1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Perceptions - Grande Punto & Zen Estilo

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Gopi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Re: Grande Punto vs Zen Estilo

:evilsmile
    No surprise to see estilo blown away by Punto. Even Swift can barely hold itself against a punto.
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai

Some reasons according to me for this attitude among Indians:

I feel the reason people feel a Maruti or a Hyundai are better because they are more peppy in the city. Whether it is due to gearing or lesser weight or better engine response at low rpm is debatable. I drove a i20 petrol inside a industrial area with broken roads and it felt peppy and ready to lunge. Fine I drive a diesel but I am sure it must feel peppy compared to a petrol Punto.

Due to our driving conditions, we rarely get to sample the high speed ability of a car during test drives.

Have you guys noticed how Indians drive? Most of the time, fast / overtaking lanes are occupied by swanky cars doing 30kmph because the driver is too lazy to downshift and get the engine into it's 'meaty' zone. Most of the times, we are lugging the engine's and then cribbing about lower fuel efficiency and less pick up! A lighter car will probably get up into it's peak rev range much faster then a heavier car making people feel that it's zippy and has far better pick up.

For 99% of people, build quality is a concept still alien. The thunk of a door means nothing to them. Neither does the high speed stability of the car.

For whatever reason a Fiat masks it's speed much better then a Maruti or Hyundai. I say this from my expereince with a Palio & a Punto against a SX4. Maybe that's another reason for people feeling that a Fiat is underpowered?
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    When I visited Australia last year at this time, I drove my daughter's VW Golf. At that time itself I decided that my next car will be of European breed, no more Japanese/Korean brands. I had owned Maruti Suzuki Omni/Versa for about 18 years. I did extensive research in Internet and finally decided in favour of Fiat Linea. After my return to India, I implemented my decision of selling my MS Versa and buying Fiat Linea in October 2009.
  4. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    he he, i think u shud let ur FIL drive the punto for a while.
    shake
  5. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

straight on target Amit... You are absolutely right buddy....Second you on this...
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I never owned a Maruti Suzuki or a Jap car. Never. My 1st car, though it was not European, it was a sibling of European, sort of. In terms of Ride/ Handling, maneuverability, Hydraulic Power steering etc. It was an American. Ford.
  7. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Trust me guys the built, road handling of an European car can never be beaten a Japanese/Korean manufacturer..
  8. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

I have mentioned it many a times and doing it again ;). People loves to follow blindly what others do. They strictly follows and enjoy "Bhed Chaal" philosophy. That's the case with Maruti. Most of the people doesnt even know that Swift and Tata uses the Fiat's diesel engine and they are not ready to beleive it at all.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    :uh - ... can never be beaten by a Japanese/Korean... is what you really intended to say.
  10. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

:evilsmile Nice catch royj. :evilsmile