1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peted, K&Ned, 1,76,000 Kilometers completed

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by epicenter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
    Re: Peted, K&Ned, 22K Kilometers, 4 Months

not like that saar,
    peteing a car does not mean that it will eat away its brakes at a faster rate. there are two factors working. one is the abs and one is the weight of the car.
    i'll be getting my brake pads cleaned tomorrow or so and that will be the time to decide whether they'll actually need replacement at 45k or not. if they do, i'll opt for the tarox pads i suppose.
    saw a horrible vento accident yesterday. guess its the first totalled vento in india. unfortunately it was a td car and the vw surat showroom guys were driving it. both of them died on the spot. details on tbhp
    drive safe.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Mandeep,

Hi, Can you please give the link to the page on teambhp about the VW vento accident ?

Abdul
  3. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India
  4. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

hey guys
    second blow...
    while going home from factory yesterday, was following a truck.
    a stone (a small rock sort of) stuck in the rear tires of the truck flew right into the windshield of the car and before anything could be done about it, a crack had appeared on the left hand side of the windshield.
    didnt make any sense to stop the truck guy and argue with him as he wasnt doing it deliberately. so decided to head home. on close inspection, it looks like it can be repaired by the Windshield Experts but i am keeping my fingers crossed for it.
    have observed the glass closely today and it seems that the crack will hold. but lets see how it works out.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

I had my 2nd such experience of a flying stone on W.E. Highway in Mumbai yday. On both occasions, a flaying stone banged with the front windshield so much so that I was dumbfounded for a moment. But fortunately nothing happened. This also happened in my earlier car Ford Ikon & I was left having a crack in the windshield & had to replace it.
  6. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

hey guys

the car crossed 39k today. nothing major has happened to the car as yet except for the glass breaking some days back. a couple of dings and scratches on the front bumper trying to wrestle with the traffic and a slight rattle from the front right wheel. looks like a ball joint is dead but will have to check it out thoroughly when i take it to the service center day after tomorrow.

the tires have also crossed the 10000 mark and are due for rotation and balancing. the alignment has been perfect and except for the slight veer to the left due to the road camber once in a while, its going great guns.

will also be going for the remus exhaust (universal bolt on) within the next week or so.

opened up the k&n a couple of days back since it also had around 10k on the clock since it was cleaned and found it quite dirty. a bit of overoiling on my part the last time i'd cleaned and washed it and the rest of it was the doing of the wet weather. with this car having no resonator box and pulling air directly through the intake pipe to the air filter, it accounts for the amount of dirt in the filter.

the mileage has been a consistent 18 to 19 kmpl since the last update which was around at 28k or so and i have no reason to complain on that part.

now if only i could get a better turbo charger setup and wangle a better (swift) gearbox in that shebang...just thinking aloud.

drive safe guys...have a lot of fun doing it too!!

and dont forget the seat belt.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Mandeep.

I liked your observation of the gear box from swift. Wont it be an interesting swap ? What if the Punto is 100 kg heavier. Assume the swift is moving with 3 people and it would be 180 kgs heavier and it is still quick off the block.

Total load of passengers in the swift could be avg 60 kgs x 5 people = 300 kgs. In the punto it will be the same but gross is 100 kg more. If we calculate for a young family the avg will be 60 kgs x 2 adults + 30 kgs x 2 kids = 120 + 60 = total 180 kgs. so that accomodates for the additional weight Punto has.

Now if you swap the gear box of the swift into the Punto, wont it work well giving the FE and the pulling power ?. If the swift has been withstanding the rigours of Peting and has nt failed , I have this feeling that it could be a straight fit as the architecture of the engine and gearbox are quite similar. FIAT cannot ask suzuki for the gearbox and hence may be they are doing with what they have. There could be errors on the speedo due to tyre size and ratios, but I guess the Punto could get quite peppy.
    Guys , your thoughts please. It could be fun to discuss.

Abdul
  8. epicenter

epicenter Amatore

Valsad, India

hi guys
    had a chance to visit the tata workshop day before yesterday to get the noise from the front right wheel well checked.
    the guys were again all gaga over the car wondering how it could pull better and smoother than a 90hp and couldnt find anything suspicious under the hood exept for a new type of air filter and promised me to recommend it to anyone and everyone who'd listen.
    jokes apart, the test drive did reveal the noise and as suspected by yours truly, even the service advisor almost confirmed my fears that the ball joint may have failed and in the worst case, there'd be something wrong with either the strut assembly or the entire rack.
    not to worry, he said, all the above mentioned parts were available off the shelf and it was just a matter of few minutes while the car was raised up on the two post lift and the underpinnings checked to confirm how brilliantly mechanically inclined both of us were.
    the lift turned our theory of broken ball joints, failed struts and malfunctioning racks a complete 360 degrees and threw them out of the garage door.
    the real culprit was actually the bash plate below the engine which had worked itself loose due to some whim and fancy only known to the bash plate and the fasteners holding it in place. to make matters worst, a small stone, the size of a child's fist had somehow managed to wedge itself between the right suspension links.
    every time the car went over the rough surface, the stone vibrated along the suspension parts, the bash plate added its own frequencies to the symphony and the music vibrated through the structure bone into the interiors of the car.
    it took not more than 3 minutes to tighten everything, remove the stone, check out all other nuts and bolts and bring the car down from the two post lift and finish everything off with a smiling service advisor waving the key under my nose like a magic wand that was supposed to turn me into something subatomic.
    a cup of tea as a parting drink on the dealers part and i was off on the road, to return home listening to "riders on the storm"
    a morning well spent.
    one more thing thats come to attention while i was at the dealer is that there are around 5 linea diesels and one linea petrol lying at the workshop with failed engines.
    the petrol guy took the car into a water logged street and when the car stalled, tried to start it again and again. the engine suffered from a hydraulic lock and one of the connecting rods broke into 4 parts, one into two and two of them were bent beyond recognition.
    from what i could gather, the insurance company refused to reimburse the owner siting abuse and he is getting it done with his own money which at the end of the day will make him poorer by atleast 2.15 lacs.
    the diesels all had failed oil pumps and one had a failed waterpump. all these cars are within 5000 kilometers of use and all are getting new engines (full replacements) under warranty.
    just for your information guys.
    all of you out there, drive safe and always wear a seatbelt.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Any idea how all these issues happened to those cars?
  10. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore

Shocking to hear that the oil/water pumps failed. Must be a case of faulty pumps that came in a batch.

Did all the engines go kaput/seized ? The temp gauge should've normally showed overheat and shutting down would not have required a full engine replacement.

Good to hear that your problem got fixed.

EDIT : Are you saying that a Pete'd Punto has got more pep that the 90 HP one ? :mrgreen: