1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Palio: Temperature Meter Increases and decreases very often

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Larryripper, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hi All,

Am new to this forum, i dont have enough knowledge about automobiles , am here to get some assistance regarding my Fiat palio car .

Issue is that temperature meter increases and automatically decreases very often , i get various of different answers when i ask my friends which actually scares me , now i am completely worried what will happen if i dont get it checked , please provide me inputs on what could be the cause and what steps needs to be taken to resolve this kind of issue . Thank you .
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    dont drive when the temp needle rises above mid level i,e normal level.

check coolant. check if fan is working properly. check if the thermostat valve is working perfectly and not stuck. check if water pump is working perfectly.

get all this checked by TASS
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    First of all Welcome to TFi.

When it comes to temperature gauge always check coolant level whether its between min and max mark.Check for leaks.Check ur radiator for leaks or minute punctures.If coolant not found upto the mark top up with distilled water.How is ur engine performing?? Does it overheat??
  4. Thank you for this quick response Italia :cool:

to explain the issue in detail , temp meter increases above the mid level when i drive the car slowly i.e if i am in 2nd or 3rd gear in traffic the meter will go above the mid level and once i go faster ie., shift the gear to 4th again the temp meter comes down little below the mid level , the fluctuation continues this way ..

My car is Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 .

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Hello Pioneeraaron , thank you for the reply

i will have to check all the details which you listed by a techinican bcoz i have zero knowledge about how to check those details , will be doing that tomorrow :)

about the engine performance - it is good , Pickup is nice .

Overheat - not that i noticed .
  5. Larry ,
    Along with the coolant level also check the engine oil level .Low engine oil level can alsocause friction and can increase the temperature.

If all fluid levels are good then you can check for any leaks ..

Ideally it should solve the problem .

Ajit.
  6. Thank you Ajit , will check all the specified information and get back :)
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    its very simple. when you drive slow you radiator does not get enough air. also when you drive in bumper to bumper traffic where there is a vehicle in front of you same thing happens.

as soon as the needle shifts above the normal mark the radiator fan should be working in full speed to cool it down. check whether fan is working perfectly.

Then check the coolant level and if coolant is not replaced for long time replace it.

if thats working perfectly check the thermostat valve operation. mostly they go bust and cause problem.

if that is working properly check the radiator blockage.

if that is working properly then there are chances that head gasket is gone and overheating the coolant.

its a step by step analysis.
    2 people like this.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Which Palio do you own, Larryripper?

Our Palio D does the same. The temp gauge needle is very happy to move around and is not comfortable to stay in one position.:p In bumper to bumper traffic, it comes close to the mid mark, and during night driving on highways, it falls asleep close to the lowest mark. :D This much is normal.

BUT, the needle should never cross the midway mark.

As outlined by Italia - Linea, get a check of the car's cooling system done. Even in peak bumper to bumper traffic, the halfway mark should not be crossed.

Cheers.
  9. hello Gur , I own a Palio Stile 1.6 Petrol .

I will get all the checks outlined by Italia and get back again with the results , Thank you very much guys .
  10. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Larry,

Welcome to the TFI. Palio is a very good car, for that matter any Fiat Car ;)

Keep us posted on the fix for the temp gauge

Regards
    Vasu