1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

PDI observations & queries for my Punto 2012 Active MJD

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Ashish Agrawal, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Ashish Agrawal

Ashish Agrawal Timido

I will finally buying my long awaited, Punto 2012 Active Diesel in just a few days. Having throughly researched various forums for right tyre size, I am in a dilema, whether the new punto 2012, which has a GC of 185 mm, is upgradation to 185/70 R 14 right, or the stock size is of 165/80 R14 is perfect??

Since the GC has increased, i am wonderind if I change the SIZE of the stock tyre, will it effect the steering Geometery of my car?? Will it make the steering slightly hard?? Will the average of the car be affected? A lot of people also think, that increased GC in new punto, could lead to body roll, (although not reported so far) which might further aggrevate if the size of stock tire is changed.

I intend to change from the stock JK to Bridgestone ER60, but confused whether to keep the same size or change as above?

Experts, please advise..

Most probably I will be buying the car in next two days, but I have observed a peculiar problem in the car.

The car when brought from stock yard, had to be jumpstarted. Its VIN ends with ALZ, i.e it is manufactured in January 2012. The sales people said....the battery might have drained because it was lying for quite some time.

I want to know, I am being to skeptical about it OR it is normal?

I will be asking them to check the alternator, as well as charging voltage using the multimeter, the battery ofcourse, but still....experts advise sought?????
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    185/70 is perfect upgrade for stock tyre.
    Steering will be slightly hard, but it will not noticeable.
    Again, yes FE will be reduced, but not noticeable.

The owner of new cars have reported that the ride and handling is still unmatched.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It is a big YES to upgrade those skinny tires. Punto Active&Dynamic are under-tired from the factory.

Go for 185/70/14. The 165's are better suited to some Alto or i10 etc. (No pun intended :) )

4. i believe the battery gettinbg drained completely is suspicious a bit. it is suspicious as the explanation was being idle for some time. two months idle cant drain the battery completely so as to require a jumpstart.
  5. Anish_A

Hello Ashish

Me and a couple of my Friens Praveen and one of his friend got the car about a week back "Punto 2012". All Our VIN ends with BLZ which means Feb 2012.
    Not sure why you are getting a Jan 1012 model. Plese have it checked and ask for the latest make. You are paying for it and shouldn't be getting an old stock.

Also check the value of "H" in the odometer of the car before any paper works and ensure it is less than 35 or 40.

The stock tyres came was the regular JK tyres. I personally felt that there was some amount of discomfort AND noise using these set of stock tyres.

We replaced them with the michellian XM2 185/70 R14. We kept the same profile buy just did a upsize of the tyres.

I'm personally happy with the upgrade and also the comfort, breaking has improved and noice reduced.

IMO i will suggest that you change the tyres. We got a value of 2400 per tyre in exchange and paid 10,500 in a whole for 5 tyres.

Other Tfian members will be able to give you there opinions and then you can think how to proceed.

6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Punto also rubs those skinny tires like anything on Tarmac. A few of my friends have come up with complaints like Tires wear out@30000Kms in their cars (lower models with skinny tires). No surprise. It's very hefty car & wonder how FIAT India decided like that. Obvious it will make them some margin but how much?? best size is 195 IMO but even 185 would help a lot.
    It will enhance ride/control/braking efficiencies of your car too without denting your pocket. It will be back to it's grace with those fat tires in looks dept. too.
  7. singh

singh Amatore

Anything less than 195 width looks skinny on punto , 185/70 will be good option if not going for alloys but looks very fatty . 195/60 is best upgrade and handles well in comparison and i dont think the effect on steering and mileage will be noticeable.
  8. Ashish Agrawal

Ashish Agrawal Timido

Thanks everyone for quick responses :)

All dealers in south gujarat currently have stock of Jan 2012, they won't be ordering till their stocks get exhausted. Also since budget is around the corner, i don't wanna take any chances of excise on diesel cars....

The current deal that I am getting is
    ex-showroom price: 5,57,00
    Free RSA
    Free Insurance
    Free Extended Warranty
    Free Logistics / Handling
    Free Mud Flap / matting

+ Plus Rs 4500 cash discount....so it will cost be 5,53,000

I will getting the corporation tax & registration on my own, will save few thousands on agent fees which is hidden by dealer in their quotes.

I am getting the stock tyres changed to Bridgestone Turanza ER 60, 185/70R14, which will cost me 9000 (set of 4 tyres, after deducting 8800 for stock tyres)

Coming to my PDI observation, I went in again today, and the car cranked like the way, it normally should. However, will get the specific gravity, charging voltage in battery checked.
  9. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Congrats Ashish, For me, I was upset while on PDI for my 1.3 Dyamic due to bad tyres. Is your dealer going to upgrade the tyres or else you have to do in tyre vendors place?
  10. Ashish Agrawal

Ashish Agrawal Timido

pranavone....I saw your post regarding the tyre issue with pictures. Mine too had the same problem with the front tyres.
    I spoke to the Fiat sales head (not the dealer employee), that I will not accept the car with this set of tyres....and viola it was sorted. The dealer is going to put swap the front stock tyres of another punto with mine.

The tyre upgradation will be done at Bridgestone shoppee. The current stock tyre seems defective to me, (excatly like, in your pictures) and I doubt that the bridgestone dealer will not give full price, when he physically sees them, hence getting the swaped with another punto.