1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Performance filters are dangerous for the engine!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by drifter, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Here is the proof:

Air Filtration Test

Hmmm, where actually is the proof there in this test?

I can't find any proof there. So where is the proof?

Obviously it is in the imagination of the reader, which is what the intention was when creating the article.

Now my message to the morons:

Try switching on your brain (it is the grey stuff between your ears) and use it. I am patronising? Not really, I am just fed up with having to read a lot of speculative nonsense from some all knowing all mighty keyboard warriors, who pretend to know about things when they don't and scare monger about things they do not even understand.

In well over 10 crore of performance filters sold the speculation that performance filters, induction kits or air intake revisions have been the cause for engine damage has not been possible to prove true. Whether the filtration is better or worse does not make a difference. There is plenty of proof that engines have been running lakhs of kms with such filters ALL over the world in all the conditions with extreme dust as well and did not show any increased wear on engines.

Even car manufacturers use them (Fiat group is one company!).

If anyone wants to prove me wrong then bring up an article that proves something and not just a test that is subject of abuse.

Any forum is not in existence to spout propaganda rather than enlightening the members about facts. A fact is based on realities and definitively not on the opinion of any member.

Anyone who wants to 'sell' their opinion or speculation is in fact betraying their fellow members. And such people have no right to be part of any community.

Before you comment on any subject that isn't a matter of taste rather than on facts remember this. People are respected for their honesty and not for senseless boasting.
    2 people like this.
  2. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Peter,

I m just loving your AIR INTAKE fitted in my linea...I was looking at catching up with you and remember you everytime I get a smile on my face while driving and that happens quite often.

don't know or care about what who says.. Just love my car more with the AIR :)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  3. Peter,

There is already a thread pro's and cons of after market filters, where this issue has been discussed detail, why do we need a new thread?

-Sat
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The subject is very informative. But I checked again whether I am on the first page. If this is a response to some other thread please give a link. Especially the last few lines of post#1

@Mod: Since the subject is of interest to all please merge it with existing thread.
  5. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Because this threat is pointing the bull people churning out and continue to churn out despite any proof given!

And they come up with test that have no relevance to what they are trying to prove.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

The thread was started not to make another thread about filters rather than pointing out that a lot of the information used on the net is being abused and mis-interpreted.

This private air filtration test was done for 2 reasons. One was to see how much difference is there in terms sof flow between different filters.

Some people want to conclude what the performance losses or increases are from the results. Therefore they are using this is a foundation of their arguments. Unfortunately it is not possible to draw conclusions from this test as there is many more factors to consider and it is only of fairly limited use for the specific set-up in the test (which is the car being used in its test form). If it would be as easy as people would want to make out, I could have retired from my job as a designer of air intake revisions for along time.

The other part of the test was the dust retention. The car covered 800kms with each filter. This means that the car used in this time 30,00,000 to 35,00,000 liters of air. The contamination in the worst soiled filter pad was at worst 20 grams. I doubt it was as much as that. However, I give it 100 grams so that no one comes up with some more nonsense. The density of the contaminants is higher than water. Still, lets assume it is 100 milliliters. This would be at worst 0.000033 milliliters per liter of air or less than 0.0033ppm. Wow, this can do some harm!

And this is why I brought up the topic.

To add further when 10+ crore of these filters are being sold have not had a single successful claim even in an US court then where is the proof that these filter elements damage the MAF sensor. People even made claims in cars that had no MAFs.

Then claims are made that modern ECUs would not be able to cope with AIRs without re-mapping. What is the long term fuel trim then for?

Interestingly, these people try to lecture me, but unlike me have never re-mapped an ECU. The amount of bull as well as senseless speculation they come out with is incredible.

Further claims being made that AIRs do not deliver what they promise. What about chassis dynos all over the world certifying that my designs do deliver what they promise? They even delivered in Mumbai on the chassis dyno.

Do you get why this thread was created and should be there as a reminder of what people should look for?

And by the way, because I had enough of the bull is why I have withdrawn from quite a few of the forums.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Drifter. I missed the link provided by you and that created the confusion.
  7. sanjay_mugur

sanjay_mugur Timido

Bangalore
  8. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  9. sanjay_mugur

sanjay_mugur Timido

Bangalore
    cotton-guage filters are no-good, though foam filters are better, still my preference is paper filter....
    1 person likes this.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Well i have mixed opinion on this. I am very particular about maintaining my vehicles and people who know me vouch for it. Even after cleaning / replacing K$N filter multiple times

here is the result. And mind it, a stock airfilter never performs so terrible as the free flow ones even when damaged.
    P1040974.jpg
    P1040975.jpg
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.