1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Perceptions - Grande Punto & Zen Estilo

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Gopi, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Dear All, Just thought of sharing a funny story that happened to me. My brother in law has come down from the US for a 3 week vacation and I was supposed to go and pick him up from airport. The previous night my father in law called me and said not to worry and he will pick up his son. I told ok and forgot about it.

Last weekend we drove to Tiruvannamalai in two cars - my father in law's Zen Estilo and my Punto. I was happy to follow the Zen Estilo during the onward journey which my bil and fil took turns driving and was doing just about 70~80km/hour. Got an amazing fuel efficiency of 23km/lt with 100% AC on for the onward 200kms. During the return journey, my bil decided to join us in the Punto for the first time and he was blown out completely. He commented that he is feeling so safe inside the Punto and not to mention the smooth ride even over rough roads. He took the wheels once we reached Krishnagiri where we join the 4-laned NH7 and was all smiles till we reached Bangalore. He refused to let me drive the car after that. We discussed only about Punto for the balance 100km drive from Krishnagiri to Bangalore.

It was then my bil revealed that my fil had told during the airport pick up drive that I bought a "stupid car" and he didnot want his son to be stranded in the middle of the highway as FIAT cars are bound to get konked anytime and that is the reason why my fil drove himself to the airport. Now I understood why my fil called me a couple of times to take his Zen estilo for picking up his son. Moreover, my fil had commented during onward journey that he has to drive his estilo slowly at max 80km/hr because Punto cannot take higher speeds :uh . I let my bil test his speed skills in the NICE road in the last leg when he touched 150km/hr. He said he could not believe such good cars are sold in India as he was under the impression that all cars in India are only "Maruti" standard. He was also in all praise of the precise steering which he said even his "Jeep" cant match.

I am sad to see people donot change the mindset at all. My fil is not the only one out there. I see hundreds of posts in team bhp bashing FIAT without even owning one. I dont know when this image about FIAT came into existence considering that FIAT and Ambassador are the only cars that people in India knew until the early 1990s. Hopefully our group will encourage people to test drive a FIAT vehicle atleast and realize that the members of this group are not "FOOLS"
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Re: Grande Punto vs Zen Estilo

Let your fil drive your Punto for once and he will not not touch the estilo after that. Driving a FIAT is such a pleasure that when you site inside a FIAT you forget about the outside world and enjoy the response from steering and hear that sweet engine wrommmm......
    FIAT cars really have souls. After owning a FIAT I can't even think of owning a car other than a FIAT. The attention that it gets when it is on road is great. Even after more than 1 year of launch. People still stare at the car when it passes by them.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Funny, but sadly true with most of the buyer.
    Alto drivers will also tell the Punto is underpowered. :A

Most of these comments from no-fiat owners, who doesn't know what Fiat offers. :redcar
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Sad but a true typical story. It takes time to wipe off the bad perception/ image once created. Thats why I feel that Fiat must advertise in BOLD BIG letters its 15,000 km service interval & 2+2 years warranty saying why its not needed? as it does not brak down...Remember Hero Honda ad - Fill it, Shut it, Forget it... (though it was for FE) ?

It can even advertise spare parts prices comparison. And in fact, a simple cost of service @ 3000 kms, @ 15,000 kms & @ 30,000 kms comparing the cost of parts/ service with its competitors
  5. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune

Every FIAT has a soul and you feel as one unit whenever driving. You never feel detached from the car. This is my 2nd FIAT in a row now (Palio -> Punto) and Linea/Bravo would be my hat trick in few years down the line.
  6. obliex

obliex Amatore

Pune

Oh please don't compare Zen Estilo to Fiat Punto. Feels like a comparo between Payal Rohotgi and Madhuri Dixit .
  7. yougotmi

yougotmi Amatore

Gaya

Check out the classified section of cars. How many cars does one find of Fiat being sold of....check out for Maruti, Hyundai and so on.... They buy to sell.

People like us don't buy Fiat, we OWN them.
  8. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

Well the Estilo cant never be compared with our punto.. Well as stated above ask your FIL to drive your punto and then he'd know how the car drives... Well this is true for most Indians here.. They all feel Fiat as a brand driven by the Taxi guys in mumbai... Eeeks how can they ever feel such a thing with such a beautiful vehicle...
  9. Re: Grande Punto vs Zen Estilo

Well, seeing the subject of the post itself I knew that it was never meant to be a true comparison, it is just going to be a post revealing what is "general" people's perception. Kudos to Gopi, to share his experience and add one more to our thoughts.
    Otherwise where is Estilo, and where is Punto... !!

But, We also have to consciously admit that there are people who doesn't quite admire Punto.. just starting from the steering wheel, as for them it is the more feather-ish the more better it is...till how less peppy it is. Woila- It is just the smoke before the fire, it is just that she is dying to burst out in highway with all her capabilities...and no-nonsense attitude.
    I personally know a person who got a Palio back few years back, and latr sold it off the very next day to get a zen-automatic. So, it is just personal choice. But given a person tastes FIAT's long time values, by owning/driving/enjoying it for some time, get to introspect and appreciate its core strengths and negligible weaknesses, one will never part with his Fiat. That is WRITTEN !

iTs time to wake up people. Hope Fiat comes up with more ideas to get people know this. We, Fiat-ers can vow to play our part in this...!
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger

Grande Punto Vs Zen Estilo is like comparing a horse with a donkey.