1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Peculiar problem in my new Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Prosen_b, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Prosen_b

Prosen_b

Hello all,

Im a proud owner of a new 2012 Punto 1.3 MJD emotion(BNW), but ever since ive got the car home, ive been facing a peculiar problem with the multifunction display system,.

About 2 days into ownership, while getting into the car in the morning, the dashboard display was completely frozen.The clock was stuck at a weird time sometime in the night, and cranking the key to MAR, only turned on the yellow engine light, and the usual sound of the ECU doing its checks. After ignition, the engine light went off, but all other displays/lights on the dashboard, the odometer, fuel gauge, and the temp gauge remained dead.

The stalk controls were all working, so were all the lights, and power windows etc. The car was running fine, but i was running blind!!

I continued to office, meaning to take the car for a check up later, and sometime during the day, after i had reached work, and the card had been parked for about 2-3 hours, everything sprang back to life magically!

I thought it might be a loose connection somewhere and let it slide, but going back home, the same problem presented itself.It was almost as if the car needed to be warmed up for the electronic controls to be working!!

I immediately stopped at the dealership(oberoi motors in Noida), and had them check it out.The scanner showed an error code, of an intermittent/faulty code to the display console, and the technicians were as stumped as i was about what could be causing it.

They reconnected the battery, opened the ecu unit, cleaned all the contacts, and presto---it started working again..

ill cut a long story short---the problem keeps reappearing...sometimes while driving the display console goes dead, and restarts sometime later, as if the car has been turned on..

i've fought with the dealers to replace the battery thinking it could be the sign of a dying battery, but the problem refuses to die:

All electrical/relays checked for battery drain-all OK

Latest update today:

took the car in again to rectify the niggle, and they seem to have solved it(i hope its not temporary!!), by opening up the instrumentation console and cleaning/reconnecting all the leads, and doing a proxy alignment.

The scanners don't show any more errors, but im really scared the problem will reoccur

i dont think its a faulty console, but cant seem to figure out what triggers this incident, and my best guess will be a cold condition with moisture-(and Delhi will be getting a lions share of that this winter!!)

I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has faced something similar(ive read threads about flashing odo's, and that has also happened to me), or if anyone could point me out a good technician in delhi who can correctly analyse this problem and sort it out.

Thanks

Pb

PS: I've also written to fiat india---no response from them yet.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please do check your battery condition once.
  3. Prosen_b

Prosen_b

The battery is less than a week old---got it replaced---no starting problems....all other electricals work fine.
    Specific Gravity ok...cant seem to figure it out

i read in a forum that a faulty eart connection could cause electricals to misbehave---any ideas on how to go about checking/cleaning the earth terminals?(also need to know where they are located!!)

Thanks
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Prosen_b for week old battery as well as one month car this is a wierd problem. You have to catch the Service center guys to solve your issue on priority.
    For a new car how there can be a faulty connection? And don't try any other local garage guy as this car is different & need to be assisted by well trained mechanic only.
    There might be faluty connections but don't try to DIY.
  5. Prosen_b

Prosen_b

I know man.....its absolutely crazy, but the TASS service centre guys are severely lethargic/totally stumped as to the cause of this....i was wondering if anyone knows how to get some knowhow and technical insight from fiat directly----i have emailed them recently, but was wondering if there's anyone specific that might be able to help out------any ideas?

Thanks
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Prosen, check for the wiring connections (loose connections) it may be rats problem either from stockyard or parking area..
  7. Prosen_b

Prosen_b

Hmm...i agree...if only i can get the tass guys to actually spend some time on my car...they seem to really not want to entertain this problem...
    I've finally registered a complaint with fiat India...dunno when they will get back....just in case i need to escalate the matter, does anyone have an idea whom to contact in the Delhi/ncr region? Any help will be greatly appreciated....thanks