1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Performance of Punto MJD versus others

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by vikastwister, Sep 11, 2010.

1. vikastwister

vikastwister Novizio

Noida
    I own 75 BHP MJD Punto and has clocked 12000+ KMS in 6 Months. I love the car due its performance and tank like build. I have seen lot of posts and comments having negatives about punto, like it is under powered as compared to Swift and others. But I have experienced on RED Lights, the only other car which can give a performance look is Punto only. When I press the accelerator, every other you can see in your rear view mirror only. I do not feel it is under powered at all, the only thing is it has long through in Accelerator paddle.
    I have read many test drive reviews, which talk bull shit. They might have driven Maruti 800 only, so just press very little accelerator and get the speed.
    I have driven my punto at 170+ KM/per with confidence. No other car, not even swift has that much confidence. I have came across two serious accidents with my Punto, and both time I was completely safe, not even a single scratch on me. I feel it is the safest car in our country.
    I really laugh when people compare its performance with Ford FIGO, which is pathetic as far as the performance is concern but yes interiors are good.
    I am getting 24 KM/L mileage with AC ON on highways with my punto. So mileage is not an issue.
    As far as the servicing is concerned, TATA is giving satisfactory service to Punto.
    I want to know from others Punto owners, what they feel about the performance of Punto
  2. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Don't worry buddy. Yes, people abuse Fiat and its car for anything but it doesn’t mean that products are not good. These are those guys who doesn’t own Fiat. Fiat's cars demands some driving sense, that’s for sure.

I never listened that Swift Dezire is under power or Ford Fiesta is underpowered. If I am not wrong then these are 75PS and 68 PS respectively.

One thing is true that , you can slap back / stop the person hits you but there is no way to stop those who talks in non sense manner.

So don’t listen these guys, you know the facts. Puntoing is the way for you. :redcar
    1 person likes this.
  3. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE
    Ha ha ha ::D great man, that is why we are all in TFI to talk about reality, not about the BS other fourms talk about FIAT.

Enjoy Puntoing. :redcar
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Vikas. Those who OWN it, have GROWN with it. That's why we are at TFI. Others may have THROWN it aside, calling it under powered and having crappy plastics but the reality is that Fiats have De-THROWNed many higher segment cars on the basis of the ride quality, equipment and comfort offered by them. A friend of mine owns ANHC enumerated some cons for Linea. He went to the dealership with me, had a demo of the car and Blue&Me and was full of praises(They were not false praises as I wasn't looking for Linea). His said that the many features that he likes in Audi A4 are present in Linea as well and that "I did not know Linea has so many features."

You can not comment just on the basis of a single test drive of 5-10Kms whether the car is good or not. Reality is that you may find that gear shifts are not that silky smooth but you adjust within a day or two.
    Importantly, we can adjust but we can not compromise and Fiat does not make us compromise on anything- safety, features, looks, FE etc.

A car is not everything about performance and power. How many of us have gone for racing with our cars really?
    3 people like this.
  5. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ?????

Subjective : depends on what other cars are and the mood of the guy behind the steering.An Alto K-10 can beat the Punto off the traffic signal

My recommendation : Don't do it : even if the car is stable at those speeds.

Punto maybe safe but do you really think you should be testing its limits ? Please drive safe. On both occasions, you might not be at fault, but two serious accidents does not make for an enjoyable read !!

Punto defintiely is NOT the safest car in the country. In hatchbacks, probably yes. But please let's not make sweeping statements.

Amogh
    1 person likes this.
  6. Punto is not the best performance diesel hatch out there, but Punto is definitely NOT very underpowered as the reviews say. It has enough punch for Indian roads. Get pete's box and it's even better.

Many guys who say Punto doesn't have power don't know how to drive a heavy diesel car like this. As the thread-starter mentioned, they press the gas pedal little and expect g-forces to take them on.

I'm afraid that's not really the case. Figo-D is peppier than a stock Punto. In fact, even more peppier than a Peted Punto, for a start from stand still. I've driven both (Peted Punto Vs, Figo) back to back on the same roads one day. But me thinks that peted Punto can beat it on the highway.

Car's like Swift-D have more peppy drive because of their lighter bodies, and in Figo's case, turbo lag is not really present.

I really don't get the point where reviews say Punto 90HP doesn't have power! They may be expecting the 0 to 1 like turbo kick that Swift/Ritz-D have.
  7. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    @Vikas..
    Good to see new members here. Welcome.

Amogh is right, pls cool ur high speed sojourns.

@amogh

I mostly agree with wht you said but Dost, see the emotions and the attachment behind what Vikas has written. this is what punto all about. Evokes emotions.

and I seriously would have doubts that ALTO k-10 would beat a Punto at red light.

I am also a subscriber to the idea that Punto is actually pretty fast on real road. It is bcoz of the confidence that it imparts which plays a far major role in actual real road push.
    1 person likes this.
  8. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It does !! Trust me on this. Try it and you will see for yourself. The Alto K10 has a power to weight ratio of 88 BHP/Ton
    1 person likes this.
  9. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    The MJD can't match Jap free revving petrol engines at 1st or 2nd gears. My M-800 used to take off like a bullet at the street lights.

It's in the 3rd gear that the real diesel torque comes to play ...
  10. vikastwister

vikastwister Novizio

Noida
    I have tried my Punto MJD with Alto K-10. And it was the K-10 guy who gave me some looks on the road, that see I have more Pick Up. From there on the road rage started. I caught that guy pretty soon and overtook him. Then from next RED Light actual racing started. And it was 10 O`Clock in the night. So No rush was there on the road. During First Gear run, Yes Alto K-10 was ahead, only because it has more range to cover in that. And I have to shift to second as soon as possible. But from there on K-10 engine was beaten hands down by my punto. After that he was seen always in my rear view window. And at 120 KMPH, I believe Alto was steamed out. I was expecting more from a 1000 CC engine of K-10.
    Actually "PICK UP" word is very subjective. It depends on what people consider, 0-20 KMPH range or 0-60 KMPH range or 0-100 KMPH range. Except first one, the performance of Punto is fantastic. I would say you can take performance out of your Punto, it depends how you drive it.

In my first post, I mentioned that "most cars I see in my rear view mirror" , yes It is true, it is not all cars. But yes I was considering the hatches including Ford FIGO (Diesel One). I tried once with HONDA ACCORD, but he was always ahead of me from initial pick up to Top speed.
    The best way you can compare the two cars is when same person drives both. I have tried FORD FIGO and even if admire Punto MJD more, I took test drive of FORD FIGO also before buying it. I tried my possible combinations of driving stile to take the performance out of FIGO. But I was not impressed at all. May be because the limit was already set by Punto.
    Now lets take a comparison with Swift VDI. During my Delhi to Dehradun trip. I got a chance to take on swift VDI. It was a frendly stuff no road rage. With this guy I met on some hotel. End of the day, no one of us was a clear winner. Because some times I was ahead, some time he was ahead. During our next stop. He even asked that whether I have peted my punto. I said no. That was the time his perception about Punto changed.