1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Performance of Punto MJD versus others

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by vikastwister, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Do you drive a 6-gear or a 5-gear i20? The day before we decided on Punto 90, we TDed the i20 CRDi 5 gear - 1st 2 gears were wayyy better than the Punto, but me dad felt the performance of the 4th & 5th gears of the P90, esp. the 5th gear to be much better than the i20's. I had told him that people say the i20 6-speed is a better performer, but he said the Grande Punto from the 3rd gear (we drive mostly on highways) feels a better performer than the i20 5 speed. In fact, the Hyundai SA told us to try driving in the 5th at 30km/h and it actually cruises at 30 in the 5th gear! Apparently, the guys at Hyundai have retained the same gear ratios in spite of plucking off the 5th gear! In fact, because of this, the race from 40-100 in the case of the i20 felt slower than in the Punto's case - shocked me (after hearing so many good reviews about the i20's performance, that it can leave a GP90 in the dust blah blah), but my dad was firm about the Punto's performance, saying the latter is better than the i20 5spd on the highway.

Yes, Punto is too great a city car - though my dad finds it decent enough. But yes, our Fiesta is more easy to drive and zippy in the city.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Every car is unique and demands to be driven in its own unique way to bring out the best in them. I myself drive three cars alternately , with varied engine characteristics. The Palio D demands to be driven in a manner completely opposite to that of the Linea D. We have a Ford with a 2400cc Toyota turbo diesel transplant and it's at its best when driven with a combination of driving characteristics of the Palio D and the Linea D.

So, multiple ownership is not a handicap. We should know which car demands what. There is no one size fits all formula. There can never be.

Because after that, you'll be entering the world of professional drag racing. And less than 7 second quarter miles.;) A Supra with ~800hp+ at the wheels has put down low 8 second quarter mile times. And THAT is fast.
    1 person likes this.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    3 months continuesly I am on different SUV's and pick up trucks like dakota V6 and ford Ranger sometimes Mitsu-pajero and toyo-prado too.

Out of them Ford ranger(limited edition) is bliss to drive with its extra ordinary pickup and heavenly perfect suspensions. I keep enjoying untill i return home where i Drive little punto.

The scenario is like poles being shifted.

Here with punto90hp, I feel I am driving technically near perfect suitable for all purpose car. which is luxurious too(sure, I mean itIt is so silent and bit of lounge like when compared to other suv's I drive.)

For day to day life those initial short gears are blessings ,you do not need to make your engines cry frequently. and 5th gear is so very much perfect that you have power in your command even at 3 digits speed.
    But hold on, What are we losing here?
    We don't have those crude and uncontrolled power delivery just for "wow" feel which means our engines and clutch will last longer.
    Not a performance but a economy vehicle so made for sedate driving.yes one like me who prefer driving 70-80 max can never be able to complain. as it is so responsive and lively machine.
    Benefit:I have never seen such a good engineering piece for given price.
    3 people like this.
  4. I Drive Punto 90 HP, Swift D and Santro. I almost feel like I have Unlearnt driving when I drive my wife's santro.
    When it comes to Swift & Punto, Swift feels faster anyday but though punto moves fast I dont feel it until I look at the speedo. Even at 70 KMPH the punto feels sluggish but swift feels like 90. Punto will never make the driver feel dragging.
    I havent driven a i20 nor Did any drag, but on the highways i20 though has the potential going more than 120 has lost to my 90 HP in many occassions. On a highway trip, though i20s overtook me, I would be able to catch that up at speeds more than 120 and after that I could only see the i20 on the RVM saying WTF. And also the i20s struggle when changing lanes to cut through the lorrys and heavy vehicles. Thats another situation a i20 can be smoked. A guy was too fast and I could only go along with him but no overtake. Whenever there is a curve or a situation to overtake a heavy vehicle, the i20 slows down drastically. The same happened with a new Ford Fiesta. I was at ~120 the NFF was going lil ahead. When we both encountered a curve, i dont know what he thought but all of a sudden gave up and he had to slow down to 80/90 to take the curve. I just took my foot from the pedal, speedo was 110, my punto beautifully took the curve and I didnt see him even on the mirror aftersome time.

I havent felt my car is sluggish except for when slowing down from 50 - 20/10 all of a sudden and then my punto struggles to pull from 20 in 2nd gear. This happens at speed breakers too. And also whenever I have an extra passenger, I could sense the drop in perf. Just with one passenger the difference is evident.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    When this happens you need to be in 1st gear and then shift to 2nd quickly..
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    So very true.
    Unfortunately nothing helps (sudden changes to 1st gear can kill the clutch/related) .
    It is mechanical, one has to bear it.(for a noble cause)
    1 person likes this.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    It does help!! and i m not talking about sudden changes. sometimes while going over a speedbreaker we need to be in first gear because of the slow traffic ahead of us. At such places if you are in second then you are bound to feel the sluggishness..
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    As we all know 1st is too short/ torquey ,you end up slowing down to single digit speeds or sudden jerks. so better be patient until rev up.
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Or get 17"/18" low profile rubber, coz then you'll have to slow down further as a precaution to avoid damage to the rims and thereby the only option is first gear, so the lag issue is reduced quite a lot. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Wow this is interesting discussion going on :)

I accept that Punto, Linea are sluggish.