1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Pearl white Punto :D

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Palash Sharma, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Ya when windows are up there is no noise till 2500rpm,but when you roll down windows you here the noise of AC fan and compressor when you switch on AC.without AC the car is alive and there is less lag.Punto pulls cleanly from 1500 rpm compared to swift,ritz and i20 which pull after 2000rpm.in Punto there's a strong jerl from 2000rpm.Punto is Fantastic car for city driving compared to other diesel hatches because of its shorter gearing.ya this is the advantage of short gearing in B2B city traffic.pickup is good in 2nd to 5th gear but i like 4th and 5th gear and somewhat 3rd gear also which makes the car to fly on road without pressing accelerator pedal.yes absolutely 1st gear is very short and shoots the car like arrow on road.cruising below 2000rpm is very silent thing,no noise but after 2200-2500rpm the engine starts to make little more noise because it has shorter gearing and the car craves for more power because of its more weight.90hp wont make more noise because it has adequate power for its size.sound insulation cuts noise from coming in cabin and this makes engine sound to me hear very sporty and grouly.engine sounds more noisy and thrashy at its redline 4000-5000rpm.so dont worry about noise coming at 2200-2500rpm.let me clear ur doubt here,Punto's engine is more insulated than Figo.Punto is dead silent and it has best insulated cabin in its segment.its true.believe us buddy:).
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Palash,
    Looks like what i said might be wrong, i am sorry. What i know i said. I am open to correct myself.
  3. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    I did a long TD of 1.3 MJD Emotion about 10kms on Highway, but I didnt find any cabin noise. The car was really really silent. I have also observed the noise of both Figo and Punto from Outside and i really felt that GP has a much more refined engine noise as compared to Figo. Also i have also come to know from some of my firends who own Figo that the Figo diesel average goes drastically down after two years or so.
  4. Rajan, how old are you?
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Strange question. I am 50.

Rajan
  6. For the strange reply you gave it to zenwalker. Now, clear the mystery of this VGT FGT noise thing.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Pearl white Punto, take my money! Booked! :D

Zen, though engine blocks are same, many components differ! Fuel pump, Fuel injectors, rail pressure, turbocharger, ECU for starters.

And for a fact, 90HP feels more refined and the engine boom is not felt as in the 75HP atleast till 3.5k rpm.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Palash,

I have moved the thread to the Punto 1.3 section. You can continue this thread as your Ownership thread.

Cheers.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nothing strange with that reply. While everyone is entitled to their opinions, it annoys me no end, when some one simply makes a statement, based on what little they know, without bothering to find out facts first. What we post here and the accuracy of the information shared, defines the quality of this platform. Especially, when it comes to technical discussions. That is best left to experts, who know a lot more than any of us. Asking questions is a great way to learn, but making sweeping statements based on half-baked knowledge is very dangerous, both to the person making such statements and to the people reading it. I always like to say "The internet is both a boon & a bane, depending on what you look for, where you look and how hard you try". Wikipedia is a great source of information, but is not the ultimate, simply because it is written by internet users like us. It makes for an ideal starting point.

Technical knowledge is best gained from reading and studying whitepapers from the manufacturers, technical documents and research papers from scholars. Sadly, you will find them only in later pages returned by a Google search. The first few pages will be filled with results from dubious sources like discussion forums, social networking media, personal blogs and Wikipedia like references, none of which are authentic.

Here is the explanation to the mystery of the VGT Vs FGT noise levels:

Compared with the engine to which it is attached, the turbocharger may not strike the layman as a source of noise, but it is. After all, it is a high-speed rotational machine that generates fluctuations in air pressure. If those pressure fluctuations occur within the frequency range that is audible to humans; about 20 to 20,000Hz, then we can regard them as sound. Unwanted sound is noise and one of the many objectives when designing a turbocharger is to reduce that noise to a minimum.

Turbocharger noise emanates primarily from three sources. First, there is the body-radiated noise coming from vibration of the turbocharger’s body surface. Second, there is turbine exhaust noise, generated by the interaction between turbine blades and the gas flow. Finally, there is compressor intake noise, caused by the interaction of the compressor blades and the airflow.

This third source, compressor intake noise, popularly referred to as "Turbo Whistle", contains a wide range of frequency components of which the most dominant is normally at the blade-pass frequency. This frequency is equal to rotor speed multiplied by the number of main blades on the impeller. So, for an impeller with seven main blades and rotating at 60,000 to 120,000 rpm the blade-pass frequency is in a range from 7,000 to 14,000 Hz. The human ear is sensitive to tonal sound at these frequencies, so blade-pass noise is an issue that must be addressed.

It is only natural that this noise is affected not only speed and number of blades, but also by the angle of the blades with respect to impeller. Since this value is constant in a Variable Geometry Turbo, the noise is also constant with relation to the above parameters. However, in case of a Variable Geometry Turbo, the noise level is also variable, as the name suggests.

Moreover, your observation of hearing a "Tractor" has nothing to do with the Turbo being FGT or VGT. It is just the way the engine works.

Sorry about the long post. You asked for an explanation and I have shared it. If you feel this post is clogging your thread, please let me know and I will report and get it deleted. Or, if you so prefer, you can report it yourself.

Thanks,

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Rajan,

The explanation is a tad simpler - the 90hp is not restricted by the turbo to the extent the 75 is. That results in an engine which breathes better and performs better. That's it.

It is like splitting hairs because even the 75hp puts many diesels to shame.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.