp saar rightly points out!!!
  3. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

i havent driven a 90 hp yet but by the way these guys were all gaga over this peted punto, i suppose it means that its got more pep than the 90 hp...:D
    about the temperature gauge showing a warning, you have to actually look at the gauge to see that its shooting up...but who has the bloody time :D
    the cars almost done 40k....still delivers sparkling performance :D
  4. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

hi abdul,
    cleaning a k&n and recharging is a relatively easy job and it is 100 percent diy.
    all you need to have is the k&n recharge kit which has the solvent spray to dissolve the dirt and the recharging oil.
    you also need to have a replacement filter for your car (stock will do) since this cleaning usually takes upto a day for the entire process.
    once the filter is out of the car, you need to gently tap it and remove all the loose dirt from it.
    using a soft brush, dislodge the oil, dirt and grit and all other debris that might be hard to remove by tapping.
    spray the cleaning solvent liberally onto the filter from the clean side (the part which stays on the top) and then from the dirty side.
    let it stand for about 15 minutes, so that the solvent seeps into the filter and saturates it nice and all around
    now comes the washing part.
    be careful to avoid high pressure water the likes of which are found at vehicle service centers.
    since this is cotton fibres enmeshed between stainless steel wire mesh, a sudden jet of water or high pressure air will dislodge it from its place and create big air gaps which will pull in more dirt than air and the purpose of the filter will be defeated.
    use tap water which is considered to be low pressure water to clean the filter.
    i prefer hot water as it dislodges more dirt and cleans the filter in a better way.
    make sure that you pour the water from the clean side only and not from the other side.
    once the water starts, you'll see what volume of air is pulled through these filters and in that volume of air, what is the amount of dirt that is prevented from going into the engine.
    that is the time, one starts appreciating the oiled air intake filters.
    loads of grime will be coming out of your filter and make sure that you clean it thoroughly.
    once you are certain that it is clean, just put it up to light to ensure that the sunlight passes through all the folded pleats of the filter in a uniform manner.
    shake the filter off any excess water and put it down to dry in an airy place but making sure that it is not exposed directly to sunlight.
    it usually take 6 to 8 hours to dry the filter, but i prefer to keep it overnight and let it dry thoroughly.
    once its thoroughly dry, the filter will appear to be a bit on the light pinkish tint in color.
    again check the filter against light, just to make sure that its been cleaned out thoroughly.
    if it feels like it still needs cleaning, follow the spray, wait and wash procedure again and let the filter dry out completely before oiling it.
    once its been ascertained that the filter is clean of all dust, grit, oil, sludge and everything else, it is time to oil it.
    like i said earlier, the recharge kit contains the filter cleaning agent and the recharging oil, and since the job of the filter cleaning agent is over, take the bottle of oil.
    you will notice that it has a gauge on one side of it showing how much oil has been dispensed and how much is still there in the bottle.
    the filter requires a certain amount of oil but when you check the recharge kit instructions, they point you to the air filter cover to find out the exact correct quantity of oil to be used on your specific filter.
    the filter box on the other hand has no such quantities given on it.
    in that case, it is safe to follow your instincts.
    the bottle that contains the recharge lube has a wicking point on it which dispenses oil onto the filter in a very measured sort of way.
    just open the dispenser of the bottle and invert it over the filter pleats making a single pass over each pleat from the clean side up.
    i'm repeating clean side up because, that is the side that is going to stay exposed to the incoming air and will be the cleanest part of the filter.
    also since the air will be passing through this and due to the theory of gravity, most of the oil will have settled on the bottom most part of the pleats where, due to its being the lowest part of the filter, the maximum amount of dirt will be trapped.
    once one session of this single pass of recharge lube over each and every pleat of the filter is completed, leave the filter clean side up for about 30 minutes, to allow the oil due to its natural wicking action to be absorbed by the filter.
    pick up the filter and check it against light to make sure that all the pleats of the filter and the entire filter for that matter appears to be red in colour and there are no pink blotches or spots left in between that indicate poor recharge.
    if spots like this are seen, repeat the dispensing procedure to those specific areas only and make sure that the filter appears dark red in color and in a uniform manner.
    after that has been done, again pick up the filter to light and make sure that light passes through the filter pleats and that too in a uniform pattern.
    your filter is now ready to be put to use again.
    remove the replacement filter, clean the filter housing thoroughly making sure that no dust or leaves or dead insects are left lying around there and put the filter back into the housing.
    screw the cover back on making sure that all the screws are tightened only to the extent where on applying normal pressure the screws stop turning.
    make sure that the lid is straight and air tight and there is no warping or gaps visible. the lid has a very bad habit of warping due to the high engine compartment temperature and taking up wierd shapes.
    if something like this is visible or suspected, make sure you have a heat shrinking glow gun handy or you know someone who has that with which you can slightly heat the edges of the lid and get it back to its original shape.
    remember, i had this trouble once and the car was gasping as the air was going in through all the wrong places.
    after the filter has been fit, start your car and let it idle for a few minutes. try to compare the note of your car with stock filter and with the k&n back into the hood.
    drive your car to compare the performance and you'll have a smile on your face.
    the filter box recommends cleaning and charging at every 50000 kilometers. we live in a dusty environment with very unpredictable weather patterns.
    the guys who sell these filters recommend cleaning every 20000 kilometers. they forget that this car does not have a resonator box wherein the air which is induced at very high velocities comes in, settles down due to the volume of the resonator box and discards a lot of dirt and dust there itself due to the drop in velocity.
    due to this, the filter clogs up earlier and as such i personally recommend cleaning it up every 10000 kilometers.
    its not a tough exercise for me and i trust that it wont be a tough exercise for any of us.
    we bought this car after all didnt we?
    i hope this is clear enough instructions for all to follow.
    still one may have his apprehensions and i'll gladly help out with all i can as i can.
    till then, keep those filters clean and always wear a seat belt.
    oh and yeah...the recharge kit is available for about 950 bucks to a 1000 bucks off the shelf at any k&n dealer or at methods automotive who are the distributors of k&ns around india.
    drive safe guys...
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Mandeep,

I wanted to call you to get the info,but now I realise that it was better I asked you to write . So much info you have given. I am sure this write up will be a reference for many of us who use K & N
    Thanks a lot mandeep. Excellent. ::D As you said the filters clog up much faster than the recomended. Mine did it in 7000 kms. Then just imagine the havoc the stock filters must be clogging up.

Abdul
  6. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

abdul bhai,
    glad to be of help! :D
  7. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

watch this space for something exciting!!!
    will update tomorrow evening!
    drive safe guys, always wear a seat belt!!
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Your posts are always exciting to read, sure next will be more exciting.
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Looks like something big Mr. Mandeep. :mrgreen:
    I guess definitely some performance mod. As if the T-Jet teaser wasn't enough from Fiat, there is a new space to watch out for. :lol:
    Kindly update us soon tomorrow. ::T
  10. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

remussed guys!!!!
    and loving it!!!