1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Performance of Punto MJD versus others

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by vikastwister, Sep 11, 2010.

1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    Re: Re: Performance of Punto MJD versus others

I have done 190kph on my linea 1.4. But remember the actual speed is lesser than shown on speedo (maybe 183kph). 170 for punto is no big deal (on the speedo i.e.)

Important thing to note is that more than the car, its the tyres that have speed ratings. For eg. An H means max speed of 190kph. A "V" means 240kph etc.

Tjet claims only 186kph , again maybe to do with what the stock tyres can take.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  2. Mine is a 90hp.
    I managed to hit 170+ many times even with 5 members in the car.
    Touched 180 alone but took time till the end of world.
    The speedo may have an error of upto 5-7%.
    So real world figures may turn out to be 165 true speed in the worst case.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Didn't you notice that when there is bad fuel,these Ritz/Swift,i-20 & FIGO emits a knocking sound like a Tractor ? ::V Knocking may nighmare for life of engine.
    Heavy engine knock can make hole to piston head also. :devil

In DDiS you have to do long....... wait to get turbo boost. Even 90 HP has more turbo lag than 75 HP.

In 75 BHP GP , you will get torque as soon as you press the throttle. :dancing

I mean in FGT GP, turbo boost starts to rise from 1500 RPM. So in 75 BHP version,though your needle is below 1500 RPM,you get better pulling power due to short gear ratio of Grande Punto.
    So in city traffic 75 BHP GP is breez to drive. :wow
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

bhai... kya bhai... kuch bhi bol rahe ho. a variable geom turbo has more lag than fixed geo turbo. man you have reversed the engineering fundamentals, lol
  5. royj

royj Esperto

I have compared the speedometer reading with GPS on my Punto and find that there is a clear 10% error on the speedo. While the speedo shows 70, the GPS shows 63-64. I have set the speed limit at 100 and when the beep sounds, the GPS shows 90. Mine is an emotion model with 175/70 R14 tyres, so the error could be more than in other models. ::pP
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Italia-Linea

Yes I know VGT gives more torque & power than FGT.

FGT 197 NM @ 1750 RPM
    VGT 209 NM @ 2000 RPM.

If Iam not a wrong VGT may also create same torque same as FGT @1750 RPM.

I mean in VGT GP & Linea torque may be 197 NM.@ 1750 RPM

In 5th gear @2000 RPM GP runs at the speed of 80 KM. & max.torque of VGT is @2000RPM.

Means VGT is helpful only after speed of 80 KM. VGT is for highway Racing Purpose. :redcar

There is not so much differance in drivability of both car In city driving.

In city traffic FGT & VGT will act same. + VGT has linear power delivery.
    That's why I mentioned that a variable geom turbo has more lag than fixed geo turbo.

I agree that, VGT is more rev happy. But what about torque figures.

It is not important that how much torque you are getting. It is important that at which RPM peak torque you are getting.

It could have more successfull if VGT could give 209 NM @ 1750 RPM. But it is giving 209 NM @ 2000 RPM

I hope you are getting what I mean. I took TD of both brand new GP.
    I found 75 BHP is more responsive in city traffic. :eek: Even Indigo Manza feels dull because of VGT.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
  7. Italia-Linea

you are conceptually wrong here and you are targetting the paper figures @ 1750 rpm and @ 2000 rpms.
    when a VGT spools it starts giving power right from @ 1200 rpm. you are not considering these figures.
    VGT helps to push the car quickly out of the inertia. considering this factor VGT performs way better and FGT.

5th gear @ 80 kms is a wrong way to judge. in every gear while accelerating VGT gives better pick up and linear power delivery and the torque starts building up right from the low revvs.

also dont forget due to VGT the same engine churns out 90bhp.

in city there is a vast difference in the way a VGT and FGT drives. when you press your foot on the pedal as soon as rpm hits around 1200 the torque and hp start building up rapidly and you hardly feel any lag. in FGT the acceleration is weak untill the turbo starts spooling at around 1700rpm.

so VGT has almost no lag where as a FGT has a fair amount of lag.

even if the engine gives out 209nm torque @ 2000 rpm on VGT the rpms are reached quickly and the inertial load has already been overcome in a better way and FGT. the torque given by FGT @ 1750 rpm is used to push the car which i would call as inertia losses.

again i say you are forgetting the amount of torque VGT generated right from 1200rpm VS the low torque that FGT generates at same RPM.

by a obvious thumb rule 90hp VGT will always be more responsive than a 75hp FGT.
    this is basic engineering principle.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Agree with all. Then why I noticed the low response.?

Some people are says that VGT GP is slower than Linea .
  9. Italia-Linea

after driving linea whenever i drive FGT punto i feel a lot of lag. i have to press the accl more.
  10. The Difference to be exact between the 175/70 R14 & 195/60 R15 is 2.4%.
    Which means at 100kmph in 175/70 R14, the 195/60 R15 will show 102.4kmph.
    Secondly the GPS is always slower than the actual Speed - Primary reason it calculates the relative change in displacement of the GPS device.
    It does not calculate the change in Distance.
    Hope this explains the 5-7% rather than the 9-10% you notice in the GPS.

The VGT is always way more responsive than the FGT.
    In FGT you get power only after certain RPM till then you don't have the Turbo in Work ( which is also called Turbo Lag as the turbo is busy in spooling).
    In VGT the moment the engine spins the turbo starts sending in air - almost like a super charger.