1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Performance of Punto MJD versus others

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by vikastwister, Sep 11, 2010.

1. murali427

murali427

I drove 160 KMPH in Outer ring road hyderabad with full control.

I drove 160 KMPH in Outer ring road hyderabad with full control just like the same way i drive in city in 80kmph.
    in just 20 days i drove 4000 kms including highways and villages on my 1.3 MJD punto. The ride and stability is awesome.Swifts and Dezires are initially over took my car but when i reached 120 kmph + they are behind my car. punto is a highway vehicle. Dont compare with Figo which is of very weak body. I am getting 19 kmpl with a mix of city and highway drives. When you talk about Stability Punto is on high side and the others like swift,dezire,figo are far behind. You can take the test drive vehicle from Tejaswini motors hyderabad and drive on ORR with a speed of 150+ KMPH then you will understand the stability of Punto.
  2. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Amen to that! In fact, I've heard that from the 3rd gear, Punto 90 beats the boat Verna!
    My dad :twisted: has drag raced with both the new 1.6 Verna and old boat 1.5. Both the Hyundais put up a good show, but the former was left behind, and the latter chickened out! :rage
    The Punto 90, even at 150 feels like it is willing to be pushed further! Someone told me I could try 190-200 on and open stretch!

We used to do the same on our i10 1.2 - cruise at 140-150. After buying a Fiat, we call what we used to do - SUICIDE.
    Yes, that's SPOT ON. rpm band is the key. People end up criticizing FIATs because they don't know how a FIAT oughta be driven!

I see the 1st few opening posts are related to Figo vs. GP 76. My comments w.r.t my Fiesta, which has the same 68PS engine.
    1)Uphill: (Nandi hills) Punto 76 Emo vs. Fiesta - Fiesta BRAYS like a donkey and seems to run out of breath sometimes. The Punto, which many lost souls call sluggish was super silent, and kept going uphill without any sluggishness what so ever.
    2)City: The Fiesta Diesel is easier to drive fast(er) for a novice - no turbo lag, pulls nicely until 2.5k rpm. If you know how to drive a Fiat, piece of cake.
    3)Highways: Fiesta is good until 100-110, after which it seems unwilling to go past 120. Needs to be pushed. Punto 76 on the other hand can cruise effortlessly past 100-110.
    2 people like this.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I see Punto 90 hp is most sluggish among the lot. Initial pickup is least here feels like pulling a barge ,compared to i20,swift. swift is short of 15 horses here still it can beat punto 90 h in 0-100 kmph race.

Drivebility is just mediocre. I think punto 90hp is more irksome than linea itself, with same brand and same engine.

Most of the time it is pain to keep changing gears where punto75hp is much better which feels more torque'y in low revs. but none of them comes near Swift or Indica vista. I think i20 is also troublesome due to terrible turbolag.

You cannot go past 164kmph mark with those 90horses.Where as verna can go above 190kmph .

This is where Punto 90hp excels, in rev band there is no other car which can give better fun. Pliant drive and ever pulling torque. It is so good for long enthusiastic drives.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please refrain from such baseless comparisons. :)
  5. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Perfectly said by Amogh. Here Bhp/Ton which is used to pull the Car from standstill to moving condition. Here Punto's Bhp (75 Bhp) & Higher unladen weight (1190 Kg) is the factor.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

No This is not correct that Punto's top speed is 150, its near about 170 to175 (precisely 173). 90 Hp top speed is 195 kmph as per my knowledge.

I was driving my punto 120-130 easily in highway ( this is not recomended as travelers safety is more important than speed). I have touched 140 kmph on Rajhamundri-Vizag section ( NH5). My driver was with me, he touched 160 easily on Bhubaneswar-Baleswar stretch and he wanted to pull till 180. So I was really conscious then and warned him every time to slow down below 150 when he was touching 160+ every time. Our Journey was :- Hyderabad to Midnapore town-1521 Km. First day we drove almost 16 hrs ( 18hrs including break). Started 4 A.M from Hyderabad and reached Bhubaneswar (1200 Km) at 10:00 P.M. I drove 7 hrs and he drove 9 hrs till BBSR. I was doing 120-130 (touched 140 for 5 minutes once). My driver drove constantly 145-150 in his turn ( he touched 160 couple of times for 2 to 3 minutes but not able to exceed due to my warnings). Total fuel consumed 100 lts diesel :- avg 15.21. I was ok with it because we drove constantly with that speed.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Sincear request to you, don't drive bike with that speed. your life is precious than high speed enjoyment.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Sincear request to you, don't drive bike with that speed. your life is precious than high speed enjoyment. Mod pls delete my same comment witout quote.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    can't agree anymore, the verna is definitely a rocket on straight roads. I think we should accept that none of fiat cars except the jet is good in straight drag and move on. Seriously I don't get this my car will dust him, these kind of statements don't necessarily increase the quality of our forum. So let's concentrate on what our cars are and move on.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I too agree that Punto 90HP is not capable to defeat Verna 1.6 Diesel on straight road. I tried to defeat a white color Verna 1.6 CRDi on Satara Pune but road but on straight road he was zooooming like a rocket. We raced near Khambataki Tunnel on Satara Pune in tunnel he overtook me but after that tunnel there is big right turn, on this turn I defeated him and after that he overtook me and then vanished.

On same road I defeated i20 CRDi. :p

I accept that Punto 90HP cant defeat any 1.6 Diesel Engine in Indian Auto Industry.

However let me clear one thing.

Punto 90HP can beat any other car in its segments like i20 CRDi, Swift, Polo, Fabia, Micra, Pulse on highway.

Let 1.6 Multijet come then I will show JALWA :lol
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Arkin, We have to agree to the fact that FIAT is sluggish in the initial gears. I own a Punto 90 HP and have driven FIGO extensively and recently rode a swift. Need to accept that they are better in the drag race. Also, I am sure that we will not be able to push punto to 190 - 200. Punto does not revv until the red line. It has got a nice power band but it does not revv until the red line. It is good to love our cars but it is not so good to bash others. Is there a special way to drive punto? Every car is good in their own respect. Let us understand that.
  9. If we talk about the best diesel available then it has to be Vento/Rapid 1.6 TDI then Verna 1.6 CRDi and then propbably comes the Fiat MJD 1.3. We need to wait till the monster 1.6 mjd debut in India. But i am sure it will take another 10-15 years for Fiat India to take this decision. LOL
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    FIAT 1.6 MultiJet

Displacement/CC 1598
    Power (PS@rpm) 120@3750
    Torque (Nm@rpm) 320@1750

Hyundai 1.6 CRDi

Displacement/CC 1582
    Power (PS@rpm) 128@4000
    Torque (Nm@rpm) 260@1900

VW/Skoda 1.6 TDi
    Displacement/CC 1598
    Power (PS@rpm) 105@4400
    Torque (Nm@rpm) 250@1500

Guys now tell me who will be the winner on papers as well as on roads. :devil
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011