1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio To Linea TJet+ Upgrade

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by kr_vasudev, Jan 2, 2011.

1. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Hello Members,

Had any of you upgraded from Palio 1.2 / 1.6 to Linea TJet+ ?

I have few questions, Is Linea TJet + a better car compared to Palio in terms of

1. Suspension & Ride Quality
    2. Ground Clearance
    3. The build quality
    4. Fit & Finish
    5. Steering Feedback
    6. Rear bench space and comfort (In Palio on emergency we have accommodated 4 people and climbed Tirumala hill)

One test drive cannot give a feel on the above factors, Would be glad if i could get answers.

Thanks
    Vasu
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Vasudev,
    [*]a lot of members have upgraded from Palio 1.2 to Punto 1.2/1.3/1.4 for sure.
    [*]I am not able to recall if any Linea owner here has/had Palio.
    [*]Anyways, Linea/T-JET has more space as compared to Punto.
    [*]Suspension of Punto/Linea is similar. I do not know if T-Jet got any tweak to its suspension.
    [*]Ground clearance of T-JET is 170mm. There has been no report of scrapping by the owners. I don't know how the GC compares to Palio.
    [*]Rear bench space and comfort/steering feedback/fit and finish- Palio + Punto/Linea owners can comment.
  3. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    PaddleShifter, thank you very much for the details.
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I have upgraded from a Palio 1.6 S10 to a Punto MJD.

Baring the fantastic T-Jet engine, Punto and Linea are pretty similar cars in many areas. To answer your specific questions:

- Suspension & Ride Quality - The S10 specifically, has a hard suspension to go with it's powerful engine. I can say both Punto & Linea have better ride quality and handling compared to the Palio.

- Ground Clearance : Palio never scraped any road in 6 yrs of my ownership. Punto did it twice. Still, it's not a big deal , surely not a deal breaker.

- Build quality: Both are good. Fiat's have fantastic build quality on outside. They goof up a bit on the inside though. Both Palio & Linea/Punto have rough edges on the inside.

- Fit & Finish: A bit crude in both Palio and new Fiat's. If I have to pick, I'd say Palio had better fit and finish! Yes, I am not joking! The area around the steering, near the base of the seats where the seat belts are , these are all eye sores in MY Punto. From what we know T-Jet's have far better quality and fit and finish.

- Steering feedback: No doubt. Linea / Punto are light years ahead. The steering is heavy but lightens up well at parking speeds. Palio was heavy overall, all the time.

- Rear bench comfort: Palio was better then Punto.
  5. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Amit thank you for the information. I'm not that much worried about inside feel, I can live with that.

Recently, i did a trip to Bangalore - Mangalore, I would say the #1 worst NH road in India is in Shiradi Ghat Section, I did not scrape my Palio even once, be it on bad roads or mountain humps ::T .I actually do not recall scrapping my Palio even with full load.

The rear bench, i too felt Palio is very comfortable. In the month of November 2010, I did take my friends Punto 1.3 MJD on highway and i scraped 3 times :thumbs down , as you mentioned one needs to get adjusted to the driving style. Moreover the TJet+ has 170mm GC +1
  6. tjetdriver

tjetdriver Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    I had driven my friend's palio for a short distance. the clutch was really hard and gear shift was a bit hard.
    i did not find both those issues in tjet.. in fact the clutch is smooth and is not a long push
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    yes punto is really naught for gc...it loves kissing roads often. first day of purchase while getting out of showroom it scraped the bumps on gate.
    then it was a regular affair. getting used to and live with it. probably on the engine guard , so far did not see any scratch mark under the front bumper or anywhere else so much glad.
  8. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Thanks tjetdriver for pointing this difference.

+1 I agree clutch is hard in Palio

Regards
    Vasu
  9. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    since we are discussing the quality between palio vs linea/punto, then i must say the uno i bought 13 yrs back was way ahead in quality than any of the fiats till date. luckily i had the initial batch car, and it was full of imported goodies in it. i still have that car with me and its running super smooth. it has the 1000cc fire engine. the spare parts were too costly when compared to its rivals in its time say the zen, but the quality was really LONG LASTING. even the paint(red) is still super shinny. the doors have a solid thud. everything is in perfect operating condition even after 13 yrs.
    i judged linea on uno's parameter but i dont think it will last like my uno did. uno was a great car in its time. you should own it to believe me
  10. gautham

gautham Novizio

Coimbatore
    We upgraded from a Palio (1.2 ELPS) to a Linea.

1. Suspension & Ride Quality
    2. Ground Clearance
    3. The build quality
    4. Fit & Finish
    5. Steering Feedback
    6. Rear bench space and comfort

We looked at upgrading to a Punto, but felt that the rear bench space wasnt as comfortable as a Palio. In a Palio, we could always do a 4th person if necessary (in the rear). Rear space was one of the main reasons to opt for a Linea instead of a Punto. Also the boot space in the Linea is H U G E. The GC in Palio was anyday better. The steering feedback, Suspension & Ride Quality seems better in the Linea (difference of 7 years here). Also the equipment list is long. If you have driven a Palio, you will definitely enjoy the "Thud" in the linea when you close the doors. Note that Iam comparing 1.2 ELPS and not the GTX/ S10 versions.