1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Para flu Coolant level in Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by shashanknathani, Dec 13, 2010.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Folks,
    My Linea is now at 53K kms, During 45K service, the coolant was replaced and about 2 weeks back (Odo at 52289) while filling water to the wiper reservoir, I noticed that the coolant level was lower than Min level. Took it to FASS Mohandas Motors, Trivandrum and they said it was normal to have drained the coolant after 7K kms. They topped it up to Max level, free of charge. To be on the safer side, I purchased 1 litre Paraflu.
    Today, when I checked again (Odo at 53425, diff of 1136km from last top up), the coolant level has dropped to Min level.
    I have topped to Max again.
    Is this a normal behaviour?? I visually checked for any leaks etc, I cannot see any.
  2. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Nopes this is not normal. After coolant change, slight dip in level is acceptable due to air trap release. However significant drop in coolant level in running of 1k kms is not acceptable. Please get the system checked for coolant leaks.
    pabhishek likes this.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Talked to FASS service advisor, he says he topped it to mid point between Max and Min (not to Max level) and the drop to Min level from there is normal, asked me to check the levels after another 1000 kms.
    He says it as there is no visual leak. Confused.
  4. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Alrighty keep a close watch on coolant levels especially before starting on long drives..
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Always check the coolant level when the coolant is not hot. Best time is in the morning when the car has rested overnight. In that situation coolant level should be steady over time. If not there is some leakage causing the level to go down. Sometimes the leakage may not be visible as liquid because a minor leakage leaking fluid only when the engine is hot near hot engine areas evaporates quickly without leaving liquid trace. However, if you observe carefully you will see some pink deposits in those areas where coolant is leaking. That confirms leakage and also indicates where the leakage is. Sometimes leakage is so minor and in awkward places which makes it difficult to see. Run your finger all around the coolant pipes (WARNING: do this only when the engine is not too hot, else you can have burns on your skin) and you will either catch a wet place or pink deposits. That again confirms leakage. In short - coolant level cannot keep going down even after repeated top ups if there is no leakage.

It is common for the coolant level to go above the level in cold condition when the coolant heats up. It is the general expansion of the liquid when it heats up. Therefore don't bother about the level variations in heating-cooling cycles.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  6. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    I had similar problems after 3rd service. Each time I topped up with Paraflu, it used to decrease, till I consumed one entire bottle. I was worried, when someone told me Paraflu is water + alcohol + ethylene glycol based, and some quantity of alcohol content will "evaporate" through air pockets, due to the excessive thermal gradient during run/stop cycles. I added 500mL distilled water, and the level is still holding. In Indian conditions, dilution of the coolant by a bit, has no adverse effect IMHO. It is holding for the last one year.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    AFAIK there is no alcohol in Paraflu coolant.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde, @puntophile,
    Thank you for inputs. I will check the pipe for leaks. If can't find, then I shall try the distilled water method.
  9. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I had similar dropping levels of coolant for about 3 months now. Every 100 kms from Max to min. But could not find any source of leak. Just this Monday, before going for a long trip of 1500 kms , the leak got bigger. And I could see a pool of coolant just below the radiator.. The proof of a leak. Took it to Bosch service very near to my place .. They got the radiator cleaned and the leak plugged from a radiator expert. By the time i for the car home it was 9pm and just an hour later I started my 500km drive with keeping a vigilant eye over the temp gauge. Alls well and it costed me 3.5k for the repairs.
    1750 - radiator repair and overhaul.
    600- coolant .
    1000 labour
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Wouldn't the leak be part of warranty?
    I'm on extended warranty now.